Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

new life to my savage 25

i have a older savage 25 and was thinking about upgrading it with a new engine either the hpi 4.6 or the hpi 5.9 wandering what is the better engine to get and what pipe and also thinking a 3 speed transmission and what the best gearing would be i like wheelies but i still want some good speed out of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: new life to my savage 25

Of those two, definitely the 4.6. It is a way better engine and stronger too. 17/47 with with a 4.6 and 3 speed is great combo. it will be a wheelie monster (way better thanthe 25 ever was) and way faster on topend.
    03 Savage 21 - Mach 427 06 Savage 25 - Clocked Picco, 09 Savage X -Mach 28, 10 Savage XL -parted, 10 Savage X SS- LRP ZR30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

F4.6 StrongestFastestNOT theK4.6 Weaker Motor

A man\'\'s got to do something for a living these days........Dyin\'\' ain\'\'t much of a living, boy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

definately get the f over the k or the 5.9, they are both much weaker engines, but in all honesty, for the money just grab an lrp 30 and a dynamite 086 pipe- just my opinion
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ever think of the LRP Z28r spec 3? Only 170.00 bucks, direct drop in. SavagedXXL recommended one for my bros Savage bout a week ago. It used to have the f4.1 on it. We just broke it in yesterday, and that thing is freakin rediculous. After the 6th tank of fuel we opened it up a little (still on very rich break in settings) and that thing hauls #$$. Hes running a 3 speed with 20/51 gearing, but were gona need to switch it to 20/47 or maybe even lower on the spur, just wont keep the wheels on the ground and has PLENTY of power for more speed. Turned his truck into a whole new machine-my tmaxx used to walk all over it, now i swear i can see my poor little maxx sittin on the bench next to the Savage shaking.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the info i will defenitly look at those engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The LRPs are just SH 6 porters.

http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/engines-for-cars/sh-28-pro-exhaust-engine-pt2803ac-p6
    Tornado buggy, HPI Savage X 4.6 FOR THE WIN.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok i've looked at the different engines you guys told me the f 4.6 seems to be harder to get then the k 4.6 can someone explain the difference in the two. And witch is the better engine the hpi engines or the lrp .28 spec 3 or the lrp .30 spec 2 or the lrp .30x competition all within $30.00 dollars in price and what is the difference in spec 2 and 3 and i cam also get the losi mach 454 for around $200 which is the best powerhouse for the savage?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EBAY!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Racing-Nitro...item3cb681522e

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Nitrostar-F4...item53e679e528

This auction is for a Brand new in the Factory sealed box HPI Racing Nitro 4.6 Big Block Engine. This is a upgrade engine for the Savage X 4.6 RTR kit. Below are the specs for this engine Thanks for looking and Happy Bidding.

Type:2-stroke
    Displacement:4.6cc
    Bore:18.68mm
    Stroke:16.6mm
    Cylinders:1
    Horsepower: 2.9
    A man\'\'s got to do something for a living these days........Dyin\'\' ain\'\'t much of a living, boy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jamie jato

ok i've looked at the different engines you guys told me the f 4.6 seems to be harder to get then the k 4.6 can someone explain the difference in the two. And witch is the better engine the hpi engines or the lrp .28 spec 3 or the lrp .30 spec 2 or the lrp .30x competition all within $30.00 dollars in price and what is the difference in spec 2 and 3 and i cam also get the losi mach 454 for around $200 which is the best powerhouse for the savage?
    I agree RazurBlackz, ebay is the way to go on engines. You can buy Mach 454's for around $120 - $130. Of all of the engines listed, the LRP Z.28R spec 3 is the strongest. SH makes all of those engines, and the Dynamite Mach .28, SH.28, and Losi Mach 454 are all said to be the same engine as the Z28R, but that's not so. I've had all of them but but SH .28, and the Z28R spec 3 is absolutely stronger. The Z28R Spec 2 I had years ago was about on par with rest. The Spec 3 has more aggressive porting and a better carb, and I actually like it more than I do my ZR30. The ZR30 has a little more bottom end (both are beasts down low) but the spec3 pulls harder up top and revs higher. No matter how I gear it, or whatever else, the spec 3 had more top end speed. All the SH engines I've had been great engines, but the Z28R Spec3is best of all of them,. IMO - although I really like the Mach 427's too.

