Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Flux front A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 PM
flo7002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flux front A-arms

What's up with the Flux's stock front A-arms being so weak. Got a new flux just a few days ago and both front one broke already. Granted, the right one I hit a piece of concrete, although it was at very low speed, but something had to give. But the left one just broke from jumping over a mound of dirt, and it wasn't more than like 3 feet in the air. They snap right off that shaft that holds them. Are they supposed to snap off and I put them back in or something?? I'm just confused... everything I read said this truck was pretty tough.

Or are there any other a-arms I should use? I read that the RPM ones don't fit very well without some modding.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flux front A-arms

Get the RPM ones, they will fit tight, but RPM says you just have to run them tight for a while to let them loosen up. Even if they are tight, they are 8x (at least 8x, I did all the calculations in my head) stronger than the stock arms.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM
mdh1979

What's up with flux arms breaking? Is bad drivers or bad arms? I've had my X SS since 07 and have never broken an upper or lower arm. Are the flux arms a different style? I have a Flux HP arriving on Tuesday and this post has me wondering.

Matt
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Brainanator

They are the same arms and support system, I guess you just "go bigger" with electric or land worse....
Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
sturb25

What do you refer to as a-arms?

Are they the upper or lower arm or hub or hub carrier?

ORIGINAL: flo7002

What's up with the Flux's stock front A-arms being so weak. Got a new flux just a few days ago and both front one broke already. Granted, the right one I hit a piece of concrete, although it was at very low speed, but something had to give. But the left one just broke from jumping over a mound of dirt, and it wasn't more than like 3 feet in the air. They snap right off that shaft that holds them. Are they supposed to snap off and I put them back in or something?? I'm just confused... everything I read said this truck was pretty tough.

Or are there any other a-arms I should use? I read that the RPM ones don't fit very well without some modding.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM
flo7002

I'm talking about the lower front arms (#85238). Like I said, one broke due to my bad driving, but the other broke from a little jump. Maybe it was just an akward landing. I'm not trying to complain, I love the truck, but from my short experiece with it, parts have broke easier than I expected, that's all...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Flux HP with the TCS crawler XL extension, HPI Suspension Upgrade conversion, and RPM A Arms etc. I can say I beat the living crap out of my FLux and I never once broke a stock A Arm and I ramp HUGE. I basically upgraded because I already did everything else and just wanted the RPM arms "Just in case".

There were some people saying the RPM A Arms did not fit well, so I bought a set to see for everyone and put them right on, they fit great and DO NOT need any modicications.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 AM
JUCD VPR

I'm talking about the lower front arms (#85238). Like I said, one broke due to my bad driving, but the other broke from a little jump. Maybe it was just an akward landing. I'm not trying to complain, I love the truck, but from my short experiece with it, parts have broke easier than I expected, that's all...
Just wait the A arms usually aren;t a problem. You will need to replace your main drive gear in your transmission, and the C hubs or reffered also as the Uprights break easy, Integy makes some good ones but if you have the money i'd suggest the HPI Suspension conversion, It;s awesome!

Also TCS (The crawler Store) has the best price for the RPM A Arms, and they also have the Main drive gear if you have not gotten that yet. I basically buy everything for my Flux from then, great prices and FAST shipping!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
flo7002

I did break an upright as well, from doing a backflip... but I just got a set of 4 off ebay for $10, so I have some spares for now. Eventually I'll upgrade, but for now a few dollars here and there doesn't hurt as much. As for the suspension conversion set, are you talking about something like this?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180461219959

As for the main drive gear, do you mind linking that on TCS cause I'm not sure which one I need to get. I placed an order with them yesterday for a couple little things, and I was gonna see if they can throw that in the same package. Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 AM
JUCD VPR

I did break an upright as well, from doing a backflip... but I just got a set of 4 off ebay for $10, so I have some spares for now. Eventually I'll upgrade, but for now a few dollars here and there doesn't hurt as much. As for the suspension conversion set, are you talking about something like this?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180461219959

As for the main drive gear, do you mind linking that on TCS cause I'm not sure which one I need to get. I placed an order with them yesterday for a couple little things, and I was gonna see if they can throw that in the same package. Thanks
Yah that is the conversion set, it's only $130 from TCS crawlers.

Here is the link to the main drive gear you will need, Once you pop open the tranny case it's super easy to install.

http://www.tcscrawler.com/

HPI HD DRIVE GEAR 18-23 TOOTH (1M) #102514 (just search FLUX HD DRIVE GEAR)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM
maxx2200

The only way I've broken a stock a-arm is by hitting an object that does not give(concrete) or by landing at a bad angle.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
RazurBlackz

Stop hitting curbs...etc

EBAY!!!!..........Stock up

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-85238-SUSPEN...item3f01982bc5

RB
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
savycharlie

I broke my front left a-arm when i hit this random wood post in my neighbors yard. What do you guys think of these A-arms?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RPM82012-RPM-820...#ht_4545wt_905
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
chonyc77

The first thing to go on my Flux where the front arms which i cracked on my second time out. The part that cracked was the reinforcements done to them in the middle part. I kept using them with no problems. This broke from just doing some pretty nasty cart wheels. Never a crash. They finally snapped rite off during a 4 foot jump, and when i landed i hit a section of the dirt that had a cement part that stopped it violently.

Anywaw, I ordered the RPM and they it rite on. There was no modding needed and they moved freely and had no problems at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 AM
thzero

Ugh, don't get that 'suspension upgrade'. At very least switch to the Savage X SS upper arm set (http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Adjus...6-p-17518.html) as they are bit beefier than the plastic Flux upper arm. And try some read hub carries which eliminate slop in the rear (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWSY0&P=7 or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZN1&P=7)... about the only Integy parts worth the money.

On the other hand, definetly get the HPID HD Drive Gear, absolutely.

Bottom line, if parts break its cheap to replace the HPI (or even RPM) parts. And parts *will* break, period.

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR
Yah that is the conversion set, it's only $130 from TCS crawlers.

Here is the link to the main drive gear you will need, Once you pop open the tranny case it's super easy to install.

http://www.tcscrawler.com/

HPI HD DRIVE GEAR 18-23 TOOTH (1M) #102514 (just search FLUX HD DRIVE GEAR)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM
flo7002

Thanks guys for all the tips. I just grabbed a couple sets of the stock arms for now. Should last me a bit if I don't run into things. And also grabbed the HD Drive Gear. Don't have much money for any other upgrades right now, so I'll just stick with stock parts.