Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aurora 9 flaperon set up

I am starting to work on programming my first plane into the A9 and I want to set it up with flaperons as it does in my other radios. I have used the Acro mode and the indicated the plane has 2 aileron servos. The channels being 1 and 5 per the instructions for dual aileron servos.

What is the recommended approach for programming flaperons? Do I use a PMIX and slave the channels? I am thinking that isn't the case because I already told the TX to use Ch 5 for the other aileron servo.

Thanks
    Chris Spierings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Aurora 9 flaperon set up

ORIGINAL: CSpierings I am starting to work on programming my first plane into the A9 and I want to set it up with flaperons as it does in my other radios. I have used the Acro mode and the indicated the plane has 2 aileron servos. The channels being 1 and 5 per the instructions for dual aileron servos. What is the recommended approach for programming flaperons? Do I use a PMIX and slave the channels? I am thinking that isn't the case because I already told the TX to use Ch 5 for the other aileron servo.Thanks
    Depending on what you select, the radio will automatically optimize the functions for your choices.
    In other words, if you select a wing type without flaps, there will be no flap function control.
    Note options in that model memories programming.

1. Select "System Settings" > "MDLType"> Wing = "2AILE".
    User will note Ch1 AILE:J1 Ch5 AIL2:J1 is preset when checked on the Channel menu.
    2. Enter Model menu 2/2 select "FLAP CON" > Select "NULL" > select which switch you desire (e.g. "G") flaps to be on.
    3. Return one screen, and set amount of flap control required for each of the two servos, say reduce from 100% (no movement) to 60% - 70% for both. User can also mix in "ELEV: 0%", increasing the "0" as desired.

Regards
    Alan T.
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about flaps and flaperons......2AILE & 2FLAP. Can't seem to get second flap to work. I'm sure it's me but could use a little help.
    Thanks

Jim D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jd391 How about flaps and flaperons......2AILE & 2FLAP. Can't seem to get second flap to work. I'm sure it's me but could use a little help. Thanks Jim D
    Aurora A9 - Flapperon - Set up Flaps and for 2Aile & 2Flap =
    Select "[Model Type]"> "WingType" > "2AILE+2FLAP" >"Set">[Tail Type] "Normal" . > "Set" > [Engine Type] > [Single Engine] > "Set" > [Retracts] Y/N >"Set" .[Airbrake] Y/N > "Set"[Fuel Mixture] > Y/N > [Channel Function] >
    shows Ch1 & Ch5 = Aile: J1 & J1 (Stick one)
    .........Ch6 & Ch7 = Flap & FLP2: LS (Left Slider)
    [Sure? select Y/N]
    Turn TX Off then Reboot, turn RX On
    Checked AOK..

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated}

Regards
    Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes that works great, but is there a way to add flapperons to the mix.
    Thanks again

Jim D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jd391 Yes that works great, but is there a way to add flapperons to the mix.
    Thanks again Jim D
    Please advise exactly whatset up is required.
    Read "2AILE & 2FLAP" as being one aileron and one flap servo per wing which usually means the outer two servos are ailerons and the inner two are flaps which canalter position - positive <> negative.
    Flapperons refer to one aileron per wing functioning as both ailerons on J1 and flaps (slider on Aurora/Optic 6. or on a rotary knob TX such as Eclipse)
    Perhaps flaps mixed with ailerons so each combined surface is also an aileron?
    1. Enter settings > Model> P.Mixes>Aileron-Flap1>select> enter %rate required for left & Right movement.
    2. Enter settings > Model> P.Mixes>Aileron-Flap2>select> enter %rate required for left & Right movement.
    (each flap servo, asdisplayed by numbers on screen,requires own P.Mix)
    Regards
    Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Alan

I am trying to emulate a full scale Beaver where the flaps and flapperons work in conjunction with each other.
    The flaps are on a three position switch with servos slowed to three seconds with the last position being full flap.
    It is this last position where I want the ailerons to drop to flapperon position just like the real deal. I'm sure it's
    possible with this TX but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure out the mix.
    I do appreciate your time
    Thanks

Jim D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jd391 Hi Alan I am trying to emulate a full scale Beaver where the flaps and flapperons work in conjunction with each other. The flaps are on a three position switch with servos slowed to three seconds with the last position being full flap. It is this last position where I want the ailerons to drop to flapperon position just like the real deal. I'm sure it's possible with this TX but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure out the mix. I do appreciate your time Thanks Jim D

Aurora A9 - Set up Flaps for 2Aile & 2Flap with Flapperon for Scale Beaver.

