Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
I vote for the BAJA 5T
40.74%
I vote for the Savage XL
44.44%
I vote for neither one!.. Please explain in post
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Savage XL Vs Baja 5T

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
SRT10Venomous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL Vs Baja 5T

Hey guys, As some of you know Ihave been doing a lot of research and putting together a build list to create a Savage XL fully tricked out.. But the more I look into these the more Isee the Baja 5T poping up and it looks bad as hell.. So if ya had the choice to build a Baja 5T or Savage XL what would it be???

My only fears with the Baja is the 2 wheel drive, do you think that is a major issues or a non issue??? Will be driving on some fairly rough terain...

Anyhow let me know your thoughts..

Thanks,

Oh and obviously both builds with be with a kick as race motor tuned pipe etc......

Anyhow Pros and cons??
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
thzero

Default RE: Savage XL Vs Baja 5T

2WD vs 4WD. Gas vs. Nitro vs. Electric. If you go Electric with the Baja you are looking at 8-12S in batteries and some big motors; which is almost too much for the 2WD from what I've seen.

You can drop a lot of useless coin on a Savage; there are only a few truly good upgrades, rest actually just degrade the truck. You can drop even more useless coin on a Baja. Lots of options to choose from in both cases.

As far as abuse, probably looking at about the same. 5B/T/SC is beefier, sure. But it also weights at least 10+ lbs heavier than a Savage.

Or you could do a 5B/5T conversion of a Savage. Get 4WD "5th scale" at nearly "8th scale" weight; best though with electric rather than nitro.

ORIGINAL: SRT10Venomous

Hey guys, As some of you know I have been doing a lot of research and putting together a build list to create a Savage XL fully tricked out.. But the more I look into these the more I see the Baja 5T poping up and it looks bad as hell.. So if ya had the choice to build a Baja 5T or Savage XL what would it be???

My only fears with the Baja is the 2 wheel drive, do you think that is a major issues or a non issue??? Will be driving on some fairly rough terain...

Anyhow let me know your thoughts..

Thanks,

Oh and obviously both builds with be with a kick as race motor tuned pipe etc......

Anyhow Pros and cons??
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM
savagecommander

the 5T can go just about anywhere. sure its 2WD but that isnt a huge issue as long as you control your finger. they'll cruise at 45 right out of the box- and less fuel cost(for now).... some people will tell you they break all the time and the parts are expensive, which they are, but in all the time iv had my 5B ive only bent shock shafts.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 AM
CR500rider

the baja 5t will drain your pocketbook a lot faster. Just a body for the baja 5t is 150 bucks.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
savagecommander

you can find them for cheaper. there's a few places on the bay that have them for around $80. they arent like the 1/8th scale bodies though, theyre heavier duty. i'd be surprised if you rash one in a short amount of time.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
wolfie1

thats a hard thing to compare 2 different machines for 2 different jobs, how about 1 of each secondhand? if ur intending to mod them why not start from secondhand platforms
Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I would like to have a B/T 5. Get a Methanol walbro carb and run it on a methanol / nitro blend.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM
SRT10Venomous

ORIGINAL: wolfie1

thats a hard thing to compare 2 different machines for 2 different jobs, how about 1 of each secondhand? if ur intending to mod them why not start from secondhand platforms

Iwas thinking about doing something like this.. been scouring ebay the past few days...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

get both

the lug
Old 12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
del1969

5T all the way. Once you buy one your nitro days will be over.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 PM
wolfie1

if ur wanting something 4x4 and petrol why not try something like this
http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV12401
it comes in many different guises such as the redcat rampge or himoto racing do 1 but i cant remember what they call it but it wont be so nimble and insane as the savage
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
SRT10Venomous

well ladies i pulled the trigger on a tricked out 1/5th scale ....   a sick HPI 5T previous owner has over 7K into it.. should be arriving soon,, ill post some pics for ya all in a new thread,
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Freezetron

Been there, done both. 5th scale is fun if your willing to spend the money. I wasn't so I sold my 5T and went back to Flux.