Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Corrosion inside crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corrosion inside crankcase

and for whatever reason the bearings i use dont show light. ive seen too many bearings get wasted because the "seal" pops out or gives way. just like in post #17, IME i use shielded bearings with good results.

and a contrary opinion does not mean ignorant and misinformed. you can get off your high horse now.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Avid RC

What shield/seal is right for you?

Seals are not that tricky of a thing to understand. Rubber seals offer the most protection from debris entering the bearing but at the cost of a little friction from the rubber seal touching the races under loaded activities. Teflon provides the least amount of friction with great protection but teflon seals are known to be touchy animals while under load, they have a tendency to pop off. Metal shields are your most common variety of shield offered in the bearing market by providing decent protection and low friction.

Revolution (RSZ): Avid invented this seal make up in 2003 to offer the best of both worlds. There is a rubber seal on one side of the bearing and metal on the other. Since most cars have enclosed hubs and diffs, there is no reason to have the extra price of friction from the inside the hub with a rubber seal where no dirt can possible enter. But you still have the protection from the dirt not entering from the outside because it is sealed with the rubber seal.

Metal (ZZ): Suggested use of metal is on high temperature areas such as clutches or on tracks that are always well maintained with light watering in-between rounds.

Rubber (RS): They are becoming the more popular bearing among avid rc enthusiasts because they require the least maintenance to keep up to speed. In 1/8th scale clutches the rubber seal is not harmed if your clutch is setup correctly, however in 1/10 scale nitro trucks they will melt. We suggest that you use these on dusty or wet/muddy tracks because of their protection. The amount of resistance created by rubber is only slightly noticable in our uses so this is another reason of their rising popularity. Because they block dirt from getting in they also keep the grease from getting out.

Teflon (TS): We suggest you use teflon inside of enclosed areas such as transmissions. They provide the least amount of resistance but best used in non-loaded situations.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Mclovin350z

No metal shielded bearing is going to last longer in a wheel, that's like running a sealed bearing without the seal lol.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

and for whatever reason the bearings i use dont show light. ive seen too many bearings get wasted because the ''seal'' pops out or gives way. just like in post #17, IME i use shielded bearings with good results.

and a contrary opinion does not mean ignorant and misinformed. you can get off your high horse now.

So now your making claims that my horse does drugs??? [X(]
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 AM
tallone09

Have to say work on auto all my life and the they dont use metal shield keep out dust or leaks its always rubber seal on there motor so why would what do that on nitro motor .
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM
woodwore69

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

and for whatever reason the bearings i use dont show light. ive seen too many bearings get wasted because the ''seal'' pops out or gives way. just like in post #17, IME i use shielded bearings with good results.

So now your making claims that my horse does drugs??? [X(]
Maybe he thinks your horse is tall
Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Mclovin350z

It's 2011, who even has a horse these days?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:56 PM
SavagedXXL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28106.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1611486  
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
llkoolskillet

Back to the original post here haha.... I let the motor sit in fuel for the last 4 days. I am pleased to post that the bearings are fine just a little surface corrosion on the races. The balls inside spin freely and without obstruction. The crank also has minor surface corrosion on it. I just ordered diamond dremel sanding bits. I have been reading up on how to mod your own engine. How much material is alowed to come off before the crank becomes to unbalanced. I know the Supertip and Purenitro have a ton of experience in this area. Could either of you give me a few pointers on whats up with grinding. Have no fear im not a noob with metal. Im a certified Aeronautical Welder/ metal smith so i know my way around metal. But these engines rotate at 40+ thousand rpm. Alot can go wrong quickly
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

the metal shields will hold up a lot longer in harsh conditions.
You do realize that for an ABEC =<5 bearing, metal shields require a minimum inner race clearance in the range of several tens of micrometers in order to function without significant drag, right?

Well, guess what, plenty of particles from an average dirt sample will pass through a 100 micron or finer screen, and all of these have the potential to enter metal shielded bearings without much resistance. Running said bearings in any exposed area of an offroad vehicle will result in very rapid destruction of the balls and races, leading to a complete failure of the unit.

