Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New HPI 1/8 Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New HPI 1/8 Gassers

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/nurnberg/

Supposed to be released next month.
wow
it does fine tuning itself according ot the page. REALLY WANT.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be pretty sure that their ringed, with roller bearings,

Still some inside pics would be good to see.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Marco810

ORIGINAL: 378

I want to see inside these things. There's no internal pictures and there's no indication if they're ABC or Ringed, plain or needle bearing big end, nothing.
same here, also would like to see port proffile. guessing its ringed, with bushing bearings. needle bearings would be sweet but i would image the cost would just be too much
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

wow
Ignition timing most likely. Pretty standard feature on most gasoline aircraft engines.
ORIGINAL: Marco810

I want to see inside these things. There's no internal pictures and there's no indication if they're ABC or Ringed, plain or needle bearing big end, nothing.
same here, also would like to see port proffile. guessing its ringed, with bushing bearings. needle bearings would be sweet but i would image the cost would just be too much

If it's using plain bearings it will need 10:1 or 15:1 oil mixes. Needle bearings put it into the 30:1>50:1 territory. It would, therefore, be a good idea to pop needle bearings into the big end at least.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Marco810

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

wow
Ignition timing most likely. Pretty standard feature on most gasoline aircraft engines.

If it's using plain bearings it will need 10:1 or 15:1 oil mixes. Needle bearings put it into the 30:1>50:1 territory. It would, therefore, be a good idea to pop needle bearings into the big end at least.
I got a weed eater with bushings that runs 32:1 but yeah 40+:1, makes for a lean mean engine

Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Guys, I wouldn't worry about power if I were you. I was zooming the pictures in and found "8cc" stamped into the case under the exhaust port. If that's the displacement it's going to make tire-shreddingly crazy amounts of torque.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
cumquat

i dont know about y'all, but i want that xs ss. i just wonder what it will cost. the x ss was only $20 or $30 less than the rtr but then again it did come with the engine whereas this doesnt have that cost. if its in the $150 area i'd be a buyer without question but if its $200 i'd have to do a little thinking first. any more than that and it wont sell too well.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i dont know about y'all, but i want that xs ss. i just wonder what it will cost. the x ss was only $20 or $30 less than the rtr but then again it did come with the engine whereas this doesnt have that cost. if its in the $150 area i'd be a buyer without question but if its $200 i'd have to do a little thinking first. any more than that and it wont sell too well.
agree I got a feeling like it seems a lot of manufacturers do with most kits they will price it to the point the RTR is a better buy if you decide to just ebay the electronics
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmmm i hope they do kits for a few of those, the xl looks killer but they still don't seem to have a pipe design for the buggy and other smaller cars. The most looks like there using a box type exhaust but it could be the battery box. Here's a few of the pics, on the buggy you can barley see the box shaped exhaust.

On the sct looking truck you can see it more clearly, but still not a 100%. I think its the pipe because its far to big to be an electronic box and is made from the same thing the pipe on the savage is.

And here is just the snapshot of the 8cc...

I know i have been wanting a 1/5th scale savage since the baja came out and so have many other people, i feel like hpi went half butt on this one. It is better then the first attempt with nitro and the savage front/rear ends but come on i thought they could do better then this. Still interesting in the xl at least, looks more at home.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
DIABLOTAC78

WOW the wait is over i have to have this. i hope they make a conversion kit for savage . the pipe looks like 3D printed , maybe they are designing more pipes.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
DIABLOTAC78

looking at the pictures of savage gas on hpi site . it shows that its not done yet, i have notice the the clucth bell and the spur gear is way far from each other the fly wheel looks 3d printed also and it dont have dogbones on them.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM
DIABLOTAC78

no dog bone

look at the spur gear and theclucth bell . and i would not put my rx close to the ignition box that means glitches
Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: DIABLOTAC78]

look at the spur gear and theclucth bell . and i would not put my rx close to the ignition box that means glitches

Well it's not like there's anywhere else to put the Rx. This isn't some dime-a-dozen 30% 3D airplane here, it's an already cramped 1/8 monster truck.

It's also still a prototype.

