Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Flux 2350 - wheel nut problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM
TTMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Flux 2350 - wheel nut problems

My Savage Flux 2350 is fantastic, but I have had a problem with wheel nuts coming loose ever since Ibought it. No matter how hard I tighten them, they come loose. I even put a light amount of threadlock on and they still became loose. Twice today, I had wheels come off while running. After putting a thicker application of threadlock on, the wheels finally seem to be staying on. In the process, I've now stripped the hex out of a new wheel and, after today, I may find more stripped wheels. Ihaven't serviced my truck yet.

Is this a know issue with the Savage? I've never had a model with wheel nuts like those supplied with this truck. They have serations on the inner flange that is supposed to bite into the plastic wheel surface, but they don't grip well enough to stay tight. Considering the immense torque the wheels are subjected to under brushless power, Idon't see how the serations would be enough to maintain their grip.

The old style basic nut with a nylon locker has never given me a problem over 30 years in the hobby. They're on my AE MGT 8.0, and that truck puts out massive power too, but they stay put with no problem.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Cossey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Savage Flux 2350 - wheel nut problems

Mine does it too. Stock up on blue threadlock, that seems to do the trick for me. I also programmer the ESC so that I only get 25% power in reverse, cuz I heard goin from reverse to forward can do this as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM
CR500rider

mine did the same, and it starts by the wheel hex stripping which loosens the wheel nut. I bought new wheels and tightened them down untill i thought it going to snap and have never had a problem since, no loctite even
Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
sturb25

This is a very common problem with the flux's. I never had this issue with all my nitro savages over the years simply because the savage 25 had oppistite thread on either side and the x didnt produce enough power to start stripping the hex's. Once the hex's start to wear even the slightest bit they will just keep undoing.

A simple way HPI can fix this anoying issue is make some left hand thread nuts and axles.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Freezetron

Same problem here, only its my damn front left tire that keeps doing it. Other then cleaning the axles and putting on fresh loctite, there's not much you can do
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM
TTMT

Okay, so I'm definitely not alone.  I'm not sure why HPI uses this approach.  The basic lock nut approach is so simple and reliable.

So, plenty of threadlocker is the solution.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

mine has the flanges and the nylon in the nut, thus a lock nut. And yes, you really should screw them down super tight to avoid stripping hexs. I'm actually running 14mm hex wheels right now, I knew it was risky so I tightened them tighter than I though was possible, no problems yet! never used locktite either.

Already stripped hexes can loosen wheel nuts as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM
TTMT

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

mine has the flanges and the nylon in the nut, thus a lock nut. And yes, you really should screw them down super tight to avoid stripping hexs. I'm actually running 14mm hex wheels right now, I knew it was risky so I tightened them tighter than I though was possible, no problems yet! never used locktite either.

Already stripped hexes can loosen wheel nuts as well.
Where did you get them with nylon inside the nut? Mine just seem to rely on the little serations on the flanges.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Freezetron

The Savage Flux nuts come with flanges and nylon inside them

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/Z680/
Old 06-05-2011, 03:32 PM
TTMT

Okay.  The ones that shipped with my truck don't seem to have nylon in the nut.  I've found that a good drop of threadlocker seems to be necessary.  I think HPI should put a note in the packaging about this.  I now have two stripped wheel hexes after the nuts came loose while I was running the truck.