Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

picco .28 p3 in a savage xl

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
zazza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco .28 p3 in a savage xl

hi,

i'm fitting a picco .28 in a friend savage xl.....any threads i sshould follow to guide me please??

i'm no expert but need also some advise on breaking her in and tuning!!!

thanks!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
chevymanmike1010
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: picco .28 p3 in a savage xl

Everyone has there own way but i do two idle tanks, one 1/4 throttle, one half throtle an then full throttle, then tuning. Allowing to cool between tanks!!! Its a good strong engine! You'll enjoy the Awesome top end!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 PM
zazza

thanks chevyman

any threads i should follow!!

i like to be informed before messing with it,,,,,,,,,,, it's for a close friend of mine and i wish to make a good job....
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 AM
-SomeGuy-

Many many threads covering this.

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....hwhere=subject
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM
zazza

Thanks -SomeGuy- ......

i'll go through them to get some general knowledge... [8D] 
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I heat cycle all my engines when breaking them in.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
BudBud

^^Good advice^^ You need heat to properly break it in. Running them cold does no good the first time they get hot....
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
zazza

i'm closing the deal for the picco .28 p3 and in the package i'm being offered the JP-2 JAMMIN INLINE PIPE HARD ANODIZED...

This time I'm going to fit this in my savage xl with the standard pipe.....

Is this pipe worth getting over the hpi stock one??? Will it make any difference??
(65usd)

please help me out cause i new and eager to get some decent power to bash around!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
djyjrlz

that will offer a world of improvement over the stock pipe, lots more top end and bottom end grunt. worth the cash
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
zazza

Hi Guys,

What's the expected life time of this engine???

My friend's is drinking nitro like crazy.......... we manged to get haf a gallon through it in a weekend, bashing around!!!

is this normal!!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
llkoolskillet

My first picco has 9.5 gallons thru it. With a proper break in they will last a good long time. Now when you start getting in the 4-5 gallon range it would be a good idea to change the bearings and conn rod. If you dont you will start to over compress the motor and you will be going thru glow plugs like crazy. After that the motor if well taken care of should last to 20 gallons. But if you make it to 10 gallons you got all your monies worth

Remember when your done running for the day pull the fuel line and run the motor completely free of fuel (just let it idle dont drive) and store the motors piston at BDC, make sure the piston is at the bottom of the sleeve. This is what keeps the pinch tight and the motor last longer.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM
zazza

i've been reading a lot and managed to break in the .28 picco properly. Now i'm having some tuning problems... i think!! 
i'm new to this stuff so please bear with me if i sound stupid :-)!!

I tuned the low needle by the pinch test and the high needle just right so that the engine temp is within range after a WOT run!
the thing is that when i stop a bit on idle, it just stalls when i open the throttle!! if i clear it up slowly it runs fast but the story repeats it self once i stop again!!  

What plug you recommend, cold or medium? I'm running a cold plug r9 my lhs suggested to try a medium one!!
 I have also a short fuel & pressure line.....whats the ideal length??

My picco .28 is fitted with a pull start, is it normal to be very hard to pull at times?? its like that, when it stops, the engine recoils it too tight. The engine piston would be at the top making it hard on the pull start to bring it to the safe BDC....

already snapped the line twice!!

Sorry if this is too much but i'm eager to get the most of my engine and manage to see some wheelies on this xl!!!

thanks john

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zazza

i've been reading a lot and managed to break in the .28 picco properly. Now i'm having some tuning problems... i think!!
i'm new to this stuff so please bear with me if i sound stupid :-)!!

I tuned the low needle by the pinch test and the high needle just right so that the engine temp is within range after a WOT run!
the thing is that when i stop a bit on idle, it just stalls when i open the throttle!! if i clear it up slowly it runs fast but the story repeats it self once i stop again!!

What plug you recommend, cold or medium? I'm running a cold plug r9 my lhs suggested to try a medium one!!
I have also a short fuel & pressure line.....whats the ideal length??

My picco .28 is fitted with a pull start, is it normal to be very hard to pull at times?? its like that, when it stops, the engine recoils it too tight. The engine piston would be at the top making it hard on the pull start to bring it to the safe BDC....

already snapped the line twice!!

