Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec HFD-08RD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HFD-08RD

anyone have info on this rx? is it a full range,dual conv rx? what shift is it or can it do both + and - ? i need pos for jr txs. channels aside how would this compare to an electron 6 ? any advice appreciated...thanks ..rob m
Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec HFD-08RD

ORIGINAL: rmorhan anyone have info on this rx? is it a full range,dual conv rx? what shift is it or can it do both + and - ? i need pos for jr txs. channels aside how would this compare to an electron 6 ? any advice appreciated...thanks ..rob m
HFD-08RD 8ch FM 40Mhz "Supreme" receiver
First Introduced in 1993 the Supreme became the world's most popular and most dependable aftermarket receiver. The Supreme receiver was available in a connector and shift compatible version for use with all modern FM transmitters.
. Crystal - The Hitec receiver is "center tuned"and will accept any Hitec dual conversion crystal (within same band) without re-tuning - other brand crystals are not compatible.
. Usage: Air ...Class: Standard...Channels: 8...Modulation: FM ...Frequency: various
. General Specs: Digital:No ... Range: 5280 feet... Receiver Shift:Yes... Voltage: 4.8 - 6.0... Current Drain: 19 mA +/- 3.0 mA... 1.34 ounces ...2.30 x1.40x.80 inches... Applications: - Pattern/Aerobatics - Standard Airplane - All Purpose.
. Refer previous answer:
HFD-08RD = Supreme
[NB: there were two versions one HFS-08RD on 72 mhz being a 7ch shift selectable via a jumper to enable switching between negative (Hitec & Futaba) and positive (JR/Airtronics) shift. The second 72Mhz version being full 8ch and available as negative or positive, shift not selectable. Does not apply to 35, 36, 40 0r 41 mhz as all 8ch negative shift]
Hitec HFD-08RD comprehensive review - Translate
Later, relocated old FAQ file:
"The world's most popular and most dependable aftermarket receiver goes one better and becomes shift selectable. So its a Hitec, Futabaâ„¢, JRâ„¢ or Airtronicsâ„¢ transmitter* the you fly with the Shift Selectable Supreme well here it is - Uses same case and packagin g as the HFD-08RD but it is only a 7ch because Ch 8 has been replaced with a jumper lead/socket to change between + & - shift.
Supreme FAQ = What types of planes should I use the Supreme in?
Q. What types of planes should I use the Supreme in?
A. The Supreme receiver can be used in any type of Aircraft.
Q. How long should the antenna be?
A. The antenna is 42 inches (1050mm). If you are replacing the antenna, make sure to use a multi-strand wire of about 28 gauge. Hitec also offers the antenna under the part number 58011.
Q. What crystal does the Supreme use?
A. The Supreme uses a dual conversion crystal. The part number is 66772xx (xx= channel number). To tell if your crystal is dual conversion or not, examine the pull tab. If the tab has blue end and the letters 'RF' on it, then it is a genuine Hitec dual conversion crystal. Use only genuine Hitec crystals in the Supreme or it will have decreased range.
Q. What transmitter will the Supreme work with?
A. The Supreme is available in four different configurations. The 23272 (negative shift) is for Futaba and Hitec transmitters when using Futaba 'J' servos. The 23572 (negative shift) is for Hitec and Futaba transmitters when using Hitec 'S' servos. The 23672 (positive shift) is for Airtronics and JR transmitters when using Airt 'Z' and JR style servos. The 23872 (shift selectable) is for all of the transmitters.
Q. Which way do the servos plug in?
A. Looking at the top of the receiver, starting from left to right, it is signal, positive and negative.
Q. What are the channel assignments?
A. Channel assignments are set by the transmitter being used. In the case of Hitec, channel 1 is ailerons, channel 2 is elevator, channel 3 is throttle and channel 4 is rudder.
Q. Where can I plug the receiver battery?
A. The battery can be plugged into any available slot.
Q. I have an ESC, which channel do I plug it into?
A. If you are using an ESC with a Hitec transmitter, plug it into the throttle channel (ch 3).
Q. I have the 23872 shift selectable Supreme receiver. What is the jumper for?
A. The position of the jumper selects the shift configuration. If you look at the top of the receiver you will see three pins in the configuration slot. If the jumper is grounding the left and middle pins, the receiver will work with negative shift transmitters. If it is grounding the middle and right pins, it will work with positive shift transmitters. The receiver will not work without the jumper."
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 AM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

thanks alot for the info alan....rob m
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM
ponda
My Feedback: (1)

hi..I was recently given the #23872 receiver..with the jumper....He said that it would never work..I thought these were pretty good items..I have been trying to get it to function also for my Futaba trans....I put the jumper into the lowest slot in the position for Futaba..nothing..tried it the other way..nothing....I am wondering if this receiver ever had the battery plugged into the select slot...no way to know...would this hurt it if so....I have another Hitec with the green lite..hooked same battery and servo into it and it worked , so I know everything is good current wise..Any suggestions...? Are these receivers still available..wonder about sending it to Hitec..?

