Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Like the title says, its been some time since I've posted. Anyways I'm getting back in the game and I need your help!

The last time I ran my truck was this past august, I handed my younger cousin the controller and let him have it. Unfortunately by the time we were done- the truck had 2 broken suspension arms, broken fuel tank mounts, and the roto start adapter fell off the back plate on my Picco .28 haha. I tore the truck apart today and found that I cracked yet another engine mounting plate. Thats the 4th one I've broken on this truck (2 FLM ones and 2 HPI). I've been running FLM LCG stock length TVPs for years now, and while I've never bent the actual TVPs- the engine mounting plates have been crap. Also the chassis plate on the exhaust side has melted a bit from the header .

Anyways, I want to get rid of the FLM crap and I figure I might as well give my truck that I've had since '03, put over 18 gallons on with 4 different engines (stock was sold after 3.5 gallons, 1 was a buddy's LRP .30, one was an STS .30 I modded that exploded at 10 gallons, and my current Picco .28)- a little freshening up. Since I've been out of the game for a little while, I want your advice on what parts to buy. Also the foams on both sets of my tires have disintegrated- I'd like a good set of firm foams to replace em with, I might as well buy new wheels cause the HPI warlocks are pretty beat up- suggestions? For the engine, I guess I'll look for a new back plate.

The things I mainly want- Mid tank conversion, whatever chassis I get has to be LCG. I remember a few years ago people praised Innovative- RC out in the UK- but they're pretty expensive, maybe there are other options?

Here are pics of what everything looks like as of tonight, I made a notch in the engine plate to clear the diff outdrive cause it would rub otherwise. The crack between the notch and screw hole:

Somehow the 3 screw holes that hold the roto start adapter on have become stripped, I'll see if I can tap em before buying a new plate

Foam is dead [&:]

One of the old FLM plates:

Another pic:

In its current state...

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
quietnas1

Default RE: Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Holy cow age looks a little ruff. What do you need help with exactly?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead
Since I've been out of the game for a little while, I want your advice on what parts to buy. Also the foams on both sets of my tires have disintegrated- I'd like a good set of firm foams to replace em with, I might as well buy new wheels cause the HPI warlocks are pretty beat up- suggestions? For the engine, I guess I'll look for a new back plate.

The things I mainly want- Mid tank conversion, whatever chassis I get has to be LCG. I remember a few years ago people praised Innovative- RC out in the UK- but they're pretty expensive, maybe there are other options?

Looking for a new/ different chassis setup- whats out there thats good quality? Needs to be LCG and have the provisions for a mid tank setup. Need new foams, I'm guessing I'll just go proline? Never bought foams individually so I don't know of the quality.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Marco810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these guys sell midtank plates and tvp's, all carbon fiber too [8D]

www.platinumrcproducts.com/products.html

Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
llkoolskillet

If you have the means you can make your own custom set of TVPs. I just finished mine for my XL, gettin powder coated black on thurday.
By all means take some ideas from mine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11171.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	1683740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13792.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1683741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33379.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1683742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37216.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1683743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20838.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1683744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10025.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1683745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh82144.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1683746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd12924.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1683747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca52431.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1683748  
Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
-SomeGuy-

I always thought innovative rc was underrated. I bought from them and was very pleased and I never heard any complaints about them. FLM on the other hand is almost as bad as integy at this point.

Innovative RC has what you need in an LCG kit as well as a mid tank kit. Next truck I rebuild will be with their stuff, the black anodized set looks really nice, dont know if it works with the mid tank kit though.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Innovative RC has what you need in an LCG kit as well as a mid tank kit. Next truck I rebuild will be with their stuff, the black anodized set looks really nice, dont know if it works with the mid tank kit though.
You can always get the Innovative kit and make it work with a mid tank.... MODIFY hehe.

Also Ive heard from quite a few guys that Innovative parts are hard to get, they guy takes a while to ship
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
rcnitrohead

I've had quite a bit of CF parts on my truck and I'll do my best to stay away, CF is relatively brittle and so far with all the parts I've had- it hasn't held up to my abuse.

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

If you have the means you can make your own custom set of TVPs. I just finished mine for my XL, gettin powder coated black on thurday.
By all means take some ideas from mine!
Nice work! I have access to a CNC and have experience designing and machining my own parts- but between a full schedule at school, working on my Fiero, and also other projects... I just want to buy some quality parts [8D].

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

I always thought innovative rc was underrated. I bought from them and was very pleased and I never heard any complaints about them. FLM on the other hand is almost as bad as integy at this point.

