Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

interference w/ lynx FM on gas boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Donzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interference w/ lynx FM on gas boat

I'm brand new to R/C and built a boat from scratch w/ a MTD weedeater engine and a hitec lynx two channel radio. I used the supplied wire antenae, full length run up a plastic tube.

Most of the time it runs great but sometimes I get minor to very major interference where I'm barely able to get the boat back to the beach. Because of this I never run the boat further than about 100 yards. I was told with the fm radio I should be able to run that boat as far as I could see it, I'd like to have a much larger usable range. The engine has a resistor plug. If I don't fix it this boat is going to runaway sooner or later.

What is going on? Is there a better antenae? Is there some sheilding I should do somewhere? How do I tell the condition of the batteries in the receiver?

thanks, Matt
Old 07-24-2003, 05:24 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

So this only happens at 100yards +?

Mike.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Donzi

No, sometimes it's right by the boat. Yesterday it started going haywire and I managed to get enough control to have it idle in towards me, then 10 feet from me it took off towards me. It was all I could do to catch it.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:00 AM
golf_lake

“. I was told with the fm radio I should be able to run that boat as far as I could see it, I'd like to have a much larger usable range. The engine has a resistor plug. If I don't fix it this boat is going to runaway sooner or later .”

Please use a fail-safe it will prevent a run away and damage to your boat and people.

How do I tell the condition of the batteries in the receiver ?”

You will need a multimeter and a resistive load to test them.

In boats radio interference can be caused by many things,

1 is the plug new? the resistor plugs do go bad,
2 have you got the most possible distance from the motor to your receiver and batteries,
3 metal to metal contact from carbie into radio box,
4 worn motor bearings,
5 flex shaft to stuffing tube, strut,
6 is the radio new
7 have you done a range check
8 have you protected the radio gear from water
9 have you swapped crystals in the radio gear.