Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Identifying the savage !

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 AM
ReaDyToRooL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying the savage !

can any PLz tell me which savage is this ?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 AM
djyjrlz

Default RE: Identifying the savage !

possibly an ss 4.6 with a new engine and wheels + tyres. but it is 100% an older style 21-25 chassis.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM
llkoolskillet

Savage 21 or 25, the TVPs and bat box are give aways. The motor is probably the F4.1. Either way it still a savage hehe
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
ReaDyToRooL

i want to convert it in to BL XL , will  HPI-Savage-XL-Chassis-Conversion-Set work with with out any issues ??
http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=100413
plus
Integy Brushless Conv Motor Mount
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Integy-B...item5ae2ba3065

dose it sounds Practical ???

Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 AM
ReaDyToRooL

Here is another View of it

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ReaDyToRooL

i want to convert it in to BL XL , will HPI-Savage-XL-Chassis-Conversion-Set work with with out any issues ??
plus

your only issue will be the drivetrain and you'll pretty much need the bullet proof diffs and bigger dog bones... so it may work out to be cheaper to buy a new savage...

the lug
Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

i want to convert it in to BL XL , will HPI-Savage-XL-Chassis-Conversion-Set work with with out any issues ??
plus

your only issue will be the drivetrain and you'll pretty much need the bullet proof diffs and bigger dog bones... so it may work out to be cheaper to buy a new savage...

the lug
what he said.
after all is said and done you will probably be at the price in parts alone(not counting the xl TVP's) of a Savage Flux 2350.
to make it XL length get this http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-XL-Ch...e-p-17948.html $50 USD (well they have the plates in all colors that particular one is blue, and was the 1st to pop up on the search) and get HPI #86054
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Looks like an original Savage 25 with aftermarket wheels, tires and muffler.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Looks like an original Savage 25 with aftermarket wheels, tires and muffler.
That is what I was going to say..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 AM
ReaDyToRooL

it belongs to my friend , and he is giving it to FOR 120$ , so should i get it , coz i dont have a savage yet and i m dieing to get 1 !
Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

if you're going to convert i'd get a new 2350 or HP both have 2.4 radio's, quality speed controls and motors, and are good to go out of the box, the $2350 is about $500... vs that savage for $120+ $50 for motor plates+ $25 for the motor plate, $200-300 for the motor and esc, + $35*2 new diffs w/bulkheads geussing on this one cuz i can't find them on ebay, but flux spec dog bones $40 +$20 (battery box's), if you get a $200 esc and motor you're looking at about $525 based on those prices quickly pulled from ebay...

i would say if you're going to keep it nitro buy it, if not it's not worth the time or $ to upgrade
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 AM
ReaDyToRooL

the thing is i m  not willing to convert it to FLUX , just simple BL , or for time being just extend the length by  hpi xl conversion !
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

the thing is i m not willing to convert it to FLUX , just simple BL , or for time being just extend the length by hpi xl conversion !
Well to be fair FLUX is just the BL form of the savage. Flux just refers to what HP calls the BL setup they have in it
There is no such thing as simple BL when dealing with a truck as heavy as the savage, and how much stress is put on the parts from the mildest of BL setups.
Would like to know what you are planning on moving it with though...

Trust me when I say this I did what you are planning. Honestly if HPI brought the 2350 out 3 months sooner I would have saved a good chunk of change, and not had as many headaches as I did converting my .21 to BL.
Here is the issues/cost you will face
one is the BL motor, and ESC. The CHEAPEST setup to move a truck as heavy as a savage I would recommend is $220 for the HW 150A ESC, and 2000kv motor(I have one in mine, I actually like it more than the 2200kv/mm setup CC sells for more).
so you are now at $340
you will need a $7 idler gear (ok this is literally the cheap part)
you will need the motor mount plate most are $50-100 for the conversions (but seeing you want it XL length you will need the HPI motor mount plate, and mount)
$397 (low end guess)
you will need battery box's $10(if you make your own)-30 a piece + mounting hardware
I'll go middle and say $25 a piece with mounting hardware $447
the Diffs will get destroyed due to the torque the motor puts out. $90 for 2 (last I ordered them they might be more now) Plus the diff casings were changed, and will not mount up to the newer plates properly so those would have to be changed even if you kept the same internal diff.

so were at $537
dogbones $20 the .25's will twist up FAST. I snapped a .21 dog bone after 15 mins on the conversion I did, and every other one was twisted bad.
Drive cups $15.
Radio $20-100 AM's will get interference from the BL setup

so were at $592 in parts at the EXTREME LOW END in parts (which include parts you will be fabbing up yourself like the mounts for battery box's, and ESC mount) that are needed or will be replaced after a few minutes of running it not counting shipping which will be at least $50-70 due to having to order the parts from multiple ebay chop-shops. (Remember the HP is only $639, and the 2350 is $530) Also didn't count the XL TVP's. That estimate is using the current TVP's you have

In the end here are the parts that will still be the same
The arms, the radio box, shocks, bumpers I'm being serious BTW.
A conversion will nickle and dime you to death slowly, and be more frustrating than fun unless sitting, and waiting for one part to come just to destroy the next in 2 minutes is fun to you. It will also in the end cost you way more than the complete product within the 1st few months.

as RClugnut said if you want a nitro its a good price if not just buy it already in BL form.

