Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora9 Fail Safe

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora9 Fail Safe

Hi all,

I've set up my failsafe so that all flight controls go neutral (more or less) and the engine goes to idle. I use a smartfly opti-kill switch on the ignition, and an optima9 receiver. When I test the failsafe by shutting off the transmitter the receiver seems to stop powering everything for a split second, servos lose power and control surfaces droop, and the opti-kill is shut off. After that split second everything comes back on and the control surfaces move to their preset positions as well as the opti-kill comes back to life.

The theory with this type of set up is that if there is a momentary glitch, one would want the engine to keep idling, but with the behaviour observed I am worried that the engine will be cut off.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aurora9 Fail Safe

ORIGINAL: CSpaced Hi all, I've set up my failsafe so that all flight controls go neutral (more or less) and the engine goes to idle. I use a smartfly opti-kill switch on the ignition, and an optima9 receiver. When I test the failsafe by shutting off the transmitter the receiver seems to stop powering everything for a split second, servos lose power and control surfaces droop, and the opti-kill is shut off. After that split second everything comes back on and the control surfaces move to their preset positions as well as the opti-kill comes back to life. The theory with this type of set up is that if there is a momentary glitch, one would want the engine to keep idling, but with the behaviour observed I am worried that the engine will be cut off.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Originally Posted by Tyro-I have the A9 and have a software wish. Is there any way of stopping the RX momentarily losing signal output in the case of a minor failsafe condition? The reason being i am flying large gas planes and i use a Smartfly ignition kill switch. When i test failsafe the channel momentarily loses the signal output from the RX , just long enough to cut the ignition. I want the ignition to stay on and the engine to go to idle , not cut out. There seems to be no way to do this with the Hitec failsafe condition.
"If you are check failsafe operation by cutting power to the reciever/smartfly and using a optic kill system..... it will shut down the engine.... no way around it and it is not a A9 issue as it is the way Smart Fly is designed.
If you are turning the TX off to check it, I don't have a clue other than doing what you probably are doing... ie. making sure your TX kill switch is in the ON position when setting failsafe."

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora9 Fail Safe

Thanks for the reply, it looks like I fall into the latter of the two scenarios. I am testing it by turning off the transmitter, not the receiver, the smartfly opti-kill is in the "on" position on the transmitter, and the failsafe was set up with the opti-kill in the "on" position.

Any other thoughts?