Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

100wt oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 AM
domizgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100wt oil?

Iv got 8 big bores on my flux with stock springs I was thinking of putting 100wt oil in them so they are super tough for general bashing. Good idea?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 100wt oil?

I would expect you'll blow the caps off landing from jumps with that kind of weight in them unless you make an extra hole in the pistons, in which case you might as well have used lower rated oil. What exactly are you hoping to achieve? Optimal landing absorption, or stopping it bottoming out at all?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 AM
domizgood

I just want to make it as solid as possible I have no race track here and speed runs are only fun for a short amount of time. The only thing I have at my disposal are big bmx dirt jumps. What do you think would be a correct wt oil to use?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 AM
Foxy

I'd try putting a centimeter of nitro fuel tubing round the bottom of the shafts as a bump stop and use the recommended range of oils (which being as you have 8 shocks, is probably around the 20 mark) for optimal shock action based on the number of holes in the pistons. 30weight is as high as I'd go, but don't let that stop you experimenting.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
domizgood

Im curious...........100wt here I come!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Foxy

Better get some spare shock bodies and end caps then :P

Oh, and shafts. But they might be ok since you got 8 shocks.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
llkoolskillet

First off why are you running 8 Big Bores? You dont need to at all. IF your so worried about the landings then put a set of Terra Pins on with one set of big bores w 40wt. Trust me even jumping 25-30ft straight up in the air and landing all crazy style the most youll expect to happen is the shock popping off the mount. To solve that use a washer between the bolt and the shock. Ive been running big bores on my XL for 2 years now and had the worst of landings and still to this day have not needed to fill them up or adjust them at all.
I also tried putting 4 BB on the rear and 4 stock shocks with red stiff springs on the front to make my landings not as harsh. I found i ended up breaking things around the shocks cause they were to still.
As for the 100wt listen to Foxy your going to break things that you shouldnt putting that wt in. 40wt is my recommendation.... like above experiment[X(]

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
domizgood

Q. Why am I using 8 big bores?
A. Because I can.

I like the sound of those other shocks I will check them out.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Cossey
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: domizgood

Q. Why am I using 8 big bores?
A. Because I know nothing about dampening.
Fixed. There's not point to that much dampening in a monster truck. Period. I'm using the stock plastic-body big bores w/ HPI's 2nd highest rate spring (forgot if it's white or yellow), and 35wt oil and have no issues at all landing big jumps without a landing ramp. The only way you'll prevent bottoming out is with proper oil and spring rates, even if you have 8 big bores. Shock = response to bouncing up and down. Spring = how low/high it gets on impact.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
smitty2919

Unless he had the 8 big bores laying around. Otherwise I don't see a need. LOL you asked about using 100wt and then ppl said it's not a good idea then you say you're curious and going to do it anyways....then why ask? Just do it.

Bigger/badder isn't always better. If you want the most durable, maybe stack two of HPI's stiffest springs(yea compress and preload them on) on each shock with 100wt oil.....BYE BYE BOTTOMING OUT!

Shocks HAVE to give. That's the point, the energy has to go somewhere from the impact. If you go too stiff then the energy won't transfer from the wheels to the shocks to the oil and then eventyally become heat and dissipate. You will start breaking things you don't have to be breaking if you go too stiff.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I would just cut wooden dowls the same lenght as the shocks then. Paint them black and call them big bore's with 100 wt oil.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
xerxes

any weight thicker then 50wt will eithr pop ur shock capps traxxas style, or bend ur shock shafts. run 8 bigbors with 30 or 40wt if u want stiffness.

p.s. u can get a new set of 4 big bor take offs on ebay fer lyk 30$ or less