If $200 is in your budget, the Picco .28 P3 is stronger than all of the engines listed above, although the spec 3 is pretty close from I've read. I have not ever owned a Picco, so I can't make my own comparisons, but knowledgable people say they are dyno tests do too, so I believe it to be true. I have a modded Picco on way, so I will still have no comparison for a stock Picco vs the spec 3.
    03 Savage 21 - Mach 427 06 Savage 25 - Clocked Picco, 09 Savage X -Mach 28, 10 Savage XL -parted, 10 Savage X SS- LRP ZR30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok i bought the f 4.6 and 3 speed that arrived today, still waiting on the tuned pipe and clutch i ordered but i'm wandering what i should run for gearing with this setup, i want it 2 wheelie on demand but i still want some good top end out of it what do u guys recommend? and one more thing will the radio box set fit out of a savage 4.6 into my 25. i like the way the 4.6 cover goes on better than the 25 setup no clips to shag with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok i bought the f 4.6 and 3 speed that arrived today, still waiting on the tuned pipe and clutch i ordered but i'm wandering what i should run for gearing with this setup, i want it 2 wheelie on demand but i still want some good top end out of it what do u guys recommend? and one more thing will the radio box set fit out of a savage 4.6 into my 25. i like the way the 4.6 cover goes on better than the 25 setup no clips to shag with. O and by the way i have a 15t,and 18t clutch bell and a 52t and 58t spur gear at the moment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok i bought the f 4.6 and 3 speed that arrived today, still waiting on the tuned pipe and clutch i ordered but i'm wandering what i should run for gearing with this setup, i want it 2 wheelie on demand but i still want some good top end out of it what do u guys recommend? and one more thing will the radio box set fit out of a savage 4.6 into my 25. i like the way the 4.6 cover goes on better than the 25 setup no clips to shag with.
    Yes, the X radio box will fit the 25. The stock X comes with 17/47 and its a good combo. What tires areyou running? Any reason you chose the f4.6 over the LRP's?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man you guys are making me want to go out and get that LRP and a 3 speed trans for my new savage.

Got Nitro ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how would the savage run with that LRP motor and a two speed trans anyways?
    Got Nitro ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i bought the 4.6 because i got a good deal on it less than $100 so i grabbed that one figured it would still be alot better than the 25 with the 3 speed and pipe combo so i was just wandering what the best gearing setup would be i think i will try the 18t and 52t first see how that works for me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i bought the 4.6 because i got a good deal on it less than $100 so i grabbed that one figured it would still be alot better than the 25 with the 3 speed and pipe combo so i was just wandering what the best gearing setup would be i think i will try the 18t and 52t first see how that works for me
    Oh Ok. That is a good price. You can't run a 18/52 without a lot of mods to the TVP/engine case. Even 17/52 requires a little persuading to fit.

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

Ever think of the LRP Z28r spec 3? Only 170.00 bucks, direct drop in. SavagedXXL recommended one for my bros Savage bout a week ago. It used to have the f4.1 on it. We just broke it in yesterday, and that thing is freakin rediculous. After the 6th tank of fuel we opened it up a little (still on very rich break in settings) and that thing hauls #$$. Hes running a 3 speed with 20/51 gearing, but were gona need to switch it to 20/47 or maybe even lower on the spur, just wont keep the wheels on the ground and has PLENTY of power for more speed. Turned his truck into a whole new machine-my tmaxx used to walk all over it, now i swear i can see my poor little maxx sittin on the bench next to the Savage shaking.
    I'm glad it worked out for you guys- I knew you'd love it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: russ81072

how would the savage run with that LRP motor and a two speed trans anyways?
    That's what I ran my Z28R with until the very end. It works great with the 2 speed. The Z28R has way more bottom endand WAYYY more topend than your 4.6, so even with the 2 speed, it will do everything a lot better thanyour 4.6 does now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ya thanks for the help i will have to order those gears i dont have a hobby shop anywhere close to my area so it really helps when i already no what works.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I can just put in my 2 cents worth. When it comes to the debate between two speed and three speed, my vote goes for the 2 speed all the time. Why? The shift points for the three speed is a real pain in the ***** to adjust, the gears seem more fragile than the 2 speed and break more often under the load of stronger engines, they are more expensive to replace/repair and eventually the wow factor of hearing your truck shift twice wears off. Also with high revving engines, the first shift often happens as soon as you throttle up so you dont even get to hear it. And finally 10%more bottom 10% more top is not much in exchange for all the hassle of the 3 speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

If I can just put in my 2 cents worth. When it comes to the debate between two speed and three speed, my vote goes for the 2 speed all the time. Why? The shift points for the three speed is a real pain in the ***** to adjust, the gears seem more fragile than the 2 speed and break more often under the load of stronger engines, they are more expensive to replace/repair and eventually the wow factor of hearing your truck shift twice wears off. Also with high revving engines, the first shift often happens as soon as you throttle up so you dont even get to hear it. And finally 10%more bottom 10% more top is not much in exchange for all the hassle of the 3 speed.
    The later XL and the "high speed" 3 speed has a 15% 3rd gear. If the gears are set correctly, they really work well. I had to adjust 1st gear pretty drastically when I put on trhe Clocked Picco, because it was shifting so quickly, but it shifts great now. I love the 3 speed for high speed passes, drag racing, andjust showing outbecause it offers the best of both worlds, but I do prefer the 2 speeds for round track racing and hard bashing. Theonly 3 speed I ever brokewas due to ahigh (stupid high) jump.

