Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
Take nothing
60.00%
Take radio (DX3r) + servos to buy something at some point and at least
20.00%
Take my Savage
20.00%
Take my Truggy (D8T)
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Decision time.... help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision time.... help!!

Hi guys!
I have a decision to make and need some help, maybe you are seeing something I am not!
Let me put you into context, Im moving out of my parents house, currently living in Spain and moving to the Dominican Republic this Sunday! To make a very long story short I recently graduated from college, had a job offer to begin working there and due to major restructuring of the company need to wait 6-12 months until beginning work there, solution? screw them and look for work elsewhere, there, in the DR. As I said I a moving next Sunday and giving myself a period of 3 months to find a job, if all fails I would come back however I have some interviews lined up which will hopefully be succesful.
Now the big a most important question of all!! What do I do with my Rc cars?! hahaha... I currently have a Savage (great to bash with as you all know) and a Truggy (good to race and go to tracks with)...
To answer the first thing that comes to your mind, are there decent tracks there? YES, specifically a very decent (or so I have heard, havent actually seen it) 1/8 scale off road track where races take place.
My options are the following:

1/ Take nothing
2/ Take radio (DX3r) + servos to buy something at some point and at least have good electronics
3/ Take my Savage, would need option 2, the actual truck, the rotostart, my spare parts and I would have to buy a glow ignitor and charger for roto start battery
4/ Take my Truggy (D8T), would need option 2, truck, starter box + gel cell (big and bulky), spare parts and would have to buy battery chargers for gel cell, receiver batteries etc...

Just to give some extra info, as soon as I get a job (decent job) which I hope is soon I would be staying for a prolonged period of time, 2+ years. At first I would not have a car (getting to a place to play with my cars without an actual 1:1 car is difficult, taking taxis to the track? maybe at some point a friend that is into it but for now I dont know many people into rc there, I know a few but not a lot), once I get myself a job and am staying for over 3 months I will buy a car and then dilemma over of course.

As you can see Im torn! Dont know what to do and of course there is a chance that I come back in 3 months so bringing everything back if I were to take stuff would suck. One of my biggest problems is not having a car to get to places with, how am I going to get stuff to the track etc without my own personal transportation?

Those are the options for now plus of course maybe the more sensible one of taking my electronics, getting there, going to the track and seeing what people are running, maybe theres an electric class and just getting something new and going from there, which is probably what Im most inclining towards at the moment!

When voting please try to bear in mind all the variables and what each option entails regarding taking more or less equipment. Ive been trying to decide for days! Need some help! follow up your vote with a comment or recommendation!

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:49 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Decision time.... help!!

In all honesty I wouldn't worry too much about the cars. Get there and get yourself settled in with a job, transportation etc then if you want have one or more of the cars mailed to you when the time is right.

Personally i'd spend every minute that i'm unemployed looking for a job.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: john01374

In all honesty I wouldn't worry too much about the cars. Get there and get yourself settled in with a job, transportation etc then if you want have one or more of the cars mailed to you when the time is right.

Personally i'd spend every minute that i'm unemployed looking for a job.
agree make sure you got stable income 1st (cause how the hell will you fix anything or get fuel without any) then worry about the RC's
If you really need something to run to kil time you can pick up a lower cost battery powered Tamiya, and play around with that in the mean time (they are kinda fun for the cash)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Nesal

Yeah just to be clear dont worry Im plenty focused on the job search and have some decent stuff lined up, just wanted to have something to distract myself with and know im gonna miss my cars!!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Freezetron

Get your job situation settled one way or another, find a place to live and develop your budget. Then decide on your fun stuff.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there's a track there and you end up living near it, you'll want the trug. But yeah, as the others have said, getting sorted with a job, etc.. first is far more important.

One option could be to pack up your truggy and radio ready to ship, and leave it with somebody that could send it to you if you end up wanting it. You're not gonna want to schlepp a bunch of RC stuff around when moving to a new country..
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Nesal

Yeah at the moment I think my best bet is just leave numbered boxes and say Mom Dad ship box 3,4 and 6 when the time comes or something like that!