Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New HPI 1/8 Gassers

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Tuning a nitro isn't hard. Tuning a POS one is, but generally, no - they're really not that big a deal.

What bugs me most about nitro is gallon-long break-ins (on most non-SH engines anyway..), and fuel being €45 a gallon.

I've yet to see a 5th scale gasser though that sounded remotely cool. Plus 5th scale RC's cost $1,000, with $100 bodies, etc.. 8th scale is just right for me.. And I'd sacrifice the coolness of the nitro sound for gas if performance is good and the price is OK. Tuning is not high on my list of concerns anyway..
    you forget the set of tires on the 5th scales that cost more than the set of tires on my 1998 monte carlo

But YES they strapped it to a standard savage X so we can all just get the engine, and putter on our merry way
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/5th scale gassers sound like anoying weed eaters not like dirt bikes. Yes I have one. Having a gas car is dirty, smelly, and the performance sucks in camparasin to electric or nitro........Can't bring it in the house or the whole house will smell of GAS, what is it your all finding good about this? So what if the fuel is cheep, do you all run through 20 gallons of nitro a year? I guess I am opinionated because my experiance with 1/5th scale cars has been dull as a butter knife, lame as running a riding lawn mower with a remote. [:'(]

Somebody say something that will make me see the light.............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont think this is real. Too many things look wrong in the pictures.

Also, alot of things seen at that show have never been released.

I highly doubt this will be released.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

1/5th scale gassers sound like anoying weed eaters not like dirt bikes. Yes I have one. Having a gas car is dirty, smelly, and the performance sucks in camparasin to electric or nitro........Can't bring it in the house or the whole house will smell of GAS, what is it your all finding good about this? So what if the fuel is cheep, do you all run through 20 gallons of nitro a year? I guess I am opinionated because my experiance with 1/5th scale cars has been dull as a butter knife, lame as running a riding lawn mower with a remote. [:'(]

I get my fifth scales on a track and there is also a good group of guys to bash with locally here. They are a blast. If you are running your 1/5 scale in a circle in a field over and over by yourself I could see how it gets old. It's what you make of it. Your 1/5 scale experience is not the norm, otherwise it wouldn't be such a hot segment of the hobby right now.

@ Serpent, I do think that HPI will get these out. They are mock ups obviously and you can tell that some of the parts are printed, but they started a campaign for 1/8 scale gas in 2011 and I don't see them backing out. It may not end up being revolutionary though, it might just be a niche in the end.
    *** Support your local tracks ***

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I get my fifth scales on a track and there is also a good group of guys to bash with locally here. They are a blast. If you are running your 1/5 scale in a circle in a field over and over by yourself I could see how it gets old. It's what you make of it. Your 1/5 scale experience is not the norm, otherwise it wouldn't be such a hot segment of the hobby right now.

@ Serpent, I do think that HPI will get these out. They are mock ups obviously and you can tell that some of the parts are printed, but they started a campaign for 1/8 scale gas in 2011 and I don't see them backing out. It may not end up being revolutionary though, it might just be a niche in the end.
    Yup. Lets face it the Savage XS when it was at the show was a printed out prototype that had a sign that said fragile do not touch. Last I looked it was released

Actually all of what I seen that HPI announces at those shows seems to come out. Just some of the stuff takes ages to get over to the US(IF it gets over here at all) for some reason or the other like the Bullet, and a few other that were announced a few years back, and were out all over the globe before HPI US even acknowledged they existed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the engine picture shows the ignition,,,there is no big flywheel,,,,if you look at picture 4 there seen to b what may be a muffler/exhaust on the back of the motor. i bet that a regular gas carb isnt made for such a small gas engine ? very small chain saw gas engines scream,,,up to 11,000 or more rpm,,,probably e=z to tune, set it one time and run it forever.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is some info I got of off RCDriver's website..

"So we spoke with one of the HPI guys, ok, the owner of HPI about the new gas engine. They have been putting in a huge effort to develope the engine. But what we all want to know is… How does it perform. We were told that its just like a Baja engine maintainence-wise, it runs for about 40 minutes on a tank of fuel and pumps out power comparable to .26-.27 nitro engines. HPI is working on getting these fitted to many of their existing platforms. We can’t wait to see this mill in action!"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow. This is looking really interesting. The Savage looks amazing and the size of the gas tank is crazy. Might have to save up and get one.
    A wise man can play the role of a fool. But a fool can never play the role of a wise man...... This is so true.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/5th scale gassers sound like anoying weed eaters not like dirt bikes. Yes I have one. Having a gas car is dirty, smelly, and the performance sucks in camparasin to electric or nitro........