Someguy! Good to see you're still around, I still remember the badass truck either you or your buddy had. The one with the Tsais dual exhaust, it was definitely a cool piece. Agreed the black set looks awesome. Problem is- they're out of stock on their mid tank kits. FLM really is a joke, too bad.

http://www.innovative-rc.com/innovat...a4e3489befb6f4

Their LCG 6mm front extended black anodized chassis + midtank kit will run over $160 before shipping [:-]

I wish Chronic was still around if any of the old timers remember him, he machined awesome TVPs out of 7075 T6 at an amazing price.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
llkoolskillet

Cost me $36 to make mine. Used a circular saw, drill press, dremel, and hand files!

If you have access to a machine then by all means make them yourself. Its cheaper and you have the satisfaction. I bet by the time you find what you like and order the TVPs you could have made a set for yourself
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Hows it going nitrohead? Long time, no speak

Glad to see you are gonna be around here again. Im fixing to do a little revamp of my savage, possibly on my christmas break (boss gives me 2 weeks off ), so im anxious to freshen it up a little and run it some. Keep us updated with pictures [8D]

Eric
Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Hows it going nitrohead? Long time, no speak

Glad to see you are gonna be around here again. Im fixing to do a little revamp of my savage, possibly on my christmas break (boss gives me 2 weeks off ), so im anxious to freshen it up a little and run it some. Keep us updated with pictures [8D]

Eric
Hey man, you got that right! Cool sounds good, you still running that Axial? I dunno what I'm gonna do, right now I'm leaning towards getting a stock Savage X chassis and just fabricating a mid tank setup for that. I'm just not in the position to be machining a custom set of plates- and I can't justify spending almost $200 on a new chassis when I'm trying to save $$$ for an engine swap for my car lol.

I just really want to have this thing running when the snow hits, last year was the first time I didn't run it when we had snow and its my favorite time of year to burn nitro
Old 11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
rcnitrohead

Well today I wrote FLM asking if they'd be willing to machine me an engine plate out of 7075 T6- we'll see. If not I'll just get another replacement for now until I can find the time to machine my own chassis.

I also placed an order with stormer hobbies for 2 sets of panther green molded foams (dirt cheap @ $3 for a set of 4- they're firmer than stock which is what I'm looking for). Also bought a set of Axial black chrome 5 spoke retro wheels- impulse buy but I thought they look SWEET. Hopefully the chrome holds up.

Still need:

Picco back plate
Mid tank setup

Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead
Hey man, you got that right! Cool sounds good, you still running that Axial? I dunno what I'm gonna do, right now I'm leaning towards getting a stock Savage X chassis and just fabricating a mid tank setup for that. I'm just not in the position to be machining a custom set of plates- and I can't justify spending almost $200 on a new chassis when I'm trying to save $$$ for an engine swap for my car lol.

I just really want to have this thing running when the snow hits, last year was the first time I didn't run it when we had snow and its my favorite time of year to burn nitro
I do still have the axial in the savage. Im thinking about throwing my Collari .30 in it soon though. Its a pretty good running engine, and probably about the same power as a Mach .26 or something. It has very little use on it, and the axial is getting some age on it. The axial still has lots of compression, but it seems to be a little finicky to tune compared to how it used to be. I may work on it some once i get it out of the truck. I bet it still has a few gallons left in it though. Im thinking about putting the savage X plates on my truck, to lower the COG some, but dont really wanna go xl size with it.

Is there any way you could double up 2 stock engine braces for more strength? It would take some modding, but may work out pretty well in the long run.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
rcnitrohead

Heh go for it, I've never seen a Collari .30 run in person but they seem like decent engines- pretty expensive if I remember correctly. Yeah I hear ya, personally I like the older style trucks better- more proportional IMO. If you mean on the FLM plate- then its no possible cause theres actually no brace for the rear facing part of the plate- just 2 stub mounts. On The stock setup the cracks are occurring on the rear lip where I ground off the notch to clear the diff outdrive- I'd imagine its making contact with the diff outdrive whenever theres an impact on the engine and thats the reason for the crack. I could enlarge the notch, but its already close to the engine mounting surface and the plate is only 2.5mm thick- its asking for trouble.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
cummins driver

I really can't believe I haven't cracked my stock engine plate. I have flipped that thing on the head so many times but still haven't bent the Plate. Lol. Yeah the collari was a high dollar engine in its day. Italian built. I bought it 2nd hand for 35 bucks but I don't think it had ever been run. I ran a break in on it and it has good throttle response, idles great and has pretty decent Power. Can't complain for the mOney.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM
llkoolskillet

I got a collari 32 in a savage i bought off ebay and the thing made gobs of power. Its no picco or LRP 30 but sure threw an XL around with no problems. I would imagine that the 30 would be just as fun.

