Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Just my luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just my luck

Took my savage X out today to the local high school. Anyways after about 2 tanks Istopped and shut it down for a minute and noticed when Ipull it backwards the spur gear binds. Ihad the mesh set perfect before Istarted but now it just binds up real bad. Looks like all the teeth are still on the spur gear and clutch bell so is it the bearings ? Also I Have been monitoring the temps lately and Inoticed that today running it in the grass field the temp shot up to about 290 to about 300 at times. I the book states that 250 is the max but Ilearned days ago that that is a very modest guideline. The car ran fine though it was smokin at high speed and throttle response was great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Just my luck

Your motor could have shifted and is binding up against the spur.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

although 300 is a bit high remember that running on tall grass is much harded on your mill than just running around on the street... a lot more stress from the grass to move theses heavy trucks.. remember that you not only tune to the temp and many other things outside but to the area in wich your running, grass, street ect...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iwas kinda worried about 300 myself But Ithink Ihad richened it as much as Icould. It had a nice trail of blue smoke as high speeds. From what Iwas gathering though it only hit 300 after a WOTpass through the grass. Then it would go back down to 275-280. Could it maby be the glow plug Iam using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

High temps in the grass is normal.  More strain on the engine = higher temps.  I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it starts to creep to the mid 300's.  Even on grass mid 300's is high.
    Savage FLM ext X LRP .30 Mid Tanked 250cc
    Revo New Era BB Conversion, awaiting Mill
    Brushless Thunder Tiger ST-1 150A on 5s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you plan on running more in the grass as opposed to dirt/street you could put a smaller clutch bell and/or a bigger spur. This would help with the temps although you'll lose some top-end.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Your motor could have shifted and is binding up against the spur.
    Indeed, simply reset the mesh and make sure to tighten the bolts good and use loctite.
    - MMA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Itook my engine out today and once Igot it out Inoticed the truck would not roll backwards nor forwards. So Itook the tranny apart and this is what Ifound. Ihavent messed around much in the tranny before so Iam not sure which gear this is but as you can see one of them is gone. Is this something HPIwould warranty? Dont really matter Iguess but Iwould rather them send me a new one than fork out the cash for it. And is there a steel gear Ican upgrade this to so it wont happen again, just a thought well here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74762.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1642119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96845.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	1642120  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They may...wouldn't hurt to try.  They historically have a fairly generous customer service and replacement reputation.
    Savage FLM ext X LRP .30 Mid Tanked 250cc
    Revo New Era BB Conversion, awaiting Mill
    Brushless Thunder Tiger ST-1 150A on 5s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Normally the 2 speed tranny holds up quite well compared to the 3 speed. You ask if there is a metal gear for it? The only answer i can give you is you can make an all metal 3 speed tranny. the thread below is a step by step on how to do it. Honestly IMO i think you would be alot happier with the all metal 3 speed than a stock two speed. The parts to make the new tranny arent that much. If HPI warrenties the tranny then cool, if not i suggest modding your tranny. My all metal tranny has about a half gallon thru it now and takes a mean punishin[>:]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm
    ERCM Picco/ Endbleed power should be the only combo allowed in a Savage.