Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

2 questions for the flux pros.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
chonyc77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions for the flux pros.

Hey guys.

I have bumped into some troubles with my Savage flux and since you guys resolved all my issues up to date, i figured let me just ask in here and save myself some time and a head ache.

Question 1.... Is there a way my motor could have slid forward? Im having a problem with the gear that sits on the stem which comes out of the motor. My problem is that the stem has a flat part on it for me to lock the little tiny nut on to it so that the gear doesnt slip on stem. The only problem is that when i mech that gear on motor with the bigger one, I cant seem to tighten that little screw onto the flat part. At this point if i have the gears meshed, the little screw will just tighten on the round part of the stem and wont hold up for long before it starts spinning.

Question 2... I hated the strength of the steering servo so i went ahead and ordered the Hi-tec HS-7950 TH. That servo is amazing and my wheels now turn like a touring car. The only problem is that since ive installed this servo, when i turn left and rite the car gives a little throttle or reverse. It looks like its glitching really bad. What could be causing this and to those who have experienced something similar, how did u resolve it?

Thanks in advance for all help guys..
Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Mclovin350z

Default RE: 2 questions for the flux pros.

You need a new pinion gear. When you get it make sure it's meshed properly and locktited tight!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

You need a new pinion gear. When you get it make sure it's meshed properly and locktited tight!
ya I had to put so much lock tite on it. I now need a hammer to knock my pinion loose
before that it was slipping non-stop.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Mclovin350z

It must be something to do with the flux having a metal spur, it's never happened on my maxx.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
chonyc77

Thanks guys but i don't think you answered either of my questions. 

Theres nothing wrong with spur gear. Theres a little screw that goes into motor stem that holds spur gear to stem. The stem has a flat piece on it but the screw on spur wont line up with it. 

The other problem is glitching really bad with new servo i ordered. How could i fix this. I thought 2.4 doesnt glitch...

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 PM
mdh1979

You need to mark the position that the pinion gear needs to be in with a marker and then take out the motor and line up the pinion with your marks and put some locktite on the pinion screw and crank her down tight. Make sure that when you put the motor back to set the gear mesh with a piece of paper.

Have you tried using the d/r setting on your transmitter so that the servo is not trying to force the steering beyond it's physical stops? It might be pulling a lot of current at the stops and causing your esc to "glitch". Tell us what you find.

Matt
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

The motor DOES slide forward on the flux. Many people put zipties around the can between the fins and the clamp to keep it from sliding forward! You probably don't need a new pinion...yet. My stock pinion wore out after about a month anyway, got a hardened robinson racing one and works great (RCMonster makes good ones too). Slide the motor backwards and ziptie it!.
Ziptie mod is in this video somewhere.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spC4i...41D20E&index=3 about 4:50 is the motor part (like some of the ideas, others are just kinda silly...)

never heard of your other problem....weird. Using the stock radio? does it only go forward or backward or both? Maybe try re-binding and re-calibrating the radio system.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 AM
Mclovin350z

Is it an am radio or 2.4ghz?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Ziptie mod is in this video somewhere.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spC4i...41D20E&index=3 about 4:50 is the motor part (like some of the ideas, others are just kinda silly...)
you ain't kidding about silly using nails instead of screws?

will agree on the integy rear uprights in the vid my one savage kept popping those (other ones fine oddly)

and as for slobbering the shaft with red locktite I did that with blue to stop it from flying off

The zipties is a good idea never knew it had that issue(I don't use a CC motor in mine, and never had the flux motor) but looking at it I can easily see how it slides
Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 AM
rclugnut10

yes your motor could've slid forward, it happened to mine, well i took it out and i didn't put in far enough forward and so it was too far forward, and my grub screw was on the arc'd part coming down from the shaft onto the flat spot and i would spin my pinion all the time, i moved it back a few mm and i haven't had an issue since...

as far as your servo i can't really say, it could be it is drawing too much current, perhaps plug in the old servo and see if it happens with that or borrow a friends higher power servo... if you can't try running a BEC...

the lug
Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 PM
chonyc77

Cool. I didnt know that the motor could slide forward. I took a nasty hit after a full throttle jump and after that hit, the pinion wasnt meshed. Now that i know motor could slide, theres my problem.
As far as the crazy glitches.... I ordered a new servo (HI-tec HS-7950TH) which is amazing. It makes the wheels turn like on a touring car. So im very happy with it.
The radio im using is the Spektrum DX3s. Had no problem with the stock servo.
Any other thoughts? Thanks...
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Brainanator

Nail makes sense a little actually...it's a softer metal so it'll give a little more than screws which are usually harder metals. I personally drilled through then used a large wood screw and put some heat shrink and tape around the point to help protect my fingers, but I know the screws are there. Don't wanna risk breaking more screws off into the supports....it's sucks.

I listed my offerings on the radio problem in my first post, maybe call up HPI/Spektum/Castle and see what the guys that make the stuff say.