Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec 2.4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:03 AM
wheelsdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec 2.4 conversion

ORIGINAL: Barlingbomber

Wheelsdown (Gene),

quick question. After breaking the connection between pins 3 and 4 do you know if the regular 72 MHZ (individual channel or synthesized ) modules will still work? Also is the resistor optional or a must? Sorry if the question is a dumb one but I'm electronics illiterate (good with wood though!)

thanks,

Phil
Hi Phil,
The Hitec Spectra 72mHz module will work as before after cutting the track between pins 3 and 4. No problem there. In fact, it works in my Futaba 7U which has a voltage on pin three. The voltage on pin 3 in the Futaba is what led me to finding the problem on the Prism 7 in the first place.
Good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 AM
wheelsdown

Hi,
I just bought a 2.4GHz adapter kit that comes with two 7 Ch receivers from Tower Hobbies. I have a Hitec Prism 7 and Eclipse7 transmitters both of which have worked fine for years with the spectra, 72MHz and 35 MHZ modules (I used to live in the UK)I have for them. I attached the aerial and plugged in the 2.4 GHz module in as per the instructions and then followed the steps for setting up the Transmitter Receiver link in Normal Mode (press the button on the module, switch on then release the button etc)

• On the Eclipse set neither of the LED lights (Blue or Red )come on

Phil,
I have been thinking about this and I don't know for sure but I would think that the red LED would shine no mater what mode you are in. Without looking at it it would seem that it is not getting power to the module. I wonder if one of the pins got bent or something wrong with the battery connection. Could the antenna have touched something inside the Eclipse and shorted out the battery when removed and blown a fuse if it has one? Just a thought.
Regards
Gene

• On the Prism set the red LED light comes on but is not flashing.

The blue light does not light up on either set

On the receivers, again I followed the instructions, pressed the button and then plugged in the battery, then released the button. On both receivers the red light came on and flashes but nothing else happens.

From the posts above I see I may have to do some work on the Prism 7 but I am at a loss to understand why the Eclipse 7 won't work at all when it works fine with a spectra or 72 MHz module plugged in the back???

any ideas?

By the way I also plugged in a receiver battery and servos to the receivers to check if the connection had already been set up but the servos did not move when I moved the sticks so I guess not.

Hi Phil,
I agree with the post from Alan's Hobby that you may have the Eclipse 7 set to the wrong frequency shift. Should be set on negative shift and PPM transmission. The Eclipse 7 of a friend's is the transmitter that I first checked out my Hitec 2.4 module when it wouldn't work in my Prism 7. When you get it all working, I am sure you will like the unit. I have ordered a second one. One for my Prism 7 and one for the Futaba 7U.
Regards

Phil
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM
wheelsdown

ORIGINAL: wheelsdown

Wheelsdown (Gene),

quick question. After breaking the connection between pins 3 and 4 do you know if the regular 72 MHZ (individual channel or synthesized ) modules will still work? Also is the resistor optional or a must? Sorry if the question is a dumb one but I'm electronics illiterate (good with wood though!)

thanks,

Phil
Hi Phil,
The Hitec Spectra 72mHz module will work as before after cutting the track between pins 3 and 4. No problem there. In fact, it works in my Futaba 7U which has a voltage on pin three. The voltage on pin 3 in the Futaba is what led me to finding the problem on the Prism 7 in the first place.
Good luck
Sorry, I missed one of your questions. You do not need to add a resistor on pin 3. Just leave it open with nothing connected to it.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Barlingbomber

Thanks Alan and Gene,

The TX was set to PPM , not sure about the negative shift. I'll go check that out and let you know!

thanks guys,

Phil
Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Barlingbomber

Gene,

you're a genius! I scraped away the contact between pins 3 and 4 and hey presto! I have a working 2.4Gig module on my Prism 7! easy when you know how. All I have to figure out now is why my Eclipse won't work. Its on PPM now I need to cherck the negative shift thing and then lets see. I'll keep you posted in case that doesn't work,

many thanks again,.

Phil
Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Barlingbomber

Hi A.T.

I'm happy to report both the eclipse and Prism are woring with the 2.4 Ghz unit. The grounding alteration didi it for thhe Prism and the shift for the Eclipse. I wonder how long it would have taken me to sort all that out in the days before forums?? Many thanks,

Phil
Old 10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
wheelsdown

Hi A.T.

