Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

need to put new engine in HPI savave 4.6 X

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
puneet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to put new engine in HPI savave 4.6 X

hi

can some one please suggest me a new engine for my savage 4.6X.

i would prefer an OS engine but open for other brands also.

i use this savage for bashing.

thanks

puneet
Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: need to put new engine in HPI savave 4.6 X

I just ordered and LRP 30 for my savy, picco's are also good motors for the savage
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
z style

From what i've read (just getting back into hobby after 7 years) that it comes down to how much you want to spend. I just bought a used savage with a axial 28rr, which seems that a lot of people enjoy.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: puneet

hi

can some one please suggest me a new engine for my savage 4.6X.

i would prefer an OS engine but open for other brands also.

i use this savage for bashing.

thanks

puneet
If you gotta have OS, the OS Max 30VG, but for that kind of money, I'd go with a modded Picco from Clockwork Racing Engines. There are lots of engines that are greaat upgrades over the 4.6. The Mach 427 or 454, Mach 28,LRP Z28R spec 3 or LRP ZX30, Picco 28 P3 and others.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: z style

From what i've read (just getting back into hobby after 7 years) that it comes down to how much you want to spend. I just bought a used savage with a axial 28rr, which seems that a lot of people enjoy.
This is true.You can spend a tonofmoney on nitro engines, but there are some very good engines available for less than $200, and the most of the Machscan be had for $150 or less.The Axial 28RR is practically the same engine as the HPI k4.6,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
puneet

If you gotta have OS, the OS Max 30VG, but for that kind of money, I'd go with a modded Picco from Clockwork Racing Engines. There are lots of engines that are greaat upgrades over the 4.6. The Mach 427 or 454, Mach 28,LRP Z28R spec 3 or LRP ZX30, Picco 28 P3 and others.

03 Savage 21 - Mach 427 06 Savage 25 - Mach 427, 09 Savage X - Clocked Picco, 10 Savage XL -parted, 10 Savage X SS- LRP ZR30

hi

i am located in India and OS products are available here at LHS

for rest of the engines maintaince and spares will be an issue in longer run.

that is way wanted to have an os engine.

do i have to change my exaust pipe and spur gears if shift from HPI engine to OS engine

please advise
cheers
puneet

Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Budget: Dynamite Big Red .28 or Losi 454

Mid-range: LRP 30

High-end: modded Picco

If it were me I'd get an LRP 30, for its user-friendliness, and the fact that it'll push the Savage's durability as is... More power = more problems/broken parts/necessary upgrades, etc...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 AM
puneet

thanks buddy will try and lay my hands on one of these .

cheers
Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
pauly187

LRP .28 =if ur looking for alot of speed and good low end power
LRP .30 = alot of low end power
clocked picco = alot of everything
U choose but if it were me i would do the lrp
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
potillaracing

Axial 32RR-2

Lrp zr.30
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM
puneet

i have zero down my search at LPR Z,28

hope this will suit my savage the best.

also planning to put BU-KU pipe with this suggestions well come.

cheers
Old 04-30-2011, 01:21 AM
HerrSavage

The LRP Z28 Spec 3 is an excellent choice. Go for it and have fun... The 30 is a great engine too I'm sure, but to be honest, the 28 has MORE than enough torque for a standard size Savage, AND more top-end than the 30... Perfect choice IMO. Enjoy...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
puneet

thanks for your encouragment

Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 AM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The LRP Z28 Spec 3 is an excellent choice. Go for it and have fun... The 30 is a great engine too I'm sure, but to be honest, the 28 has MORE than enough torque for a standard size Savage, AND more top-end than the 30... Perfect choice IMO. Enjoy...
Agree 100%
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
puneet

thank you guys

also please advise your thoughts on BU-KU pipe

cheers
Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM
BudBud

If you go LRP 28, Thunderbird Junkie and Herr Savage are good people to be in contact with. I like OS engines, but not their 30VG. It seems rpm limited and prone to sleeve failure.

I noticed that somebody listed the LRP 28 as high speed and good low end power, then commented that the LRP 30 had a lot of low end power. That is partially true, but I do not think the 30 loses anything speed wise to the 28, and is just a little stronger all the way through than the 28, based on running multiples of each.