Thx for any suggestion...joe
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 AM
A.T.

Ensure a genuine Hitec blue tipped dual conversion crystal, on same frequency as your TX, is installed and jumper is in the "Futaba" position.
Otherwise refer = Hitec service information
Regards
Alan T.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
ponda
My Feedback: (1)

Yes..Have the genuine Hitec crystal....Looking at the front of the receiver in a "normal" book position..
The jumper is in the lowest slot..it says "select" So, is the jumper position grounding the far left with the middle...?

I'm still curious if the battery in that slot could damage this receiver...cause when I took it out of the box...the jumper was in the top most slot
and a pigtail to connect the battery with was in the lowest slot I think where the jumper should go...But it says battery may be connected to any slot...does that include the select slot and the jumper goes elsewhere..?
"
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 AM
kerwin50

Will running a 5 cell Nimh hurt this RX, I just had to replace on because it would not work with my RCexcel electronic kill switch. I had been using this RX for some time on a 5 cell.
I just put an electronic kill switch on channel 5, my electronic kill switch would only come on for a second and then go off. I noticed if I move any stick it would come on again for a second then go off.
Yet it would run a servo just fine.
I replace it with another RX just like it and it works fine.
I'm just worried that the one I just installed could also do this at a furture time?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: kerwin50 Will running a 5 cell Nimh hurt this RX, I just had to replace on because it would not work with my RCexcel electronic kill switch. I had been using this RX for some time on a 5 cell.
I just put an electronic kill switch on channel 5, my electronic kill switch would only come on for a second and then go off. I noticed if I move any stick it would come on again for a second then go off.
Yet it would run a servo just fine. I replace it with another RX just like it and it works fine.
I'm just worried that the one I just installed could also do this at a furture time?
1. The Hitec Supreme series of receivers were designed to be operated with both 4 & 5 cell NiCD &NiMH receiver battery packs. The receiver simply transfers the signal sent by the Tx on respective channels.
2. Which transmitter? channel 5 on many Tx is a fixed gear channel usually switched to be eitheron or off. Most electronic switches/ESC require the trim or end point of relative channel to be extended 20%< 50% so as to meet the operating range of the electronic switch. If unable to test byextending EPA on that channel, confirm with the manufacturer that it iscompatible with oldertransmitters.
. After Market Accessories - Ignition Systems, Leads, Modules & Switches - Cautions.

. Supreme History & Channel Assignment.pdf attached includes relative manuals for each in the series.

Alan T.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ca80975.pdf (387.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 AM
kerwin50

My radio is a Futaba 9C
I have all the mixes inhibited and channel 5's EPA set at 140 on both ends.
My RX works well except it does not like the kill switch. I put another identical RX in it and the kill switch works fine.
Whats funny is, all the channels work well with servos it's just a kill switch that the orignal RX didn't like.

In your link it stated the operating voltages of 4.3 to 6 volts.
My 5 cell Nimh typical charges to 7.2 volts
Will this work or should I put a lipo and a 6volt reg on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: kerwin50 My radio is a Futaba 9C
I have all the mixes inhibited and channel 5's EPA set at 140 on both ends.
My RX works well except it does not like the kill switch. I put another identical RX in it and the kill switch works fine.
Whats funny is, all the channels work well with servos it's just a kill switch that the orignal RX didn't like.
In your link it stated the operating voltages of 4.3 to 6 volts. My 5 cell Nimh typical charges to 7.2 volts
Will this work or should I put a lipo and a 6volt reg on it.
First section last response:
"1. The Hitec Supreme series of receivers were designed to be operated with both 4 & 5 cell NiCD &NiMH receiver battery packs. "
4.8v &6.0v beingthe Nominal Voltages of those packs. 7.2v on a 5 cell pack is the "float" charge and dissipates very quickly

If the kill switch works well with another identical receiver and same Tx, then that one receiver
on which it is not working must have a fault.
Try swapping the crystal from the working supreme receiver to the suspect unit.
<dt>. Crystals - Why Transmitter & Receiver Crystals Fail Without Warning (or after being dropped)
. Transmitter On First - Off Last is very important with the later model Supreme series. (Versionnot disclosed)

If a new crystal fixes the problem good, otherwise would send in for service.
Hitec Warranty & Service
</dt>
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
All other countries see appropriate distributor for service.
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 AM
kerwin50

Thanks alot AT thats really what I wanted to hear.
I'll try the crystal.
I'm thinking when ever there is a stick movment it's affecting my frame rate.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 PM
PeterDays

Hello, I have one of these receivers, and I want to use it with a Hobbico Life 6,6 volts 1100 mah battery. From what I understand from the spec's here there should be no problem. Can anyone please confirm.
Thanks for your time
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 AM
motie

Does the HFD-08RD use PPM, PCM, or some other kind of signal format? Thanks.