Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X4.6 pros and cons help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:24 PM
cswtornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X4.6 pros and cons help please!

Okay, I'm gonna get a Savage X4.6 at my LHS later this month and I was wondering about the rundown on this truck. All I have ever had for rc is a redcat 1/10 Tornado, so anything should be an improvement! Can someone list some pros and cons of the Savage and maybe a list of replacement parts you need a lot? Savage-specific prep work?
C'mon, guys, I wanna hear it all!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Savage X4.6 pros and cons help please!

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

Okay, I'm gonna get a Savage X4.6 at my LHS later this month and I was wondering about the rundown on this truck. All I have ever had for rc is a redcat 1/10 Tornado, so anything should be an improvement! Can someone list some pros and cons of the Savage and maybe a list of replacement parts you need a lot? Savage-specific prep work?
C'mon, guys, I wanna hear it all!
Pros: Its strong as hell, can drive over most obstacles in its path, the RTR has a good engine (as far as RTRs go), HPI has great customer service if something breaks prematurely

Cons: The stock steering servo is weak, the gastank's design causes issues on some people (mid tank lean, I've not had it personally)

As far as replacement parts just buy a hi torque metal geared servo with it, and you should be fine.

Option parts.
RPM skid plate some people like it some don't. I use it, and am on the like it side. Its not mandatory so upto you.
HPI's Stop button. Its about $6 and makes stopping the engine easy and where you won't damage it. The part adds a button you press that stops the flywheel itself.

other than that replace parts as you break em. Also stay away from integy. Only thing that they make that IMO isn't bad is the tank guard but that needs modding to make it fit with the stop button listed above.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The HPI engine stop button is great. After running 5 or 6 tanks through an engine it gets a little old tapping the hot stinger to shut off the engine :P

Just keep a couple steering blocks on hand and immediately upgrade to aluminum clutch shoes. Other than that, the Savage is a very solid truck.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM
wolfie1

when you get ur savage, the pins which hold the drive cups onto the gearbox and the diffs on the centre shaft, make sure they are all well loctited in
Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 AM
bxclip

i got the ofna 086 pipe and its a beast.. def get hump pack and a wheelie barr!   truck is amazin
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Not really any significant cons....its a good truck. 
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
cswtornado

I'm glad to hear that everyone likes it! About the high torque servo, what is considered "high torque?" I'm from 1/10 scales and I'm pretty new to RC (not a noob but still a little inexperienced considering this is my first car that comes with a brand!) And also, what voltage and MAH for the hump pack? Never ran one in a car before, so I don't really know what you need. I'm pretty cheap, so please don't reccomend a $80 pack! Thanks for all the responses guys! You're awesome!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 AM
rcslsafut

high torque = 200 + oz in
i personally like fast servos as well !
the only down fall to the savage imo , is it handles like a concrete truck
but what do you expect , it is a monster truck , the savage x is one tuff cookie !!!
dont know if the newer ones come w/a battery pack , but that would be one of my first
upgrades , aa batteries can get to be expensive !
Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
wolfie1

a 1600mah hump pack is perfectly good i can pick 1 up in the uk for about £10, i have also found out the hard way you want a 20kg servo at least for your steering this is 1 item thats worth spending a bit of £ on cause you will reap the benefits