Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage decision?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Savage decision?

Need some input. I've always wanted a nitro Savage but am having second thoughts lately. A friend of mine bought a Savage Flux last year and this thing hasn't run an hour! Now yes, he tries to break it but it just seems like a pile of crap. I watch all these video's of guys jumping them over houses and what not. My friend jumps his and blows diff gears out like they're made of plastic. I guess the other issue I have is with HPI in general. I have a nitro MT2 which is the most fragile RC I've ever seen. I must break something every week on this thing. I have a Redcat Monsoon and Tornado which represent both ends of the spectrum for Redcat. The Tornado which is one of the least expensive nitro rc's out hardley ever breaks and will blow the MT2 away in power, even though the engines are both .18.

So any advise from people with Savage experience would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Savage decision?

for the MT2 yes they can be fragile(I found the front arms the only issue personally)... Kinda why I stopped using mine(well I bought a 1/8th scale buggy which helped to stop using it), oddly my MT1 was way more stout.

As for the savage flux... Few questions on what your friend is doing to destroy the diffs
1) Is he running it on 4S or 6S? If 6S that is an insane amount of force being put on the diffs (way more than a nitro engine could pull)
2) How is he landing? Is he landing with the throttle on? If so that will toast a diff on any RC if done enough times...

I've not run my flux much (not due to issues just due to lack of places to run it currently), but I have beat the hell out of my Savage X including taking it to a BMX park and jumping it non-stop off 10 foot tall jumps sending it 20 feet in the air(mostly bad landings) for well over an hour straight. I'm only guessing your buddy is doing the noob to jumping thing and landing with some throttle on so the wheels don't get to spin freely. Bad jumps for the most part can cause a lot of damage if you land wrong.

Also its like other RC's I've owned I got a few multiples of the same model which are set up the same, and will find one to be more fragile than the next. Could be something to do with the day the parts were made if the mix was off slightly.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
powpow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your buddy has a electric... The only reason I like rc is because they are mini engines and you get to pretend you are a machanic (and bash!). I have my dads old savage 25 and am waiting for a k4.6 engine. .03 ci larger.  Its like a smart car vs a good ol desiel truck. You just can't beat the sound of a good cylinder. Get a nitro is where I am hinting at if you have not noticed.

MY savage 25 is not a" pile of crap".
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: powpow

Your buddy has a electric... The only reason I like rc is because they are mini engines and you get to pretend you are a machanic (and bash!). I have my dads old savage 25 and am waiting for a k4.6 engine. .03 ci larger. Its like a smart car vs a good ol desiel truck. You just can't beat the sound of a good cylinder. Get a nitro is where I am hinting at if you have not noticed.

MY savage 25 is not a'' pile of crap''.
nah hes saying he wants the nitro, but is basing its diffs durability off the flux(which is not the best thing to do due to the excessive force being put on them).
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Dads like rc too

Yes, not questioning nitro or brushless, just asking if there is a big difference between the two. Obviously the engine and tranny, but is the chassis and suspension setup similiar? He runs 6s and is experienced. He also has a fleet of HPI Vorzas. You wouldn't believe the ramp jumps he does with these. Continually jumps over the height of the gutters on the house, then lands on grass. It never breaks. His Savage Flux couldn't handle 1/2 of what his Vorza can handle. I really want the Savage X SS but I don't want a headache like my friends Savage Flux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFpr...oGf1q-8X0aSlk=
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
moezer

i have a savage X the older one not the new ones that are out now. I have only broke my diff gears 1 time and it was due to lack of shimming i upgraded to bullet proof diffs and shimmed them good and sht raced on to walls. Also is friend running his flux in the cold? that might be another problem
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Yes, not questioning nitro or brushless, just asking if there is a big difference between the two. Obviously the engine and tranny, but is the chassis and suspension setup similiar? He runs 6s and is experienced. He also has a fleet of HPI Vorzas. You wouldn't believe the ramp jumps he does with these. Continually jumps over the height of the gutters on the house, then lands on grass. It never breaks. His Savage Flux couldn't handle 1/2 of what his Vorza can handle. I really want the Savage X SS but I don't want a headache like my friends Savage Flux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFpr...oGf1q-8X0aSlk=
only huge difference outside the power plant is one gear in the transmission, as I think the newer X's have the BP diff gears. The TVP's are also a tad different but that is only to allow battery packs instead of a tank. Outside those 2 differences the trucks are virtually identical.

moezer has a good point on the shimming
Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Dads like rc too

Thanks SyCo, I think you've answered my question. I guess I was not very clear to begin with, but I mentioned the diffs as an example but to be honest it a lot of things. I understand things break on everything. It just seems my friends Savage breaks something everytime he runs it. After destroying diff gears all the time, he switched to 4s a few months ago, but it just seems like something is constantly breaking, popping, or snapping. Again, I understand you have to go over these trucks like anything else, but their reputation to me has been that the Savage is nearly indestructible, and so far my friends Savage Flux has been disappointing. I still want one and think its something I'll have to see for myself.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
209mark123