I have heard nothing but negativity about the collari. I believe there made by Werks and it was there attempt at a high end motor. GOOD LUCK finding spare parts.

Mine 2 was second hand and i loved it. Now a guy in the UK has it and i havent heard anything bad from him about it.

Note* 7075 T6 is more brittle than 6061 T6. When I say this im talking about its malubility (ability to bend or flexability). 7075 is harder than 6061 but it breaks very easily when bent. Now from my experiance with aircraft metal. When i have to make a repair using 7075 and you have to make a slight bend or put a joggle in it. Make sure the grain is running diangle to the bend. This will allow you to bend the metal. SO, i would ask FLM to make the plate out it where as the grain runs diangle instand of fore and aft. I bring this up because everything on the savage flexes. This will make the plate stronger. That way it will allow the plate to flex without breaking.

I know I know sounds crazy but it just works. I didnt believe it until i saw a guy bend a piece of 7075 T6 in half and it didnt break!
Personnally I would go with 6061 T6 (cheaper than 7075) and ask them for at least a 3mm thick plate. Im thinkin about makin a new motor plate out of .160" that i made my TVPs from.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
rcnitrohead

Ha for that price you can't go wrong Eric! I thought I got a good deal when I got my Picco .28 with an Ofna 086 piple, clutch/ bell basically drop in with under 2 gallons on it for $125 shipped. You have me beat by a mile! So far, I gotta say the best value for my $$$ I've had in this hobby has been the STS .30. 10 gallons of abuse, and IMO the best powerband of any engine I've run- it would definitely run with my Picco .28, thought the .28 has it beat on low end torque for sure.

skillet-

The FLM plate is actually 3mm thick. It can't be made any larger in FLM's application cause theres almost no clearance for the diff outdrive. The whole point of me requesting it be machined out of 7075 was so they can keep their existing design while giving me a higher grade of alum. I'm too lazy to look into my handbook with material stats, but I'm not too worried about the 7075 breaking, I fully anticipate it to bend before it cracks.

I dunno why FLM continues to pump out their crappy parts like this. The design is alright, the engine plate could definitely stand to be beefed up- but I for one would gladly pay $15 more for a chassis set if it was made out of 7075.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 PM
noobie974

this anygood?
http://2008.neweramodels.com/index.c...HPI&model=1064

Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 AM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: noobie974

this anygood?
http://2008.neweramodels.com/index.c...HPI&model=1064

I'm not sure if that'd fit between the FLM plates cause of those tabs on the sides. Regardless I'm not even going to experiment right now, I just want this truck running when the snow hits [>:]
Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 AM
llkoolskillet

I can agree with that, and $15 isnt much when compared to how much things really can cost with these trucks.

I hope things work out and look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

I can agree with that, and $15 isnt much when compared to how much things really can cost with these trucks.

I hope things work out and look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Oh absolutely, I just want the truck running right now. Later on I'll just make my own chassis I just don't have the time. My 1:1 car+ school take up most of my time lol. Thanks, I'm really curious of how these Axial wheels will hold up.

FLM hasn't responded yet.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM
rcnitrohead

FLM's reply:

We machined a few solid plates awhile back and may have one around still. However that engine plate received and update around the first of the year.

Not sure what that means LOL.. I'm guessing this is a design that came before the "spider hole" plates they make now.

I got my Axial wheels and Panther foams today, the wheels are sweet! The foams are pretty huge, they'll definitely need trimming for my on road tires. Still gotta track down a Picco back plate and place an order with FLM for the different style engine plate as well as a midtank setup.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
rcnitrohead

I got my FLM goodies last night, the engine plate is a solid unit as promised. I'll throw up some pics when I find my camera.

I still have to order the Picco 28 backplate, I gotta get off my ass and get the truck ready for the first snow.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
rcnitrohead

Pics as promised:

[/URL]

[/URL]

With exams and working on my real car, I won't have time to mess with the truck for another week. The plate appears to be the standard FLM thickness, just a solid type. It should definitely increase strength by at least 25%, hopefully it won't turn into a pretzel like the ones before it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The TVP chassis I run HPI does not make anymore but it is not a mid tank set up but motor transmission and so on set about 1/4 inch lower then on the X. Other then CF is the lightest chassis I know of.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.