Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Electric (brushless) vs Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric (brushless) vs Nitro?

I will say I've bought more replacement parts for my electrics though cause they go faster, and when you hit something(or land a jump bad) parts snap WAY easier

NO no no you can not list to much power as a fault! go drive a toyota prius off a cliff sir lol...And now that i think of it...When esc's go out it gets ugly because they'll usually take the motor with it . But i love brushless power its amazing....I never have to tune it! I have 2 e revo's i love them! i think i'll get a savage flux next ...Or maybe a 4wd buggy.. One thing is for sure when you go to a park a nitro r/c will attract every 10 yr old boy for a mile. We've all had a taste of this annoying bratty 10 yr olds that never shut up...following you around lying about how they have a r/c buggy that does 120mph and runs..on atomic energy. plus all the support equipment you need for a nitro ...All i need is a wrench to adjust my motor mount and an extra set of packs. no loud insect noise or noxious nitro smoke
Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ohiowoodsrider250r

I will say I've bought more replacement parts for my electrics though cause they go faster, and when you hit something(or land a jump bad) parts snap WAY easier

NO no no you can not list to much power as a fault! go drive a toyota prius off a cliff sir lol...And now that i think of it...When esc's go out it gets ugly because they'll usually take the motor with it . But i love brushless power its amazing....I never have to tune it! I have 2 e revo's i love them! i think i'll get a savage flux next ...Or maybe a 4wd buggy.. One thing is for sure when you go to a park a nitro r/c will attract every 10 yr old boy for a mile. We've all had a taste of this annoying bratty 10 yr olds that never shut up...following you around lying about how they have a r/c buggy that does 120mph and runs..on atomic energy. plus all the support equipment you need for a nitro ...All i need is a wrench to adjust my motor mount and an extra set of packs. no loud insect noise or noxious nitro smoke
yes I can actually.
Hell on my one truggy I never even cracked it up, and the C-hubs split in half on both sides, in identical spots. I used it for speed runs on a paved street, no jumps nothing. Something that people who left the model nitro have not seen.
Lets face it go smash your car into a brick wall going 5mph, then get another and smash it into a brick wall going 15mph and see the difference in damage. Driving off a cliff is not a good analogy seeing that is just gravity doing the work for you.
My savage which is BL also has snapped 2 dogbones within seconds of each other (other 2 were twisted pretty far), and have trashed the cups on the diffs(gotta replace em still) just from the sheer power the BL motor puts out. My nitro savage has had at least 10X more run time and is still running the same parts for over a year.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odd, but I don't mind the 10 year olds at all. It's nice they show an interest. Tons of less productive things they could be doing.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Argess

Odd, but I don't mind the 10 year olds at all. It's nice they show an interest. Tons of less productive things they could be doing.
Ditto for the most part till they start decideing to try and jump in front of the RC to play chicken...
Then I usually fake running out of nitro and call it a day.

Will say pulling the fake out with BL is simpler you just tap the accelerator till the motor cogs and be like OOPS its outta power and will take a few hours to recharge
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM
rc awesome

Haha about the 10yr olds never get them when i run my elos. To the OP, it really depends one what you want. If you just want to plug in a battery and go elo is for you. If you want to do some more matience and like tinkering with things then nitro is for you. Most of the matience is easy after run which takes about 5 min. Brushless is faster but you will have to shell out some cash to get some good lipos and a fast charger. I like nitro more because its more relistic, and well its just cool to see a tiny motor that is blowing out tons  of smoke and pushing a rc up to 50 mph is pretty cool.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Haha about the 10yr olds never get them when i run my elos. To the OP, it really depends one what you want. If you just want to plug in a battery and go elo is for you. If you want to do some more matience and like tinkering with things then nitro is for you. Most of the matience is easy after run which takes about 5 min. Brushless is faster but you will have to shell out some cash to get some good lipos and a fast charger. I like nitro more because its more relistic, and well its just cool to see a tiny motor that is blowing out tons of smoke and pushing a rc up to 50 mph is pretty cool.
i think we should all run turbine powered savages

nice and quiet!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
savagecommander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fket_9staek
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
CR500rider

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fket_9staek
That was almost 3 yrs ago, brushless has come a long way since then. Pop a 6s pack in that buggy and it would have been a different story.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
rc awesome

I really don't see why people make a big deal about top speed. How many times are you going to have to do 100mph while bashing or racing, which is what most people do. The fastest that you need your rc to do is like 60mph. More than that is just overkill
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I run lipo/brushless and nitro. I have a blast with both of them. Depends on where im running and what im doing. Nitro's have plenty of Pro's for us gearhead people. For the computer freaks that couldnt tune an engine if their life depended on it, they'll never understand.

Anybody who defends one side to the end probably hasnt tried the other honestly.