The ONLY suitable applications for metal shielded bearings in an offroad R/C are the clutch and sealed gearbox housings. Everything else, especially the engine front bearing, should have a contact seal, not a shield. If you're having problems with rubber seals, you're clearly doing something wrong.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
purenitro33

and a contrary opinion does not mean ignorant and misinformed.
Your opinion and post was rude and ignorant towards me when I was only trying to help and give good information. You are misinformed as you are comparing tiny wheel bearings which have a constant spray of dust/dirt/mud which the front engine bearing will never be subjected to. Given the size of the wheel bearing, you may not be able to see through them, but then you come out with "you must be running cheap gear" lol. I don't mind to give information but when your rude to me, call me a liar and then make accusations of which you have zero knowledge on, my tongue may slip a little bit. Just because you had a seal pop out and you put the same one back in only to have it pop out again doesn't mean that sealed bearings are all junk, remember which engine and bearing therein you are referring to before you accuse me of running cheap stuff, as you yourself are running some of the cheapest equipment out there. If you want proof, just look at what the other members have posted, you can believe what I say or ignore it, I will not back every one of my comments with proof just to appease you buddy

Sorry to the OP for getting a little sideways from the original question, it was never my intention.

Robin.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

Your opinion and post was rude and ignorant towards me when I was only trying to help and give good information.i was ignorant and misinformed? You are misinformed as you are comparing tiny wheel bearings which have a constant spray of dust/dirt/mud which the front engine bearing will never be subjected to.i never said what size they were. i gave a mention of wheel bearings on a slash-but i also use metal shields on my baja Given the size of the wheel bearing, you may not be able to see through them, but then you come out with ''you must be running cheap gear'' lol. I don't mind to give information but when your rude to me, call me a liarwhen did i do that? ...isnt that being ignorant again? and then make accusations of which you have zero knowledge on,remember that part about being ignorant? my tongue may slip a little bit. Just because you had a seal pop out and you put the same one back in only to have it pop out again doesn't mean that sealed bearings are all junk,i think you need to remember i never said all rubber seal bearings are junk remember which engine and bearing therein you are referring to before you accuse me of running cheap stuff, as you yourself are running some of the cheapest equipment out there.remember that part about being ignorant? because you really know what i run..you're a "pro" right? If you want proof, just look at what the other members have posted, you can believe what I say or ignore it, I will not back every one of my comments with proof just to appease you buddy

Sorry to the OP for getting a little sideways from the original question, it was never my intention.

Robin.
do you feel better now? did you "show me who's boss"? you can inflate your ego about "being a pro" and whatever else you feel like fluffing yourself with, its all the same to me. if im such a loser nobody who doesnt know anything you sure do take some time to try and prove me wrong.

I'd like to point out to all the bruised ego's and contradicted know it all's that in my experience, metal shielded bearings work good for me.
read post #17 again.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 AM
llkoolskillet

What ever works best for you! But dont go around saying that others are wrong. You keep quoting post 17.... well good for you dude. If you read the whole thread you will see that Purenitro33 and few others have put up some real strong information about these bearings. Just because you have 2 trucks or whatever doesnt make you a pro. Some of these guys actually build engines as there job. There not going to post anything here if it was going to hurt or ruin your motor/ truck.

Ill tell you this... LISTEN TO WHAT THE F@*K THEY HAVE TO SAY You started your posts on this thread actually trying to give advice and i thank you for that, but then you switched your post over to trying to prove to everyone that your sheilded bearings are better.

Pull your head out of your butt dude[X(]
Old 05-22-2011, 05:20 PM
savagecommander

never said they were wrong. and they can call themselves pro's all day, that doesnt mean their word is gold. and no, i didnt turn my posts into proving them wrong, its the other way around- i posted that all my points are from my experience. and if they are such pro's, they sure get confrontational to anything other than what they put across....
Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 AM
djyjrlz

with the modifcations inside the engine the best thing is to keep it minimal, dont gouge a huge chunk out thinking it will help, make it smooth. and make the surface smooth to the touch. no need to polish it. but a mini wire wheel will work beautifully on getting rid of the corrosion.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

Back to the original post here haha.... I let the motor sit in fuel for the last 4 days. I am pleased to post that the bearings are fine just a little surface corrosion on the races. The balls inside spin freely and without obstruction. The crank also has minor surface corrosion on it. I just ordered diamond dremel sanding bits. I have been reading up on how to mod your own engine. How much material is alowed to come off before the crank becomes to unbalanced. I know the Supertip and Purenitro have a ton of experience in this area. Could either of you give me a few pointers on whats up with grinding. Have no fear im not a noob with metal. Im a certified Aeronautical Welder/ metal smith so i know my way around metal. But these engines rotate at 40+ thousand rpm. Alot can go wrong quickly

I add weight to my crank counterbalances.....So I wouldn't be removing too much material, it really doesn't add any power anyways.....