Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

castor oil in my fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
dragonbat13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default castor oil in my fuel question

i am using trinity fuel in my xl
i want some castor oil running through my engine

the bottle says 12 percent oil synthetic racing castor blend.

whats that supposed to mean

my question is can i mix some real castor oil in it if needed and so how much

its 20 percent nitro
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
sharkattack99

Default RE: castor oil in my fuel question

don't add any oil to your fuel it already has the proper amount of oil in there adding more would just hurt you more then help you 12% is plenty.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

don't add any oil to your fuel it already has the proper amount of oil in there adding more would just hurt you more then help you 12% is plenty.
+1 don't worry about the oil, today's fuels are plenty good as long as you stay away from Crapxxas Bottom fuel.[:'(]
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Crapxxas Bottom fuel.[:'(]
LOL!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: dragonbat13

its 20 percent nitro
I used to run the same fuel. I believe the 12% oil trinity is an 80/20 blend - 80% synthetic / 20% castor. More than adequate. I run 20% nitro/12% castor homebrew in my rigs, and I've tried 14% castor also. No difference in power, not a large difference in how much oil spits out of the exhaust either.

If you want the instant throttle response most guys are used to, dont add any oil to 12% fuel unless you're a really good tuner. More oil is good for the engine but if you dont have it tuned right, it will run a tad bit cooler and spool up a little slower. If you want more castor than what comes in the fuel, look for car fuel thats only 8% oil (Race-only type fuels) and add enough oil to bring it up to 12%.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
dragonbat13

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: dragonbat13

its 20 percent nitro
I used to run the same fuel. I believe the 12% oil trinity is an 80/20 blend - 80% synthetic / 20% castor. More than adequate. I run 20% nitro/12% castor homebrew in my rigs, and I've tried 14% castor also. No difference in power, not a large difference in how much oil spits out of the exhaust either.

If you want the instant throttle response most guys are used to, dont add any oil to 12% fuel unless you're a really good tuner. More oil is good for the engine but if you dont have it tuned right, it will run a tad bit cooler and spool up a little slower. If you want more castor than what comes in the fuel, look for car fuel thats only 8% oil (Race-only type fuels) and add enough oil to bring it up to 12%.
thanks

just what i wanted to know

i just wanted the coating effect of the castor oil

the fuel has been easy to tune btw
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Yea caster oil is a great protecting oil. The down side is it burns dirty. So fuel mfg's use a synthetic oil blended with a caster oil. That way it isnt as dirty buring but you get the benifits of caster oil. I run Klotz Supertechniplate oil in my Yamaha Banshee. It is 80% synthetic 20% caster. I think a lot of fuel mfg's use klotz oil in their fuel.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything over 9% oil is a waste..... makes tuning more difficult and is no better on your engine........high oil = high temps, picky tuning and more chance of detonation.........
Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

anything over 9% oil is a waste..... makes tuning more difficult and is no better on your engine........high oil = high temps, picky tuning and more chance of detonation.........
I agree, other than I find 12% good enough for me. Once you go higher though, I do find increased temps, touchy tuning, etc.

Adding a small amount of castor won't hurt anything, and maybe it will help, but fuels that already conatin some castor are available.

But I have to add (like I always do when fuel questions come up...LOL), don't buy this stuff. It's horrible with 16% oil:

Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Argess

ORIGINAL: supertib

I agree, other than I find 12% good enough for me. Once you go higher though, I do find increased temps, touchy tuning, etc.

Adding a small amount of castor won't hurt anything, and maybe it will help, but fuels that already conatin some castor are available.

But I have to add (like I always do when fuel questions come up...LOL), don't buy this stuff. It's horrible with 16% oil:

I use backyard basher for breakins !!!....has tons of castor oil ...crappy fuel, but great for breakins IMO
Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
chevymanmike1010
My Feedback: (11)

damn dude i use the crapxxas bottom fuel, but thats only cause thats all i can get in my city. all he carries it traxxas fuel. whats so bad about it? im just askin cuz ive never had the oportunity to use any other bien that thats all my lhs carries. ive never had a problem out of it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: chevymanmike1010

damn dude i use the crapxxas bottom fuel, but thats only cause thats all i can get in my city. all he carries it traxxas fuel. whats so bad about it? im just askin cuz ive never had the oportunity to use any other bien that thats all my lhs carries. ive never had a problem out of it.
Don't get too bent out of shape. There's fuel that works, and there's fuel that performs. I'm limited to Morgan Fuels at my LHS, so I buy Sidewinder Race fuel. Maybe not the best, but I'm satisfied with it although I have no doubt there are better fuels out there.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I have been running Blue Thunder HP8. 8% oil. 6%caster 2% synthetic.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I've seen alot of guys have engine issues until they get rid of the Crapxxas fuel, then it's smooth sailing.
Also the engines I have opened up that were previously run on Crapxxas fuel were ALWAYS gunked up with black crap and rusty on the internal bearings and crank, black crud clogging the conrod oiling holes etc...

I wouldn't even clean my air filters with that crap.