Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Flux 5T Conversion from scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
deviltrigger529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flux 5T Conversion from scratch?

Hey guys, I was wondering if it is possible to piece together a Savage Flux 5T by buying the conversion and then all the necessary pieces, or is it just way too many pieces to track down and would be better off trying to find a roller or something? I used to have a gasser 5th scale and loved the size but maintaining it and cleanup was a hassle and it was beginning to be a money pit(well, more than my electrics lol). I feel with the Flux 5t I get the best of both worlds; great BL power and 5th scale size, seeing as how I already have a ton of batteries.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 PM
thzero

Default RE: Flux 5T Conversion from scratch?

Buy a roller.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 PM
sharkattack99

If u already have a flux u can get the 5th scale kit from tcscrawlers.com
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
deviltrigger529

I wouldn't be asking to piece together or just buy a roller if I already had a flux. The only reason I want a flux is for the 5th scale conversion.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
gonggongboy

its probaly cheaper to buy the stuff from a parted out car off ebay
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
sharkattack99

Oh then what the other Guy said then
Old 10-23-2010, 10:57 PM
deviltrigger529

I thought it would be cheaper also but I dont know what exactly is needed from the stock Flux since all the TCS site says is required is Flux kit. Does anyone who has done the conversion or knows someone that can find out what was used for the conversion?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
mac3194
My Feedback: (2)

u r going to have 2 buy a lot of parts if u dnt buy a roller
Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
gonggongboy

You basically need everything except the TVP side plates. The good thing about it you can buy aftermarket parts while building it and not have to buy a roller and tear it down to install them.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM
deviltrigger529

Yeah I was also thinking that too but I'm not familiar with savages and keeping track of all those parts will be tough lol.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a nitro savage roller, or a used complete one off ebay sometimes there cheaper. I got one - radio for $130 shipped a few months back that I rebuilt into a flux. You can resell the nitro parts later. Or get a savage X RTR for $400 and resell the F4.6 for $125-$150 on ebay, and get the rebate before october 30th to make it around $200 (not counting towers coupon codes)
But the $7 flux idle gear
buy the flux battery compartments $30ish
buy the flux motor mount set $30ish
buy the 5T kit $150
but a ESC/motor I use a $200 HW 150A 2000kv combo and like it in my converted savage.
Buy flux dogbones(or the HD) the stock nitro savages will twist.(If getting the X this step might not be needed)

But in all honestly I did my nitro conversion like 4 weeks b4 HPI released the $500 flux or I would have probably just bought that to have the BP gears in it seeing I spent a similar amount on making mine.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
deviltrigger529

If only I was doing this all now there is a savage flux roller on ebay for $325 shipped which I dont think is too bad. Then I could just get a BL system of my choice when I could and get the conversion when I could.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
gonggongboy

maybe you should get a flux rtr and later on decide is you really want the 5t conversion
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
deviltrigger529

I already have my 1/10(more like 1/8th but still) MT slot filled with an E-Maxx, the only reason I want a flux is for the 5T conversion. Like I said, I used to have a gasser 1/5th and I would really like something of that size again but in electric, and the TCS conversion is the best I've seen.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM
thzero

SyCo is for the most part right on.

Here's pics and some comments on my build [link]http://picasaweb.google.com/thzerodotcom/SavageXLToSavageFlux5BConversion#[/link].

Avoid the battery boxes, there is no need for them. You can easily construct a battery compartment within the chassis. Its more than long enough.

Buy the HD components for the Flux gearbox.
Use the bulletproof diffs. I converted my nitro Savage X->XL truck to the 5T and ran the standard diffs for one session before they destroyed themselves. BP I haven't had issues with in the four or five big sessions I've had since.

Instead of the Flux axles, I use the XL axles. They are the same cup size (which is 15mm rather than 11mm I think) as the Flux but are extended. I also have tossed on the anti-roll bar kit to help with lateral stability (note this also has the benefit of capturing the upper hing pins without using the bumper mounts to do so... HPI really needs to make these hinge pin capture pieces standard on all Savages). Also am using a set of Integy (yeah, yeah, but not much else out there) rear hub carriers as this removes the slop in the rear end that is caused by the tie-rods; more noticeable in the 5th scale than in the nitro XL or 8th scale Flux that I've driven. There are a few more mods, etc. I put in mine. And a few more mods to come, including probably custom TVPs.

