Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

NOT A GOOD DEAL

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
bdgf2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT A GOOD DEAL

first off i'm new! the other day i was looking in craigslist and found a HPI Savage X SS for $225 so i bought it. the guy said that it hasn't been ran in about 10 months. so i bought so 20% nitro a glow plug and some after oil. i got home and lubed it up (few drops in glow plug hole) and started trying to crank it. it fired up within 20 minutes run was not tuned. so as i kept reading on the net i noticed some wierd stuff, come to find out it's not even a HPIit's a Nanda Raptor. when i got it to go it ripped a tire apart. apon inspection i noticed the tires are all rotted, the fuel lines are the same and various parts seem to be very brittle. i can't get it tuned right!!!!!!! i have 5 blisters from cranking and they hurt. now it's still not tuned right but runs a little better that's when i saw the front wheels have a lot more power so i pull the rear diff. and the bevel gear is shattered so i pulled the rear drive shaft to disengage it. i bought it yesterday and it came with 2 extra plastic spur gears and i have burnt all three very quickly just tryin' to get it tuned. the guy i bought it from told me he knew absolutely nothing about it and told me to look it over before i bought it. BUTIMNEW i didn't know what to look for. the parts appear to be much harder to find than savage parts. what should i do????
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
pauly187

Default RE: NOT A GOOD DEAL

Nanda Raptor?
i tryed to look it up and it looks to be cheap .....
i wouldnt waist more money on it

see if you can post it on craigslist for like 50 bucks
try and get something back idk

i dout the guy will take it back though
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM
CUHRYTDUH
My Feedback: (12)

Yes it does sound possibly cheap. Whoever sold it to you will get what they have comin. In the meantime if you want to keep it I think it can be fixed with a little work. You say its hard to tune, can u describe? It could be anything from being off a little on the needles, to an air leak, or maybe just a bad o-ring on the gas tank. To keep from getting blisters try heating up the head with blow dryer before starting, at the same time dont over prime it(most likely cause of not starting is the glow plug is cold and has too much fuel on it). You may be stripping spur gears from a tight slipper clutch, or tight gear mesh.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
bdgf2004

at first it wasn't running at all. so after some reading i flushed up the hi and lo screws and with a little adjustment clockwise on both it would run but when i hit the brakes it would die. so i screwed in the idle screw and the problem with the brakes is cured but it seems to run too hot maybe. it will go very fast and i can stop and it will idle for about 10 seconds before it dies. i watch many savage videos for tuning and read a lot. i pop off the air filter and there is about 1mm open in the carb so i put filter back on and crank it. once running i'll turn the hi screwclockwise 1/4 turn at a time when i feel it is responding better i stop and then start on the lo screw 1/4 turn clockwiseat a time. but it just doesn't seem to get better. now that it is running more the spur gear keeps melting. now i have no more and am not sure what to order same for the bevel gear. i saw the vast quantity of parts available for the savage so that's one of the reasons i bought it but now im lost on parts.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

No offense, but the buyer, you, is at fault for the purchase. You should have done more research on what you were looking for and to know what to look for.

Take this as a "cheap" learning experience towards other, much stressful purchases/events in life.

Look in the RCU classifieds and on ebay. Look for ratings and ask as many questions as you can think of. What makes me more likely to seal a deal is if the seller is willing to explain everything that I ask about and not get pissy about it. Saying that, I've obviously had quite a few of each kind.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM
bdgf2004

i will probably just cut my losses. this has got to the the worst purchase i have ever made! i'v been ripped off before but if it's broke i can usaully fix it, obviously not this. so far i drove 2 hrs to get the truck that cost about $15, spent $30 at hobby shop for supplies, paid $225 for the truck and bought $15 in batteries. as of now i know i need wheels $40, spur gear $10, bevel gear $13 and fuel line $5.

15+30+225=$270 already spent
40+10+13+5=$68 parts i know it needs (if they'll fit i don't k,now)
so for with $338 i can be back at square 1 (no fun)

i see BRAND NEW HPI SAVAGE X's on ebay for $365

i've messed with this thing for 2 days and my girlfriend is getting pissed off at me. that's not good

things are going wrong faster than i can find solutions! the arm for the throttle/brake broke but i repaired it nicely. the stop for the servo bar going to the brakes stripped out so i had to rig it. the nipple on the gas tank for the muffler hose broke i have not yet repaired that. i've been using blue thread lock on all the screws i mess with but i see the others are falling out faster than i can replace them. i wonder how old this thing is or what conditions it was stored in because i have to honestly say it did not appear so bad at first but as i mess with it it gets worse and worse.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bdgf2004

i've messed with this thing for 2 days and my girlfriend is getting pissed off at me. that's not good
That usually happens no matter what. Even if you get a savage it will continue to happen.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Umar M

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

That usually happens no matter what. Even if you get a savage it will continue to happen.
hahaha... unless you get her a chance to play with the savage then your fine.

bdgf2004, i recommend you cutting your losses short, i'm sorry you have such a ****ty piece of **** as your first nitro. i can't say that you'll have smooth sailing even with a brand new savvy, but thats the fun about nitro, you get to know your truck in the process more than a electric plug and play...

if i were you, i would buy the new savage x 4.6, it comes with a goodie bag full of everything you need to get started, except fuel.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/105644/

goodluck
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
djyjrlz

are you still in contact with the seller? because he did mis-advertise what he sold you....
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried Googling a Nanda Raptor, and in some of the pics, it does look a lot like a Savage. I see there's a Raptor X and I do see TVPs sticking out from under the body.

