Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Bushings to bearings in steering??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 PM
RazurBlackz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushings to bearings in steering??

Has any replaced the stock stearing bushings to the bearings? Is really a worth while upgrade??
RB
Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bushings to bearings in steering??

It is if you upgrade to a decent servo as well. A high torque servo and ball raced steering system will make a good difference to your steering speed and torque. Sure the servo will make 70% of the difference, but the bearings make a bigger difference than you might think. Not least of all, the servo will pull less current (again not a lot, but every bit helps).
Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM
sparky 25

I changed the stock plastic steering bushings in my savage to bearings,

took some slop out of my steering, although i did have a few gallons runtime on it at this stage

also fitted the hpi hd servo saver spring, alloy hubs and flm alloy draglink on my steering,

its totally up to your own preference as to how much slop you want to eliminate from your steering,

mine has very little slop now.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
RazurBlackz

I already have the hitecHS-645MG high torque steering servo. I was hoping the bearings would help with slop. Sounds like it does. Anything else to remove SLOP??
Thanks.
RB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33249.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1625407  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 PM
RazurBlackz

Do you have the link showing the flm draglink for steering? I could not find what you are talking about.
ORIGINAL: sparky 25

I changed the stock plastic steering bushings in my savage to bearings,

took some slop out of my steering, although i did have a few gallons runtime on it at this stage

also fitted the hpi hd servo saver spring, alloy hubs and flm alloy draglink on my steering,

its totally up to your own preference as to how much slop you want to eliminate from your steering,

mine has very little slop now.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google 'Fast Lane Machine'
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Freezetron

When I built Frostbyte II, I went with bearings to help smooth out the steering, it was a big difference between brushings. Plus, bearing will last alot longer because the bushings are freaking plastic

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM
RazurBlackz

Thanks FREEZE.....Excellent pics.
RB
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I tried lots of different brands and types of bearing on the steering posts of my Savage, and none of them held up effectively. It seems that with the limited motion and rapid direction changes these bearings experience, they tend to lock up very rapidly, especially if any dirt or moisture gets into the races.

I currently run Oilite bushings, and they work very well. No seizing issues and negligible wear compared to the stock nylon pieces. I honestly haven't noticed a difference in steering performance between Oilite/plastic bushings and bearings, but my truck isn't exactly set up for optimal track handling.

If you do go with bearings, be sure to buy some rubber shielded units instead of the HPI kit, as they'll have a better chance of holding up.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Freezetron

Umm no issues here even after running them in the snow. So I dunno what your problem is
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I'm not the only one, there have been at least half a dozen people on SC who reported the same issue.

Have you taken the bearings apart to inspect them and verify that they're still turning freely?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
sharkattack99

yeah i havn't had any problem with my bearing in my steering post since i put them in summer of last year still look great and move freely
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

I'm not the only one, there have been at least half a dozen people on SC who reported the same issue.

Have you taken the bearings apart to inspect them and verify that they're still turning freely?
Yes, took my Flux apart before spring to give it a rebuild and with some fresh bearing oil, my steering arms moved free and light. i'm not surprised people from SC are biatching about something so minut, they are pretty anal about such things. Nor do they have a sense of humor, so hence I don't bother with them anymore