Tires... you can use TerraPins and it will give you about the same height as the Baja tires. You could use ProLines MT Trencher tires. Other 8th scale tires look rather small. You can also use the 24mm hubs from HPI and go with the Baja tires/wheels. Do NOT use the Proline 23mm hex adapters (or Integy either) with metal tape. They are poorly designed and will just shred (see my gallery for aftermath examples). Just use the HPI 24mm hubs. As a note for a 5T, as opposed to 5B conversion, the 5th scale truck tires are ~7.5" diameter, compared to the ~6.9" diameter of the buggy tires.

Personally I went with a CC MMM ESC with a Torq motor (same as the CC 2200kv but with different case) so it fits the stock Flux motor mounts. Otherwise you need to grind out the motor mounts to accept other engines. I'd probably say run a 1500-1600kv motor in it instead on 6S and gear up, however that would require some mods to the TVPs (on the stock flux TVPs too).
As far as the stock mount, you probably want to grind down the motor posts ever so slightly to allow for more clamping force on the engine.

Here's my current setup on 5S with a 2200kv motor on 6.9" ProLIne Badland Baja 5B tires. Weight for the truck fully loaded is right about 16.4lbs.

springs
front: yellow
rear: yellow

damper
front: 50wt
rear: 50wt

anti-roll bar:
front: silver
rear: silver

diffs:
front: 10k
rear: 7k

gearing:
spur: 47t (standard XL spur)
pinion: 19t

I'm not sold on the 50wt oil, may go down to 45 or 40, as its almost too stiff now.

As I said buy a roller; nitro XL is probably best, but an X could serve in a pinch. You get most of the parts you need, as the bulkheads, suspension, etc. add up rather quickly to greater than 130 or so you can often get a roller for.

TCSCrawlers have a lot of the Flux parts at the cheapest prices I've seen anywhere.

FYI Syco... if you'd bought a Flux when they were released you wouldn't have gotten the BP diffs. Those only came out several months later after the Flux blew up a bunch of nitro diffs.

I should mention that rc-monster, now CC, and *cough* Kershaw, all have BL conversions for the Baja 5B. Personally I went Savage because a) I had one, b) 4WD. You can run a Savage conversion on 5S/6S power, maybe even 4S power in a pinch, whereas reports are you need 8S-10S for the Baja 5B/5T conversions.

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

I already have my 1/10(more like 1/8th but still) MT slot filled with an E-Maxx, the only reason I want a flux is for the 5T conversion. Like I said, I used to have a gasser 1/5th and I would really like something of that size again but in electric, and the TCS conversion is the best I've seen.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 AM
thzero

That's way too high, especially if it doesn't come with the ESC/motor. You should be looking at 250 or below for a roller.

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

If only I was doing this all now there is a savage flux roller on ebay for $325 shipped which I dont think is too bad. Then I could just get a BL system of my choice when I could and get the conversion when I could.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thzero
FYI Syco... if you'd bought a Flux when they were released you wouldn't have gotten the BP diffs. Those only came out several months later after the Flux blew up a bunch of nitro diffs.

I meant the Savage flux 2350 not the original. I made mine out of a savage .21 like a month prior to the 2350 being released, which if I remember right had the BP diffs already.

But yea I know the original one didn't my LHS was just giving the BP diffs to ppl who bought flux's when HPI 1st came out with them.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
thzero

Ah, yes...

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I meant the Savage flux 2350 not the original. I made mine out of a savage .21 like a month prior to the 2350 being released, which if I remember right had the BP diffs already.

But yea I know the original one didn't my LHS was just giving the BP diffs to ppl who bought flux's when HPI 1st came out with them.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
deviltrigger529

Wow thats alot of great info there thzero, I will definitely be bookmarking this thread to use when I go to do this conversion. I've actually looked on ebay and on the RCU marketplace and there are very few savage anything rollers lol, so hopefully when I go to do this I will be able to find more. I also liked the 5T conversion over all the other because I'd be able to have 4WD, I mean I would still have that with the E-maxx 1/6th scale too, but I think the 5T conversion is just done better. Thanks for all the info guys, keep the suggestions coming.