Your friend must have got a lemon then by flux HPhas been going strong for almost 2 months with nothing broken. This includes skate parks bmx tracks and everything in between so its would not because of Ibaby it. The nitro savages are just as good granted they break things but what rc dosnt, But Iwould have to say out of the three savages Iown 1 being the flux hp 2 being the savage x 4.6 3 being the flux xs the flux hp seems the most durable.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
steed2-inactive

stay away from the savage x ss, it has weaker driveshafts,dogbones, and the k 4.6 isnt as good as the f4.6. the f 4.6 is noticably faster and tunes much easier than the k series engine. go with the rtr version, you will be happy you did. Also i have been running my savage flux for the last years and a half on 6s, still original diff. (throttle control......[&:])
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
dragonbat13

Get the Xl and be done with it. Your probably gonna spend the extra money on anything else to get it up to what the xl is anyway. I see tons of builds extending their chassis, buying all kinds of parts to widen the stance and everybody ends up installing BP diffs. Buy a new truck, sell the new engine and get something better like an LRP or Picco. Also do the BP 3 speed mod and you have a pretty darn good truck. You dont see much carnage on the nitro side of the savage but the electric side you do. But as stated above its when people are making insane power.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: dragonbat13

Get the Xl and be done with it. Your probably gonna spend the extra money on anything else to get it up to what the xl is anyway. I see tons of builds extending their chassis, buying all kinds of parts to widen the stance and everybody ends up installing BP diffs. Buy a new truck, sell the new engine and get something better like an LRP or Picco. Also do the BP 3 speed mod and you have a pretty darn good truck. You dont see much carnage on the nitro side of the savage but the electric side you do. But as stated above its when people are making insane power.
I've never seen the XL on person but it seems like it was built more for speed than torque just looking at the specs. I personally think once you get over 50mph things start to get in your way really fast. Also, I'm not sure my budget will stretch to the XL. The Savage X was kind of my limit.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
-SomeGuy-

I've never seen the XL on person but it seems like it was built more for speed than torque just looking at the specs. I personally think once you get over 50mph things start to get in your way really fast. Also, I'm not sure my budget will stretch to the XL. The Savage X was kind of my limit.
So get the X, enjoy it and maybe look at upgrading it to XL specs next year.

You're fooling yourself if you think that you can buy the truck and that's it for spending, you will be repairing it as often as you're playing with it. You will need spare parts and screws. Plus the cost of tools if you dont have at least a basic set, fuel, batteries etc... The two best tools i bought for my RC's is an air compressor and a Dremel, total 500$ just for those two. If you already have these tools and more then you will enjoy working on it, without a good selection of tools its more of a chore than anything else... IMO of course.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

So get the X, enjoy it and maybe look at upgrading it to XL specs next year.

You're fooling yourself if you think that you can buy the truck and that's it for spending, you will be repairing it as often as you're playing with it. You will need spare parts and screws. Plus the cost of tools if you dont have at least a basic set, fuel, batteries etc... The two best tools i bought for my RC's is an air compressor and a Dremel, total 500$ just for those two. If you already have these tools and more then you will enjoy working on it, without a good selection of tools its more of a chore than anything else... IMO of course.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Dads like rc too

Some guy- I understand about the costs of being in the hobby, just didn't want to spend what the XL costs.  I'd rather have a fleet of lower priced trucks which I can fix their weaknesses, rather than one higher priced truck that's still going to break and need modifications as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

^+1^
I bought an X last year and after about a week wished I had an XL instead, so I bought one and sold the X. No regrets. The 3sp transmission is nice and the longer and wider stance make it alot more stable.

-As for durability, I beat the hell out of my Savage and the only thing I have broken isa diff gear, once. And the thing with Savages (exluding the .25)differentials is they are the easiest part to replace.Its like 4 or 6 bolts and its out.

ORIGINAL: steed2

stay away from the savage x ss, it has weaker driveshafts,dogbones, and the k 4.6 isnt as good as the f4.6. the f 4.6 is noticably faster and tunes much easier than the k series engine. go with the rtr version, you will be happy you did. Also i have been running my savage flux for the last years and a half on 6s, still original diff. (throttle control......[&:])
Arguable.While I've heard of issues with the K, I've heard of issues with the F too. The K4.6 is the most reliable engine I have ever owned, short of the gasoline engine in my 5SC.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, double post.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I have an X and prefer it to stay an X. It is a monster truck. It is supose to be tall, narrow and short. If you want something that handles well buy a Truggy.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I have an X and prefer it to stay an X. It is a monster truck. It is supose to be tall, narrow and short. If you want something that handles well buy a Truggy.
agree 100%