However, with that said, I do doubt it will hold up to my Picco. I've had good luck with the 3 speeds using them with Mach 427/454, LRP Z28R/ZX30, so they have been pretty durable for most of the engines I've had before, but everyone says this Picco witll destroy it. It may end up that I have to put a 2 speed in it out of necessity, but I would prefer to to have the 3 speed.

You're right though, the 2 speed is probably the better transmission, and they work great behind all engines. I wish they would revise the 3 speed to a HD version with beefier, machined steel gears.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am running an lrp 30, with a dynamite 086, i just this weekend installed the bigbore shocks so i could run the proper 086 header and am on the 4th tank of break in. I am running a 3 speed with the high speed third gear and have been running it for almost 2 years. I have had nothing but awesome luck with the 3 speed, i am constantly reading about people having problems getting them set-up properly, but what i have found is the 1st gear need to be tightened up quite a bit, and then once thats set up properly i just forcused on the 2-3 shift and havent looked back since. i also shimmed it to tighten everthing up and it works beautifully. now this lrp 30 ...well to say the least.....i am so happy with it so far, its breaking in beautifully and i cant believe the power. this thing is going to be crazy, i am taking it easy on it but still it wants to throw the front end skyward on command, the bottom end is unreal. I remember thinking how happy i was with my f4.6 (still a great engine), and wondering "really how much better can the lrp 30 or 28 be?" well let me tell you.....the response is amazing!!! now i can only imagine what a picco done by clockworks is like??? I am running the x chassis. I like the x much better than the xl! Also i read in a recent post where the guy had been running some really powerful engines and was finding the 3 speed (shimmed) was standing up better than the 2 speed.-scott
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: steed2

I am running an lrp 30, with a dynamite 086, i just this weekend installed the bigbore shocks so i could run the proper 086 header and am on the 4th tank of break in. I am running a 3 speed with the high speed third gear and have been running it for almost 2 years. I have had nothing but awesome luck with the 3 speed, i am constantly reading about people having problems getting them set-up properly, but what i have found is the 1st gear need to be tightened up quite a bit, and then once thats set up properly i just forcused on the 2-3 shift and havent looked back since. i also shimmed it to tighten everthing up and it works beautifully. now this lrp 30 ...well to say the least.....i am so happy with it so far, its breaking in beautifully and i cant believe the power. this thing is going to be crazy, i am taking it easy on it but still it wants to throw the front end skyward on command, the bottom end is unreal. I remember thinking how happy i was with my f4.6 (still a great engine), and wondering "really how much better can the lrp 30 or 28 be?" well let me tell you.....the response is amazing!!! now i can only imagine what a picco done by clockworks is like??? I am running the x chassis. I like the x much better than the xl! Also i read in a recent post where the guy had been running some really powerful engines and was finding the 3 speed (shimmed) was standing up better than the 2 speed.-scott
    The LRPZR30 is a beast down low, but I'd say the Clocked Picco is at least as much of a jump in power as the ZR30 is to the F4.6. I'm saying that with the break in shim still in the engine. Several of my friend's have Flux's, and I driven them a lot. This Clocked Picco is the closest thingto that level of power I've ever seen from any nitro engine. It is truly beastly and impossible to give full throttle until 2nd is nearly wound out. I can ease it through 1st and when it shifts into 2nd, I can nail it, and it puts it on its lid. I have almost got it to to do a standing backflip with a 17/47 bell/spur. It won't quite go all the way over, but I'm going to keep trying!-lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been running stock picco's since the 27 came out and they are by far the best engine out there, once your tuning skills are up to the task that is. They are not for the "weekend basher" who just wants to go out and have a couple hours of fun now and then.

I would never consider a modded picco for bashing in a savage just because at times its already insane enough as is and I wouldn't want more. That being said my 28 blew two 3 speeds but the 2 speeds just keep on going. This is just from my exp so dont take my word as being the final one.

I do think that most are biting off more than they can chew with modded piccos though, one again, just my 2 cents worth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

I've been running stock picco's since the 27 came out and they are by far the best engine out there, once your tuning skills are up to the task that is. They are not for the "weekend basher" who just wants to go out and have a couple hours of fun now and then.

I would never consider a modded picco for bashing in a savage just because at times its already insane enough as is and I wouldn't want more. That being said my 28 blew two 3 speeds but the 2 speeds just keep on going. This is just from my exp so dont take my word as being the final one.

I do think that most are biting off more than they can chew with modded piccos though, one again, just my 2 cents worth.
    Its definitely a monster. I have been running and tuning all sorts of different engines for a long time, and I wanted to go the next level. My buddies buying Flux's had a lot to do with that too. I have 5 Savages (4 running) and this one with Clocked Picco is what it is. I expect to break lots of stuff, and I'm fine with that. I have tons of spare parts, and whatever breaks, I'll upgrade it if possible. If I break it, I'll pull another out the back of my Blazer and continue to have fun. You're right though, it would probably be bad idea to put a modded engine of any kind on your truck if you only have one. I love working on these trucks, but a lot of people don't, and they probably wouldn't want one either. It is definitely too much engine for the Savage X chassis, but that's part of the fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast