Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

dynamite 086 on savage x with 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 PM
honda2237

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynamite 086 on savage x with 5.9

So this is my first savage ever and nitro in 3 years, i got a brand new savage x (i believe ss, because he said kit) with a 5.9 (i know not the best motor but it will do) for $212 shipped with servos. I've heard the dynamite 086 helps temps and top end on the 5.9 a lot, but no matter how much i search, i can't find anything that says it will fit my set-up. So will it fit? any input would be great, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of room behind the engine. The truck won't be here till monday so i can't really look, but this wait is killing me because i'm tired of fixing my brushless lst, and i burnt up my mamba in my sc10. I believe i have a chance to get a used dynamite 086 for cheap, whats the best way to clean it?
Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
steed2-inactive

Default RE: dynamite 086 on savage x with 5.9

the dynamite pipe and header will not fit with the 8 shock setup. it will however fit with a set of 4 bigbore shocks. you can run the original header and rubber coupler but will more than likely pop off the rubber couple during hard crashes as it doesnt have the proper flange for the coupler to grab on to. also you will need to drill the chassis plate to move the mount for the end of the pipe back as the 086 is shorter.( its easy). cheers and good luck. i am running this pipe on an lrp 30 and love it. thinking about getting another for my other savage x with an axial .32 rr-1 (same as your 5.9, just a smaller piston/sleeve(i think). as far as cleaning, elbow grease and compressed air works great. cheers and good luck- you got a somewhat rare savage as the ss kit only came with the 5.9 for a short run. not the best engine but i am sure you will make due.-scott
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
steed2-inactive

also on the lrp 30 i had to gring the header flange where it meets the engine, as it wouldn't clear the pull start backplate, no biggy though, you will see what i mean when you try to put the header on the engine, dont grind anything untill you have the truck to try fitment, and go slow, you can always take more off, but cant add it back on...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 AM
honda2237

No its not the 5.9 ss, but a 4.6 ss with a 5.9 in it. Lol I wish the guy would have stuck a Lrp .28 in it.
Ok, good to know about the pipe, but what about the ofna 086, the header looks different, it has a double bend rather than a sweeping curve?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 AM
llkoolskillet

Get an ERCM endbleed pipe
Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 AM
steed2-inactive

cant really blame the guy, alot of local hobby stores havent got a clue, mine always tell's me how axials are the best engine made and how a 5.9 is just "stupid powerful". when i ordered my lrp 30 from them they looked at me like i was from mars....lol. i thought the ofna and dynamite were the same
the ofna probably wont fit with the 8 shock setup either, the dynamite is a fairly quiet pipe believe it or not, i am very happy with it, the ercm pipes, (especially the end bleed) are going to be super loud, which is cool on one hand, but can put a dampener on your running pending the locals.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
honda2237

Ya I probably would have done the same thing if I didn't know either. I've had a lrp .28 spec 3 and loved that engine in my lst, I ran it a little rich so I didn't wheeling so much. Lol I hate my lhs, they once told me I return a lot of batteries, considering that was probably the first one in atleast 3 years, and the fact that I buy all my lipos online and have been running lipos since the original mamba came out, and it was a small nimh pack that was clicking when you charged it. I just found it kind of rude of the owner to say something like that, since I've spent over $1000 in parts and $1000 in trucks from there.
Ya I would prefer something quiet so if I do run it, I don't Piss off the neighbors. Lol
Thanks for the help on the pipe.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the OFNA 086 and the Dynamite 086 are two completely different pipes.... they sound different, they perform different and they dyno different results...the OFNA is a much better pipe IMHO.... it is louder and makes substantially more power....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
llkoolskillet

HAHA my LHS says that axials are awesome motors too. Also the store manager told me that they dont make 4 shoe clutch systems. The only thing i go into my store for is fuel i dont even buy my glow plugs there.

Pipes, yes the ERCM pipe is super loud and i hear ya on the not wanting to piss the neighbors off. I have the dynamite 086 and 053 pipes and i enjoy them. Yes they are quietier but i haven run the OFNA pipe so i cant tell ya. I would listen to Tib on the two pipes.
I love my ERCM tho!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

HAHA my LHS says that axials are awesome motors too. Also the store manager told me that they dont make 4 shoe clutch systems. The only thing i go into my store for is fuel i dont even buy my glow plugs there.

Pipes, yes the ERCM pipe is super loud and i hear ya on the not wanting to piss the neighbors off. I have the dynamite 086 and 053 pipes and i enjoy them. Yes they are quietier but i haven run the OFNA pipe so i cant tell ya. I would listen to Tib on the two pipes.
I love my ERCM tho!

ERCM is the way to go IMO..... however if i were looking for a 086 I would choose the OFNA over the Dynamite...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
sparky 25

Have you ever ran a werks 086 pipe?

wonder how they are compared with the ofna 086

Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
steed2-inactive

i wish i had known that i would have ordered the ofna pipe. but i must say the lrp, w/dynamite 086 has been running flawlessly
Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

Get an ERCM endbleed pipe
Seconded. The ERCM pipe has superior divergent and convergent cone geometry to everything else on the market, and with the proper header length, can be set up to work well with any of the popular big block nitro engines.