Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Diff problems

Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 PM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff problems

Heya fellas,

My brother recently bought a used Savage X off craigslist and while its a good truck, i'm having some problems with the diffs. He was breaking ring and pinions, mostly in the rear, so he bought the heavy duty ring and pinion, we shimmed it, and put it at the back(didn't have the money for both at one time at 45.00 a pop). We also put brand new bevel gears (it has the 6 bevel gear diffs) in the both the front and rear diffs. The problem is that after installing the rear HD ring and pinion, the front diff keeps stripping/slipping. I asked the guy at the hobby shop if the stock ring and pinion has the same ratio as the HD, because of the difference if tooth size, and he said yes, it's the same you'll be fine. Like i said. we put brand new diff gears all the way around as well as the rear HD ring and pinion, and after less than 2 tanks of fuel, you could hear the front diff clicking. I picked up the front end, held onto FL tire and spun the FR and you could hear the gears in there grindin'. No problem at all to spin. So, i just don't get it. All i can think of is that the HD ring and pinions are a slightly different ratio and the weakest link is stripping. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 PM
steed2-inactive

Default RE: Diff problems

if you bought the bullet proof diff ring and pinion ...the gear ratio is different and will continue to destroy the front (weaker) diff, especially on high traction surfaces, you may also notice the truck is all over the place and hard to drive?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 AM
wolfie1

i have heard a lot of mention of "the craiglist" what is it?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:54 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craigslist.org is a site where you can post things for sale without a charge. They have regional sites for most major cities, including in the UK.