Refer to attached pictorial guide added 17Jan09 or:

Select "[Model Type]"> "WingType" > "2AILE+2FLAP" >"Set">[Tail Type] "Normal" . > "Set" > [Engine Type] > [Single Engine] > "Set" > [Retracts] Y/N >"Set" .[Airbrake] Y/N > "Set"[Fuel Mixture] > Y/N > [Channel Function] >
    Ch1 & Ch5 = Aile: J1 & J1 (Stick one)
    Ch6 = Flap : LS (highlight LS) > "SEL" > amend to "E"
    Ch7 = FLP2: LS (highlight LS) > "SEL" > amend to "E"
    [Sure? select Y/N]
    Turn TX Off then Reboot and test above as basic settings
    Do not use [AIL-FLP] under Settings>Model screen 1 as that does not provide for servo time setting.

1. Enter settings > [FLT.COND] > [COND-2] > set. Select time "0" and adjust with up arrow to 3.0.
    . Move switch to forward position and change OFF TO ON.

2. Enter settings > Model> P.Mixes>FLAP > AILE >select. Move switch “E” to forward position.
    . tap “Rate” and “+” to increase to 100% rate or as required for left & Right movement.
    . Select switch E and change “ON” to the forward position return and Tap ”C” to change to “S”.

3. Enter settings > Model> P.Mixes>FLP2 > AILE >select. Move switch “E” to forward position.
    . tap “Rate” and “+” to increase to 100% rate or as required for left & Right movement.
    . Select switch E and change “ON” to the forward position return and Tap ”C” to change to “S”.

4. Enter settings > [S.Speed]
    a) tap AILE to highlight L & R, use “+” to increase to 3.0 if slow speed required both going up and down or just “L” if slow down only.
    b) tap AIL2 to highlight L & R, use “+” to increase to 3.0 if slow speed required both going up and down or just “L” if slow down only. Tap “C” to change to “S”.
    c) Tap ½ to enter 2nd screen and select switch “E’. Tap “NORMAL” top left of screen to change to “[Cond-2]”

5. Enter [Cond-2] and set Speed : 3.0

Controls then operate as understood for Scale Beaver

Double check EPA's to ensure full flap does not bind aileron servos.

Regards
    Alan T.

Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[deleted - duplicated post #8 amendments)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alan

You are real close, but flaps are moving with ailerons.
    sequence shoud be:
    switch e
    position 1 normal flight
    position 2 partial flaps
    position 3 full flaps and flapperons
    flaps need to stationary in all three positions

Thanks again
    Jim D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jd391 Alan You are real close, but flaps are moving with ailerons.
    sequence shoud be: switch e
    position 1 normal flight
    position 2 partial flaps
    position 3 full flaps and flapperons - flaps need to stationary in all three positions Thanks again
    Jim D
    Ah that was much easier than trying to set up full length ailerons mixed with flapperons as was my original understanding, please check amended post #8, even ailerons keep proper speed whilst lowering as flaps...
    regards
    Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alan

I installed this mix three times and still have a problem with channel five.
    If you go to monitor and watch chanel five when you hold hard right ailiron
    and switch E from 2nd to 3rd position you will see what I mean. Channel 5
    moves in the delayed motion. Maybe I am missing something in the setup.

Thanks
    Jim D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jd391 Alan I installed this mix three times and still have a problem with channel five.
    If you go to monitor and watch chanel five when you hold hard right ailiron and switch E from 2nd to 3rd position you will see what I mean. Channel 5 moves in the delayed motion. Maybe I am missing something in the setup. Thanks Jim D
    1. TXon - Select >Settings>[Channel] and check Ch1:AILE = J1, Ch2: Elev = J3, Ch3:Thro = J2, Ch4: Rudd= J4, Ch 5 Ail2 = J1, Ch6 = Flap = E, Ch 7:Flp2 = E. Ch8: Aux1 = Null, Ch9:Aux2 = Null. or amend as necessary.
    2.With settings provided post #8,
    J1 controls both Ailerons if plugged into Receiver slots 1 & 5.
    "E" in forward position only also controls both ailerons,on which command both aileronsdroopslowly togetheras flaps, yet retain full aileron responses.
    When "E" is flicked back to middle or rear position, the two ailerons immediately revert to normal aileron position without delay.
    3. The two flap servos must be plugged into receiver channels 6 and 7 with both flaps up when "E" is rearward. The twoflapsdrop in two stages (as set) say 50 % when "E: is in middle position and Fully down when "E" is in forward positon withoutdelays.
    (Above tested with standardHitec servos -used digitals may need to be reset to factory default.)

regards
    Alan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alan ( way way south of Tucson )
    I have a electric Modeltech Magic with 5 servos.
    Chl 1 R aileron
    Ch 2 Elevator
    Ch 3 Throttle ESC
    Ch 4 Rudder
    Ch 5 L aileron
    Ch 6 not used
    Ch 7 Tail wheel steering - Battery

I would like to use switch E to do the following:
    Down position: Ailerons normal 0 degrees
    Middle position Ailerons up + 7 degrees
    Upper position Ailerons up +14 degrees

This gives two positions for stable landings with a higher angle of attack for
    no bounce and less floating landings.