When running the LRP engines, if your truck is hard starting after running hard, the fuel has boiled away from the carburetor and it is air locked. It will cool in a short time or you can prime as you start it. Their carbs are not insulated and they will boil fuel. Glen
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: BudBud

If you go LRP 28, Thunderbird Junkie and Herr Savage are good people to be in contact with. I like OS engines, but not their 30VG. It seems rpm limited and prone to sleeve failure.

I noticed that somebody listed the LRP 28 as high speed and good low end power, then commented that the LRP 30 had a lot of low end power. That is partially true, but I do not think the 30 loses anything speed wise to the 28, and is just a little stronger all the way through than the 28, based on running multiples of each.
I don't know, maybe it was just mine, but my ZR30 was never as fast in a race as the Z28R. The ZR30 was stronger everywhere else, but the Z28R would always outrun on topend...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
puneet

thanks BudBud will remember your advisecheers
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
potillaracing

Axial 32RR or LRP ZR30
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 PM
HerrSavage

For all SH engines in my experience, you get a much better top-end running an OS A5/#10 plug. The downside is a less stable idle, but I accept that and just blip the throttle a lot..

I had a NIB LRP 30, but sold it un-run because I've been concentrating on other RC's.. I heard from several people though that the LRP 30 didn't have the top-end of the 28..(but oddly, also that it doesn't drink as much fuel... Scratches head.. Who knows?..) But yeah, I never ran the 30 so can't say.. My LRP Z28 Spec 3 though was really quite fast in my 10-ton LST2(and before that, in a Muggy..), and very low-hassle. Keep them cool (200-230)* and they'll live a long time too. The main advice I would give is just keep them cool and run an OS A5/#10 plug for the best performance.. Break in with a hotter plug like an OS #8 or whatever though to get temps up at the beginning for heat cycling.. If you don't care about lots of WOT with your MT(which is understandable) and are more into wheelies and climbing up hills or whatever, then a hotter plug might make life a bit easier. With the #5 though I find the LRP's are a lot faster - especially on top.. My $.02..

* Maybe I've never had this boiling fuel issue because I tend to run the engines cooler?..
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the modified Picco ! its much better on fuel then the LRP engines..over the course of its lifespan it will end up costing you less money as it uses soo much less fuel for the same amount of play time..........Then add in the bonus of the hand fitted piston, insane performance, and super easy tuning ! Plus its Italian made with all the finest materials !!!

to put this into perspective... lets say both engines last 10 gallons of life.... the LRP will give you 30 hours of enjoyment, while on the same amount of fuel the Picco will give you 40 hours of enjoyment.......
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM
puneet

herrsavage

i hv ordered .28 with tower hobbies,should be with me early next week.

lets see how things shape up

cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't argue with these guys about what engine to buy, but I have a little info on my OS 30VG that might be of interest.

As someone said, the 30VG is not a high revving engine, but does seem to have a lot of torque down low. Too much really. To keep wheelies under control, I had to use a 47/19 Spur/CB ratio. That's with the 3-speed. With the two speed, that CB/Spur gearing might be too high. (I didn't use this high gearing until after the engine was broken in and I put a better pipe on it)

As it goes, it's really too high once you hit 3rd gear. As the tires start to balloon, the effective gearing becomes even higher and the engine won't peak out on high speed runs. I'd say the 2-speed might work better with the 30VG, but I havn't tried it.

It's a nice engine, but needs frequent mixture adjustments for well over a gallon. I assume that's from the long break-in. Getting close to 2 gallons through it, the requirement to change tuning stopped unless their was a dramatic change in the weather.

I havn't had any problems with the sleeve, although I've noticed it is an issue brought up frequently in RC forums. I must have 6 gallons of fuel through mine and it's working the same as it did from when break-in was complete.

I did buy a THS pipe for it. It runs a little hot with the stock HPI plastic pipe (that may have had something to do with my early tuning issues). I dont know how the THS pipe compares to other after-market pipes, but it's a lot better than the stock pipe.

As mentioned above, there might be equal, or better engines that are cheaper, but price can fluctuate. Sometimes hobby shops have a sale, or possible the shipping to your location puts another engine in the same price range as the OS, if the OS is in stock at your hobby shop.