I'm happy to report both the eclipse and Prism are woring with the 2.4 Ghz unit. The grounding alteration didi it for thhe Prism and the shift for the Eclipse. I wonder how long it would have taken me to sort all that out in the days before forums?? Many thanks,

Phil
Congratulations on getting them both working. Your forum friends are here to help when ever needed.
Happy flying.
Gene
Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Barlingbomber

roger that, chocks away!!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Brendan Lugo

Gene,

you're a genius! I scraped away the contact between pins 3 and 4 and hey presto! I have a working 2.4Gig module on my Prism 7! easy when you know how. All I have to figure out now is why my Eclipse won't work. Its on PPM now I need to cherck the negative shift thing and then lets see. I'll keep you posted in case that doesn't work,

many thanks again,.

Phil
If it's set to PPM then it should work no matter if it is set for + or - shift. It may simply be that you need to do the binding process a couple times to get a proper bind.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Barlingbomber

Brendan,

Thanks for the input. I eventually set up my 2 receivers using the Prism 7 set modified as per the advice in this forum. When I first plugged the module into the Eclipse, no light would come on at all. However after linking the receivers into the module, I transferred it to the Eclipse and it all worked fine. Next time I get a 2.4 gHz receiver I will try again and link it using the Eclipse and see what happens,

regards,

Phil
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
metafizz

Hello Gene,

Cutting the track to pin 3 worked very well for my son's Prism 7 conversion to 2.4GHz Spectra!

Thanking you!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
orcrest

Brendan or Mike

Just received the Module and 2 x 7ch RX package today. Great looking packaging but just one issue that maybe you could look at.

The RX aerial is unsecured and left to flop around under the display tray in the box. One of my aerials must have been resting in a corner as the fine silver wire that comes out the end was bent over and there is a definite crimp in the plastic sheath. Hopefully this won't turn into a point of weakness that may cause it to snap off after time and vibration etc.

I found that if you used the elastic that holds the RX in the tray and took one end back through one of the holes to create a loop top and bottom, it was able to secure the aerial against the underside of the RX position.

Or perhaps you could do what you did with the cardboard tray for the plastic antenna adapter but underneath and secure the aerials that way.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 PM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

Wow, I am glad I found this thread. I just today received the Hitec Spectra 2.4 AFHSS module and receiver, then realized my radio was a Prism 7. I thought I had messed up when I read the instructions, but apparently, I haven't.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
enio

Hi

I bought a Corona 2.4Ghz CT8F Module DSS and I have put in a Hitec
Prism 7x.
All right. Tx and Rx are connected well and responds well to commands.
But .....
The problem is that everything works well, while the Tx batteries are
above 10 volts (measured with the display of the radio).
When 10 volt low, you lose the connection between Tx and Rx, and no
way of restablecersa, just changing the pack with one that has more
than 10 volts. The pack is placed 2000 mA, and 72 Mhz works perfectly
up to 9 volts.

Anyone have any idea about this?

I think the battery is not because I have recycled, and charged
several times and respond well, keeping the load. Even when placed in
the Tx module with the Corona Module, falls on those first volt load
and then passes the 9.8 volt, stable, and stays for long.

I've changed for another and the same happens.

Nor is it logical that he can not work with 9.8 volt.

thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Brendan Lugo

Sounds like a "Corona" issue. You probably want to contact that company for help.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
wheelsdown

ORIGINAL: enio

Hi

I bought a Corona 2.4Ghz CT8F Module DSS and I have put in a Hitec
Prism 7x.
All right. Tx and Rx are connected well and responds well to commands.
But .....
The problem is that everything works well, while the Tx batteries are
above 10 volts (measured with the display of the radio).
When 10 volt low, you lose the connection between Tx and Rx, and no
way of restablecersa, just changing the pack with one that has more
than 10 volts. The pack is placed 2000 mA, and 72 Mhz works perfectly
up to 9 volts.

Anyone have any idea about this?

I think the battery is not because I have recycled, and charged
several times and respond well, keeping the load. Even when placed in
the Tx module with the Corona Module, falls on those first volt load
and then passes the 9.8 volt, stable, and stays for long.

I've changed for another and the same happens.

Nor is it logical that he can not work with 9.8 volt.

thanks
Hello Enio,
I don't have a Prism 7x but I have a Prism 7 that I tested. I let the battery run down to 9.7 Volts and tested my Corona module in it. It seems to work OK after I got it bound together. It worked with both turning the receiver on first and the transmitter on first. Often though I had to make several attempts to get the receiver to connect after it was bound. This is a typical problem with the Corona system I have found. Also it needs rebound almost everytime you use it if not used for awhile. Not a good thing. I have found that the ASSAN system works best as of course the Hitec AFHSS Spectrum module. Both of these work great. I wish I could help you more but all I can say is my Corona works in my Prism 7 with the voltage down to 9.7.
I have found that the Corona does not reconnect if the signal is lost for a moment as you mentioned. Also not a good thing. The Hitec and ASSAN do reconnect.
Best Regards