I have it programmed now, using camber, for:
    Down position 0 degrees
    Middle position 0 degrees
    Upper position +7 degrees

I just am having a hard time getting 3 positions like I have with my
    7202's and DX7.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As per post #2 that worked pefect for flaprons, could you please add a simple way to achive 3 second delay to flaprons?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dmaaero As per post #2 that worked pefect for flaprons, could you please add a simple way to achive 3 second delay to flaprons?
    Update to post #2,

"Depending on what you select, the radio will automatically optimize the functions for your choices.
    In other words, if you select a wing type without flaps, there will be no flap function control.

1. Select "System Settings" > "MDLType"> Wing = "2AILE".
    User will note Ch1 AILE:J1 Ch5 AIL2:J1 is preset when checked on the Channel menu.
    2. Enter Model menu 2/2 select "FLAP CON" > (defaults to LS). If a switch is preferred, select "NULL" > select which switch you desire (e.g. "G").
    3. Return one screen, and set amount of flap control required for each of the two servos, say reduce from 100% (no movement) to 60% - 70% for both. User can also mix in "ELEV: 0%", increasing the "0" as desired.
    NB: When using two aileron servos in flapperon mode, servo speed can not be adjusted for the flaps without also impacting on the speed at which the ailerons move (slow ailerons not recommended). If slow flap speed required, then usedefault setting with Flaps assigned to the Left Slider (or transfer to Right Slider) and increase/decrease flaps at required speed manually.

Regards
    Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With JR 7202's and Spektrum DX7 ( they have almost identical software ) I can get 3 settings
    of spoilerons / flaperons with a 3 position switch. How is this done with the Aurora 9?????
    I have connected the camber up to the slider switch, but disconnected it due to my accidentally
    bumping the switch causing disruptions in flight. So I much prefer a three position switch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: griesel With JR 7202's and Spektrum DX7 ( they have almost identical software ) I can get 3 settings of spoilerons / flaperons with a 3 position switch. How is this done with the Aurora 9?????
    I have connected the camber up to the slider switch, but disconnected it due to my accidentally
    bumping the switch causing disruptions in flight. So I much prefer a three position switch.
    I should have qualifiedthe above post related to trials under Acro, will re-check under Glider mode later today, together with your 3 position switch, and revert if anything different found.
    Aurora A9 - Slider DIY Centre Detente (Notch) Slider - two notches in the sliderwould assist maintain 3position locations with the slider.
    Some very good tips and screen shots at
    Aurora A9 - DLG Set up guide with many screen shots for setting Camber, P.Mixes, Flap Control etc *

regards
    Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: dmaaeroΒ*Β* As per post #2 that worked pefect for flaprons, could you please add a simple way to achive 3 second delay to flaprons?
    Update Β*to post #2,

''Depending on what you select, the radio will automatically optimize the functions for your choices.

1. Select ''System Settings'' > ''MDLType''> Wing = ''2AILE''.
    2. Enter Model menu 2/2 select ''FLAP CON'' >Β* (defaults to LS). If a switch is preferred, select ''NULL'' > select which switch you desire (e.g. ''G'').
    3. Return one screen, and set amount ofΒ* flap control required for each of the two servos, say reduce from 100% (no movement) to 60% - 70% for both. User can also mix in ''ELEV: 0%'', increasing the ''0'' as desired.
    NB: Β*When usingΒ* two aileron servos in flapperon mode, servo speed can not be adjusted for the flaps without also impacting on the speed at which the ailerons move (slow ailerons not recommended).Β* If slow flap speed required, then useΒ*default setting with Flaps assigned to the Left Slider (or transfer to Right Slider) and increase/decrease flaps at required speed manually.

Regards
    Alan T.

Β*

When I enter the flap con menu on my A9 I don't have the option of selecting either of the slider's for flap control. I want to operate flaps on a Beaver with the LS and at the same time have some down elevator mixed in. I can get it working on a 3 way switch "E" but want it on the slider.
    Life\'s tough, it\'s tougher when you are stupid.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Enticer When I enter the flap con menu on my A9 I don't have the option of selecting either of the slider's for flap control. I want to operate flaps on a Beaver with the LS and at the same time have some down elevator mixed in.
    I can get it working on a 3 way switch "E" but want it on the slider.
    Unable to test tonight, but user should be able to select swtich or slider from the channel menu, given setup was in correct order:
    . Aurora 9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters must be set in correct ordere.g. V_tail, see chart.

Alan T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can select LS for the flaps in the channel menu but then the flaps will only operate if the Flap Con menu is inhibited. If I select NULL for flaps in the channel menu then I can activate Flap Con and get everything working with elevator mix on switch A to G, no slider option.
    Life\'s tough, it\'s tougher when you are stupid.