I"d be ticked off if it were me, but this may also be an opportunity. If the basic vehicle is half-decent at all, it might be worth some new tires and some TLC. Just another option as you try to decide how to make the best of a bad situation.

Mind you, you might need to be handy with tools, as I can see some parts might have to be hand-made and you might have to fit a differential from another type truck in there.

If you manage to get it running decently, there's no doubt you'll be well educated by the experience and you'll know what to look for when the time comes to get a better truck.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Argess

I tried Googling a Nanda Raptor, and in some of the pics, it does look a lot like a Savage. I see there's a Raptor X and I do see TVPs sticking out from under the body.
Agree

While I was looking at it I saw a pic where someone slapped a stock savage X body on theirs and I couldn't really tell the difference from the side shot. Specially seeing all the aftermarket savage TVP's, and what not that are made.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
bdgf2004

well i slep on it and read ya'lls replys (thanks). i found a site for parts http://www.fuyuanrc.com/en/detail.asp?id=12393 but i'm stilll unsure what i will do. i believe if i attempt sell it i would have to take a major loss and a lot of time because nobody has heard of the raptor, but if i keep it whos to say i will buy buy buy parts untill i run into something that's not available. if i sell cheap i will be mad. if i buy a new savage my girl will be mad.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
bdgf2004

should i disassymble the clutch bell to see why it's getting super hot (spit don't bubble it immediatly diasppears). that's after only a minute or 2 of running on a dirt road. it also appears as though the clutch bell may be discolored from heat.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM
SavagedXXL

When looking for parts, it will help if you also look for Schumacher Raptor parts, because it is the same truck. That truck has a SH .28 engine, which is better and stronger enginethan either the Savage X or XL engines. I think a lot of things from a Savage fits them. I know I've seen people say they've put HPI 3 speeds in them and I know a HPI wheelie bar fits them. If you can figure out if some of the common wear parts from a Savage will fit it, it may be worth keeping. At the very least, you have a good engine, so if you can get it side by side with someone else's Savage, you be able to tell if the suspension parts, etc with swap over. Take it to a Hobby Shop and see if you can compare it to a display model.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
SavagedXXL

Looking on the site you posted, it "appears" as if just about all the suspension parts, shock mounts, body mounts , etc are identical to Savage stuff, but in aluminum. It actually looks a Savage built with Integy parts, really. Some of them have SH .25's which just a rebadged XTM24.7, which is another very good engine.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
bdgf2004

on the side of the body it says .27 c.i.d.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
llkoolskillet

http://www.nitrorcx.com/1exrcmamma.html

I bought my first truck from them. As a beginner to the hobby it has served me well, but as your finding out parts are hard to get. This site has everything for your truck. Its called the Mad Beast here in the states. They have a decent customer service.

This truck really isnt worth the headaches. Sell on ebay and get a SAVAGE dude!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
SavagedXXL

on the side of the body it says .27 c.i.d.
Oh lord - that's the Toki engine. Don't walk - RUN away from that thing. That is basically same engine as old Team Orion Wasp.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
bdgf2004

thanks for the site llkoolskillet, it appears to have all the needed parts. but it seems as though i am getting more feedback telling me to stop messing with it and get a traxxas or hpi.either way i go i will have spent about the same amount on an older "odd-ball" truck or a new savage. what would be a fair asking price on this? needs tires, a few nuts and bolts, spur gear, bevelgearandsome tuning.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
etivac13

you should have returned it when you found out that it's not a savage...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get more than $100 for it, that'll be optimistic. I wouldn't take it if it were free [:'(]
Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
llkoolskillet

thanks for the site llkoolskillet, it appears to have all the needed parts. but it seems as though i am getting more feedback telling me to stop messing with it and get a traxxas or hpi.either way i go i will have spent about the same amount on an older ''odd-ball'' truck or a new savage. what would be a fair asking price on this? needs tires, a few nuts and bolts, spur gear, bevel gear and some tuning.
I think for you to get the most money out of it you should part it out. Either way in the long run your going to loose money on it. Cut your loss and get a Savage. There are great deals on eBay all the time for X's and XL's. I got an X that was ran 3 times for $250 shipped. Brand new if you ask me, no scratches.

I too also agree you should have returned it [X(]
Old 05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the engine is OK then you could just get a Savage X roller those go for around $150- $200 usually, and plop the engine into it
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM
chonyc77

I would try to re post it on Craiglist and try to make some money back. Unfortunately, its really not the guys fault but yours. Its you job to completely look things over as best you could and make your decisions from that. Take it as a 200 dollar learning experience and move on.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
bdgf2004

i have to agree that i played a large roll in my "bad deal". the truck was literally in better condition when i got it than it is today so i ordered some parts from the sigte llkoolskillet mentioned. if i can get it going i know i could sell it for a lot more or just make due with it. either way i can't stand the fact that i messed it u p! honestly i've read around about tuning and i have found a manual for the engine  http://www.powerracingrc.com/manuals...ty27manual.pdf but i fear i will still have problems once i get my parts with tuning. for the most part i see that both the hi & lo screws should shart out flush and screw in clock-wise starting with the hi screw. as far as the idle screw pop off the air filter a look inside the carb to make sure you have about a 1 mm opening. but i also see that with some engines the starting piont for the hi & lo screws is not flush. in this manual it says i should start with the hi screw 4 revs from the bottom i get that no problem.

but i don't understand this...Low-end needle valve: Adjust the clearance between Pillow ball mounting end face and low-end needle valve end face.

adjust the clearance to what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.