Sorry if this is too much but i'm eager to get the most of my engine and manage to see some wheelies on this xl!!!

thanks john

How do you know you broke it in properly ? by the sounds of it your engine is still too tight, so its likely not broken in.....

what fuel do you run ?

how did you break it in ?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
zazza

oops...do youthingi messed up?
i'm runing on optimix 20, r5 glow plug........my LHS suggest to switch for an OS medium no 8, after breaking in!!!
I tried to break it in with the heat cycle method!! I even fitted a thermocouple logger to monitor the temp :-0
Wrappedthehead in insulation foam and brought the temp up to 90degC or 200 F.
Kept running at alternating speeds for 2minutecycles monitoring the temp so not to go over 110 dec C or 230 as per factory recommendation by richining the mixture.
i went through half a gallon with 4 x 2minutecycles and 4 x 3minutecycles. Leaving the temp to drop down under 40deg C or 100F between eachcycle.
Then i tried tuning....
LSN by the pinch test and HSN by monitoring the temp!!
What do you think.....did i ruined it or i'm still on the right track!!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
zazza

do i try to repeat the break in process??

any idea on the needle settings i should use for breaking it??
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zazza

oops...do you thing i messed up?
i'm runing on optimix 20, r5 glow plug........my LHS suggest to switch for an OS medium no 8, after breaking in!!!
I tried to break it in with the heat cycle method!! I even fitted a thermocouple logger to monitor the temp :-0
Wrapped the head in insulation foam and brought the temp up to 90degC or 200 F.
Kept running at alternating speeds for 2 minute cycles monitoring the temp so not to go over 110 dec C or 230 as per factory recommendation by richining the mixture.
i went through half a gallon with 4 x 2 minute cycles and 4 x 3 minute cycles. Leaving the temp to drop down under 40deg C or 100F between each cycle.
Then i tried tuning....
LSN by the pinch test and HSN by monitoring the temp!!
What do you think.....did i ruined it or i'm still on the right track!!

Okay..heres my take...the whole heat cycling thing is a bunch of malarky...it does nothing but ruin your OWB and kill the connecting rod and bearings........ Chances are good that engine is is nowhere near broken in yet....... BAsically a Picco 28 does not breakin for about 1.5 gallons...till then it will be cranky and hard to start....... best bet is to get it running and keep it running as much as possible, it will only loosen up and nreakin by using it.....little 2 minute intervals do nothing towards breaking in the piston/sleeve...all it does it cause you to kill your pullstarter and your engine......
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
llkoolskillet

I can agree with supertib. My new picco took 2gallons to start waking up and to be honest its got a little bit more before fully broke in. That being said do what tib said to do and just run the motor. Dont let it shut off if you have it running. Run tank after tank after tank. Keep the temps in check. and honestly Dont let them get above 250f. Personally i wouldnt let them get above 220f until after you ran a full gallon thru it. I believe the McCoy #8 is the same as the OS #8 so yes use that after break in. Right now use the McCoy 59 or what ever the OS version is for a Hot Plug.

Haha my first picco took 4 gallons to wake up and I went thru 3 OWBs and so many pullstarts, If I knew what Neil and Robin have told me now, then, It would have saved me so many headaches!

Oh dont start performance tuning until you can turn the flywheel over by hand and its not super tight. That means your motor is ready for tuning. Until then just keep the temps in check and have plenty of smoke
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, sounds to me like you're doing fine. Just run more fuel through it with slightly rich settings, and remember to set the piston to its lowest possible position as soon as the engine stops, and make sure it's at that position while it cools.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
zazza

Thanks guys.......guess i wasn't that far off then. I'll richen the mixture so that i'll be more safe.

What about the fuel & pressure lines.....mine are bit short!! What's the ideal length!!

thanks again,
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
llkoolskillet

short is best
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If it dies after idling unless you feather it, your LSN needs to be leaned some because it's loading up.

Sounds like you may be lean on the HSN and rich on the LSN.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
-SomeGuy-

When you adjust the LSN keep in mind you need to re-adjust the idle.

As for the break in, just keep using it as is and forget about how much fuel goes through. Once its fully broken in you'll know, you cant miss it .
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 AM
zazza

your help is great guys...thanks

i will let you know in a gallon
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 AM
zazza

another newbie question....

my picco 28 p3 is equipped with a pull start. Every time i stop it's like stuck at the TDC  is that normal??

my friends is with roto-start and it's always stops free at BDC position!!

A think i notice is that when it stops the pull start sort of retracts and if you try to turn the engine backwards it will be pulling on the pull start!!
The only thinks that works is to make some pressure on the flywheel and crank it to the next cycle.........if it happens to go over my BDC mark, i have to repeat and turn it another cycle!!!

is this normal or it's because i'm still at breaking in??
Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM
sparky 25

This is normal on a picco,

My Schumacher picco 28 turbo head engine was doing this every time I stopped it,

These engines take a lot of run time to loosen up some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.