Eric
Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I really don't see why people make a big deal about top speed. How many times are you going to have to do 100mph while bashing or racing, which is what most people do. The fastest that you need your rc to do is like 60mph. More than that is just overkill
t each there own
I find over 40 is usually overkill most Rc's I own at that point can no longer turn
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Freezetron

Tuning sucks, I hate it. I wanna tweak it with computer and farking go!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Freezetron
I wanna tweak it with computer and farking go!
I can do the same thing out in the field with a screwdriver on a nitro.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Simply proof that you have never owned anything but a box-stock power system

There is tuning involved with electrics, and a lot of manual labor. Just as much as getting an aftermarket setup performing properly in any electric as there is with nitro.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Simply proof that you have never owned anything but a box-stock power system

There is tuning involved with electrics, and a lot of manual labor. Just as much as getting an aftermarket setup performing properly in any electric.
shhh don't burst peoples bubbles
Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 AM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

t each there own
I find over 40 is usually overkill most Rc's I own at that point can no longer turn
Well I was jusst saying that because I didn't want to upset the people who run on the streets
Old 12-25-2010, 06:57 PM
buttdud1122

i would say nitro, and i own both, an electric and three nitros... i like nitro's cause they are cheaper, and i just like the mini engine and tinkering part... i like electrics cause they are quick to run, but i dont like how finicky lipo's can be, and for brushless to be faster, you have to spend quite a bit more than nitro's to reach the same speed.  dont get me wrong, brushless is quite a bit faster!

imo, nitro is the way to go.  i started on nitro, and without any help, i didnt have very many troubles.  only things causing me problems were laziness  but i guess thats what i get from taking apart and fixing up old small engines when i was young!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: buttdud1122
i like electrics cause they are quick to run, but i dont like how finicky lipo's can be, and for brushless to be faster, you have to spend quite a bit more than nitro's to reach the same speed. dont get me wrong, brushless is quite a bit faster!
buttdud, for the most part, ThunderbirdJunkie agrees with most of what you said...however...he'd like to do a breakdown of two similarly-powered, similarly-built cars on the price point you mentioned.

In 2004, ThunderbirdJunkie built his XXX-NT AD2.

Truck kit: $300
Servos: $120
Receiver: $50
OS .12TR: $130
ProLine Step Pins, AD2 wheels, and Edge fronts: $50ish
Shock oil and springs: 'bout 20 bucks
Receiver pack: $25

In 2010, ThunderbirdJunkie built his SC10. Basic kit, was before the FT came out.

Truck kit: $180
CVD kit: $30
Castle Sidewinder 4600: $120
lipo charger: $70
2 lipo batteries: $60
PL tires: $45ish

Both trucks are pretty equal, for the most part. The AD2 is obviously way tougher, because A: It's a Losi and not an Associated, and B: it's a top-spec full blown racetruck instead of just an unassembled RTR, but still.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 PM
buttdud1122

ORIGINAL: buttdud1122
i like electrics cause they are quick to run, but i dont like how finicky lipo's can be, and for brushless to be faster, you have to spend quite a bit more than nitro's to reach the same speed. dont get me wrong, brushless is quite a bit faster!
buttdud, for the most part, ThunderbirdJunkie agrees with most of what you said...however...he'd like to do a breakdown of two similarly-powered, similarly-built cars on the price point you mentioned.

In 2004, ThunderbirdJunkie built his XXX-NT AD2.

Truck kit: $300
Servos: $120
OS .12TR: $130
ProLine Step Pins, AD2 wheels, and Edge fronts: $50ish
Shock oil and springs: 'bout 20 bucks
Receiver pack: $25

In 2010, ThunderbirdJunkie built his SC10. Basic kit, was before the FT came out.

Truck kit: $180
CVD kit: $30
Castle Sidewinder 4600: $120
lipo charger: $70
2 lipo batteries: $60
PL tires: $45ish

Both trucks are pretty equal, for the most part. The AD2 is obviously way tougher, because A: It's a Losi and not an Associated, and B: it's a top-spec full blown racetruck instead of just an unassembled RTR, but still.
i agree with that, electric is cheaper if you run base line stuff, but its way easier to put a ton into electric than nitro. i have an sc10, i scrapped the stock electrics, put in a velineon system (awesome system! best thingtraxxasmakes!lol), got rid of my nimh batteries (both were duds... stay away from the duratrax dtx series), and got turnigy lipos.thekit was a little less than200 (i got it whenae started with the bl series and tower did ahuge saleon them), the velineon was 150, the twonimh batteries were 45 each,because iwas a nitro only guy when i got this andhad no idea what to get, and the two turnigy batteries were 20 each.on my xt2, a new radio. lol. both i run about the same, but i feel like the xt2 just has more overall power, even if it doesnt have the top end like the sc10 with a higher gearing. the kit costed 250, the radio was 100. i guess it just matters what you do with your stuff. i can appreciate both nitro and electric for their own unique features, but nitro is deffinately my favorite.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh yeah. Nothing will ever replace nitro.

The only reason ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't run much nitro this year is because he's been doing a lot of short course racing. We'll see what happens when his XXX-NT short course truck is finished, though[&:]
Old 12-25-2010, 08:06 PM
buttdud1122

arent engine temps a big issue for a 2wd nitro sc truck? if you are using the same tires?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

There's no such thing as a 2wd nitro short course truck :P That's why ThunderbirdJunkie is converting one

an OS 18 CV-R shouldn't have any issue pulling a 5.5lb truck around the track and passing all the 10.5s [&:]
Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

What no OS TZ .18? (just kidding)

I had one in a HPI MT2 and it absolutly destroyed differentials, and the main spur gear shaft.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Marco810

I enjoy both, brushless for the insane power to weight capability and swoooshhh sound nitro for the tinkering, no charging (aside from radio gear) and screammm sound

and about the 10y boys, dont get so down, you could get lucky and have a couple hot girls approach you, its happened to me before
Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 AM
buttdud1122

There's no such thing as a 2wd nitro short course truck :P That's why ThunderbirdJunkie is converting one

an OS 18 CV-R shouldn't have any issue pulling a 5.5lb truck around the track and passing all the 10.5s [&:]
have you heard of the sc8? :P and yes i know that! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.