Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Delrin Gears? Need experienced users!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
WarCowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delrin Gears? Need experienced users!

I have been looking at gears for the Savage and I have always used Robinson Racing spurs on all the savages I have went through and never had an issue.
Unfortunately I have found that RR doesn't make them for the Savage anymore and have seen that a few companies are now offering delrin gear sets for the Savage line.
With all that being said, I know that delrin is a self lubricating plastic yadayada, and that it is very strong for a lot of applications, however I don't know if it's strong enough to be a replacement for the metal gears in the savage in particular.

So my question is... Has anyone tried them and if so, what was the experience with it vs metal? Does the heat from the clutch affect them like normal plastics?
And what about the rest of the trans gears?

I am hoping they are strong enough to hold up, as I can see it would yield a significant weight reduction and rid some of the "parasitic loss" associated with heavy rotational drive trains in mind. Also it would probably get rid of some of the clunk slop from the deal.

Thoughts....?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Delrin Gears? Need experienced users!

Do you have a link to the gears?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
WarCowboy

They are images from random websites, but the same sets can be found on Ebay for way less than you can get them from any hobby shops or online retailers.
Just go to Ebay and type " Delrin Savage " and it will bring up all sorts of these things.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 AM
WarCowboy

So no one has any experience with these things? If not I guess I will be making a review, cause if no one has anything negative to say about them then I figure its worth a shot to find out for myself.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
dexterd

delrin is a much stronger plastic. i expect them to be great gears, although i haven't tried one yet
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
WarCowboy

Well I plan to take the plunge and post a review at some point in the future. I can see an issue possibly arising with the spur gear, considering constant heat fluctuation emitted via the clutch bell, but I can't think of any reason that the internal gear box gears should ever need something more than these if the material is of high quality stock.
We'll see...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
-SomeGuy-

I've tried them once. Got 2 of em and they didnt last one tank each, probably not even 1 tank combined. When they went there was a fine white dust all over the tranny and surrounding parts like they just vaporised.

I would suggest you just get the HPI steel set, they work well and are pretty cheap.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM
WarCowboy

Well thats bad news. I was hoping for better reviews. I don't understand how they just vaporized either. Delrin is usually stronger than other composites, but I have experience with it under loads.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Team GxG

I have stripped out countless plastic spur gears on my X4.6 (not sure if they were delrin), and I would not recommend using anything other than metal gears. Delrin would be great on a rock crawler because of the low levels of stress on individual gears, not to mention keeping the weight down.

TL,DR: stay away from plastic gears on a savage