Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How to properly check the temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 PM
jcmiller05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to properly check the temp

Hey guys,

I have a new Savage X 4.6 and just have a general question about temping it. I have a temp meter that is cylindrical and it will actually go all the way down into the cylinder head. When the truck is warmed up it reads about 280 degrees if I put it all the way down by the glow plug. However, if I hold it about half way down into the head, it reads about 240 degrees.

I know that 240 is ideal for this truck so hopefully the halfway down method is the correct way.

Any thoughts?

-Jason
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
209mark123

Default RE: How to properly check the temp

Just to let you know that the temps listed in the book are very conservative when I still was running a nitro I had the same truck, and on a hot day my temps didnt even come close to what the book listed. Learn how to go off how the truck is running forget the temp gun you will run around in circles trying to keep it at 250 or below. Go off of the performance and how it sounds that the best way in my opinion. Also keep a eye on the smoke trail thats always a good way to. When I first started off I was doing the same thing trying to keep it at 250 most the times my temps were around 220 at idle and then after some wide open runs they would be around 280. I would keep it around there to be safe. Also the reason your getting different readings is when you put it all the way down to the head thats the correct one the reason it reads 240 half way down is cause the gauge is farther away from the head. Just what I have learned from experience.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
danny_guk

I'm having this exact issue at the moment, I bought a temperature gun and in order to keep the engine within the ranges in the book I have to run it quite rich.

Mine is a Savage 25 thought, with the stock T25 engine, would the provided temps for that engine also be conservative?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Keep it under 320-310 deg and you will be fine.