BTW just to show I did it heres pics of my BL savage in all its forms from when I got it to what it ended up as with almost $600 in parts into it. the 2nd one had a lot of custom made parts, that didn't perform as well as I would have liked the motor was also a royal PITA to change the mesh(literally took 2 hours to get the mesh proper...), and cost me a bundle to make...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87250.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1672740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59119.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1672741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37601.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1672742  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 AM
ReaDyToRooL

Hmmm interesting!!
well 1 thing i forgot to tell , i already have a 2000kv BL motor and 150A esc from my totaled Inferno,5000mah 4s lipo , also futaba 3pl 2.4ghz radio system,
what was in my mind that , buy it for 120$ and HPi xl conversion kit that came with long rear centre drive shaft 65$ and integy bl conversion motor mount 25$ , and just add the BL motor to it , i didnt know that how much i have to change just to add a BL motor ,
so i think , i,ll get it add the length and forget about BL conversion for time being ,
by the way what do u think about HPI flux
conversion kit ? http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102534/
Old 10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Hmmm interesting!!
well 1 thing i forgot to tell , i already have a 2000kv BL motor and 150A esc from my totaled Inferno,5000mah 4s lipo , also futaba 3pl 2.4ghz radio system,
what was in my mind that , buy it for 120$ and HPi xl conversion kit that came with long rear centre drive shaft 65$ and integy bl conversion motor mount 25$ , and just add the BL motor to it , i didnt know that how much i have to change just to add a BL motor ,
so i think , i,ll get it add the length and forget about BL conversion for time being ,
by the way what do u think about HPI flux
conversion kit ? http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102534/
its worth $140ish if you buy the parts individually

ok you have the motor and ESC ok that will bring it down drastically seen a few people when they say mild they are trying to run a 15lb truck on a HW 35A ESC and wondering why ppl say they will need a fire extinguisher on hand

Front, and rear BP difs are around $95 shipped if you get it from plcman on ebay (he also includes the drive shaft cups, out drives, casing, and shock towers to bring your costs down some) it took me a week of checking every 5 hours to get them off him. One time he put 6 up I hit buy it now and by the time I hit the confirmation he was sold out...
driveshafts (I dunno gotta look it up) there like $11-15 generally
the one tranny gear is $7 (can get the part # later)
the cups for the tranny, and axels, and dogbones

the HPI motor mount you will have to machine some off. It is literally designed to only fit HPI motors. I had to use a dremel and a few grinding bits(yes a few I broke a few) along with 2-3 hours of non stop grinding.

http://204.186.93.64/SavageBrushlessConversion.htm might be a better option if you want a bolt on. Supposedly only 1 hole needs to be drilled in the chassis

As for that integy one read a few places and no one seemed to recommend it. Most said it was typical integy junk.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
ReaDyToRooL

Thanks  A lot guy , my mind is clear now, i came to a conclusion that , i will use this as a nitro truck ( EVEN THOUGH I HATE NITRO RC CARS ) , and will do a BL conversion on MAD FORCE .
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
ReaDyToRooL

seriously if i have to go through all that and spend that much , its much better to buy RTR SAVAGE FLUX !!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take your Savage 25....
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

seriously if i have to go through all that and spend that much , its much better to buy RTR SAVAGE FLUX !!
pretty much or look for a flux roller seeing you have the electronics. See a new one on ebay for $330 which is about what a conversion woulda cost
the savage is one of the few trucks that I have converted that was not an easy conversion due to the TVP's and limited room.(I'll say it was the hardest, and most expensive of the 7 or so I did)
Truggies, and buggies are usually easier, cheaper, and cleaner conversions.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM
cholet

What you have is the Savage X 4.6. The Savage XL is longer and has a bigger engine. the other Savages have electric motors.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 AM
ReaDyToRooL

ORIGINAL: cholet

What you have is the Savage X 4.6. The Savage XL is longer and has a bigger engine. the other Savages have electric motors.
This savage has already been IDENTIFIED as SAVAGE 25

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM
fxrs

If those are the stock wheels it came with it is more than likely a savage LE with the factory 3 speed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31396.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1673963  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: fxrs

If those are the stock wheels it came with it is more than likely a savage LE with the factory 3 speed.
Yep, I'd say you're right. Savage 25 LE.