Besides, I have a feeling HPI has designed the ignition box where it is sufficiently shielded to be next to the RX like that. On top of that they're gonna have 2.4ghz radios, which are far farr faaarrr less susceptible to interference than AM and FM units are.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 PM
DIABLOTAC78

ignition box need power supplies so it means it's going to get power from the reciever in this car . on rc gas plane they have separate batt. i hope hpi did something about this. i
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM

You don't need to have a separate battery anymore, and honestly I wouldn't run two packs. I hate charging batteries as it is, that's the whole reason I went fuel powered when I went hobby grade, and since 2.4 radios just shrug off the interference from a spark plug that sends AM and FM units into a tizzy it's not a big deal. One large LiFE pack to power everything pl0x.

If I were designing it I'd have a magneto built into the flywheel that powers everything as long as the engine is running. Engine's off? Runs off battery. Engine's turning? Runs off magneto. Never have to charge the Rx pack again!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
DIABLOTAC78

i mean in air planes it needs two battery one for ignition and one for the rx you can use the same battry if you use (i.e. Tech Aero IBE) . but in this car it would share battery with the rx . it would shorten the range of the radio or maybe glitch.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Marco810

wait a sec no more pinching fuel lines or plugin pipe with thumb to kill . took me a while to catch onto that lol, guess im so use to nitro...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
DIABLOTAC78

i hope somebody make also a remote start for this savage gasser .

wait a sec no more pinching fuel lines or plugin pipe with thumb to kill . took me a while to catch onto that lol, guess im so use to nitro...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DIABLOTAC78

i mean in air planes it needs two battery one for ignition and one for the rx you can use the same battry if you use (i.e. Tech Aero IBE) . but in this car it would share battery with the rx . it would shorten the range of the radio or maybe glitch.
You're being paranoid. It isn't going to hurt a thing to use the same pack. As long as that pack has enough capacity it will run fine, and I have a feeling the ignition box will stop working before the radio does(Voltage gets low enough > spark too weak > engine dies > no danger of control loss with this).
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
DIABLOTAC78

hpi isnt perfect , i remember my baja 5b back in the day i said the battery is fine, the wheels are fine , the clutch are fine ,servos is fine. first run of my baja front wheel popped off, then run away , clutch is not engaging and bolt screw snaps . i have a hunch that this is going to be a problem . and plus i use own a 28% krill katana with 50cc dle-55 engine , and this was my concern when i had the plane . have you heard about ignition noise that cdi engine make? anyway im just saying maybe im wrong . maybe hpi make this time a perfect rc
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Nasa has had a couple of lemons too. Doesn't mean everything they build is junk. Same goes for HPI, you bought a lemon 5B that isn't representative of all 5Bs. They may not be perfect, but there's enough up at stake with this that they're going to make sure it's a reliable design.

On a somewhat related note, if this is truly an 8cc engine, it stands to reason you could fit a prop on it and use it in a .30-.50 sized airplane as well. Yank the recoil starter, obv, other than that it looks like it'd work pretty well. We won't know for sure until we get numbers though. If it's ported to rev to the moon and back that might not be possible, if it's ported to put out boatloads of torque and pull tall gears(Redline around 14,000 to 16,000 RPM) it might be a feasible aircraft engine as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 PM
dmzamora

ORIGINAL: DIABLOTAC78

WOW the wait is over i have to have this. i hope they make a conversion kit for savage . the pipe looks like 3D printed , maybe they are designing more pipes.
That won't be a cheap conversion:

- Engine + ignition
- New engine mount
- New right chassis plate
- New pipe
- New front gas tank
- New radio/ignition tray
- New spur gear

That would hit $300-350 very easily, if not more.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
kochj

Doesn't look like GASoline....just sparked nitro....
It doesn't have a walbro style carb...but if all is needed is the standard carb...then guys should be able to convert there nitro engies with a 30$ ignition...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM

You don't need a walbro style carb to have a functional gasoline engine. My F150 doesn't have one. My lawnmower doesn't have one. There's no reason to claim this engine doesn't run on gas because it's got a glow-style carb on it.

Besides, using a walbro style on an engine this size would be impracticable.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
kochj

I doubt it has a bearing on the crank..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.