What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpTkF669_g

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does the engine's looks remind anyone else of of the old HPI .15FE's?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

1/5th scale gassers sound like anoying weed eaters not like dirt bikes. Yes I have one. Having a gas car is dirty, smelly, and the performance sucks in camparasin to electric or nitro........

What about this?

yep, sounds like an annoying weed eater, not a dirtbike.
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/5th scale gassers sound like anoying weed eaters not like dirt bikes.
    This seems to come up every time that 1/5 gassers are mentioned anywhere. I don't get why it matters. As far as them sounding like dirt bikes, I guess I can hear it. I suppose it's no more delusional than the people who think their nitro engine sounds like a formula 1 car.

Having a gas car is dirty, smelly...
    I would say nitro and gas are on equal ground when it comes to this. My gasser gets more smelly than my nitro, my nitro gets more messy than my gasser. It pretty much equals out in my eyes.

...and the performance sucks in camparasin to electric or nitro
    I won't argue this. For the most part, the average gasser won't out-perform a nitro or electric (brushless) car. They will in all likelihood beat them in (engine)longevity though (at least nitro anyway). IMO my gasser performs on par with my needs for gasser performance.

........Can't bring it in the house or the whole house will smell of GAS
    I let mine sit in the garage for a few hours before bringing it in the house (if I decide to bring it in the house). That seems to take care of the smell. I realize not everybody has that convenience, but it's worth mentioning.

You won't see the light because you've already formed an opinion, and that's fine. Some people enjoy gassers, others don't see what the hoopla is about. It's just like anything else in this hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you run race fuel in your gasser's then you will get no fuel smell. Mine is sitting the the living room now with 3/4 tank of fuel in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice, really like the XL and D8T gasser. Gas engines are more efficient and easier to use. Will these gas engines makes awesome revving sounds like the engines from the Bajas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont know. The baja's have a much larger engine so they are going to sound different.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro is not hard to tune!!!

Stop basing those comments on experience with crappy Traxxas engines...
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Nitro is not hard to tune!!!

Stop basing those comments on experience with crappy Traxxas engines...
    I agree on this to a degree, nitro is not hard to tune but it depends on the motor and skill lvl. If someone new to the hobby goes and buys a picco, or a sts then its gonna have a learning curve. Someone goes and buys a sh, trx and lrp there more noob friendly and is a good starter motor. I won't say all trx engines are trash but a lot of them have there issues but its still a decent learning platform. I had a sh mill that would not tune for anything, come to find out it had a hair line crack in the crankcase something that the beginner would not of seen.
    pt.1 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rids9ycMW2k
    pt.2 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vCTWvrJc-RE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats so freakin awesome, I hope they dont cost to much.
    If you dont know what your doing, its best to do it quickly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think with a 3speed it will sound good. thing that make the baja make bogg sounds is tall gearing due to be single speed heavy vehicle, I can make my dirtbike sound like that too, just roll into 5th and hammer the throttle. thats my 2cents

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Marco810

i think with a 3speed it will sound good. thing that make the baja make bogg sounds is tall gearing due to be single speed heavy vehicle, I can make my dirtbike sound like that too, just roll into 5th and hammer the throttle. thats my 2cents
    thats why you need a 450, real men ride four strokes...lol
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

meh ive riden those bigbore thumpers, not my style, to easy to tame. Nothing gets my heart racing like my 500 2stroke

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

What about this?

Now thats different, that thing has the power to wieght ratio that would make 1/5th scale fun for me. Thats my biggest problem with 1/5th scale, the power to wieght ratio is poor and the car/truck seem so damn slow to react to any throttle input. This looks about right although the sound is a bit annoying still, (not a show stopper by any means). Now if this thing had a CVT belt drive like a snowmobile it would totally satisfy me bottom to top. This is the best example of a FUN 1/5th scale basher I have seen to date.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/nurnberg/

Supposed to be released next month.
    Its me is that you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to see inside these things. There's no internal pictures and there's no indication if they're ABC or Ringed, plain or needle bearing big end, nothing.
    My stash:
    1 rally modded NTC3, 1 HeliMax Axe CX Nano, 1 Hobbico NexSTAR.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast