Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

CAN I USE AN RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN I USE AN RX

I want to install some LED's into the rudders of a plane that I want to simply function as running lights. From what I can figure out, I have some on/off switches on my TX i.e AUX. I am not using that plug. When I measure voltage across the leads coming from the RX, I get a really low voltage on one side and a much higher voltage on the other.

Q) Can I simply use a direct line to the LEDS or must I use a servo?

If I use the landing gear plug, all I have is a toggle switch to activate them. Switch OFF and the LG goes up. As I see it, these are on/off's..

yes / no ?

marwen1
Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
rcacro

Default RE: CAN I USE AN RX

LEDs can not be connected directly to an output on a receiver. you can use either a servo to operate a mechancial switch or there are electronic switches that can be purchased that will plug into the receiver output.
Note, most receivers operate on 5 volts. The LEDs work on 2.1 volts so you will need a voltage droping resistor to set the correct current for the leds you plan to use.
Yes the LG channel is a ON/OFF fucntion and can be used as the control channel
John W.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM
marwen1

HI JOHN:

Well, as we all know - it only takes two wires. The low side of my LG is 2.3V the hi side is 5.3 V

Anyway, that being the case, I think I found a PC board in my junk box that will fire up either 3 or 4 LED's but now I have to contend with a separate battery.

Maybe it'll keep me airborne a little longer.

marwen1
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Sir Raleigh

marwin1, I have landing lights (2) on the LE of the wings on my planes. I use the main flight battery to power them. I plug in the battery the lights come on, I unplug the battery and the lights go off. I use these lights to help me with orentation during a flight. It's easy to tell if the plane is coming toward or going away from me. They're also a good indication whether or not my flight battery is still plugged in after a flight.

However, my point is, you can use this site to determine what size resistor to use based on the various specifications of the LEDs you plan to use and the source voltage.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Bill
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
marwen1

Hi Bill

Thanks for that link

Here's what I use

marwen1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version