Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X 4.6 Help

Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
mudfrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X 4.6 Help

Icame across a used Savage X4.6. Ipicked it up and I'm having some issues starting it. I need some "tips" on what to do lol.

It seems as if it floods way to easily, this could be because it's not actually cleared out whenI think it is. But after turning it over once with the roto start 2 (about 3-4 seconds) it will spew fuel from the muffler. Iremove the glow plug and turn it over quite a few times till fuel no longer sprays out from where the glow plug was. I bought a AAbattery ignitor but the glow plug barely gets red, it does not turn colors down towards the base of it. I'm assuming I need a better battery? I searched You Tube but could not find any actual instructional videos on starting it, just breaking in an engine.

The local hobby shop said to turn it upsaid down and turn the engine over to remove the fuel, he also said to lean out the fuel a little. I will attempt that tonight. I would like to go ahead and order a couple spare glow plugs to try but there are quite a few out there, anyone care to point me in the right direction.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
battyone

Default RE: Savage X 4.6 Help

be sure your ignitor wand is well  charged  and  get  some  new  glow plugs  and  test one  before  you put  it  into  the  head..it  should  go a  bright orange  colour.... good  luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
mudfrog

Default RE: Savage X 4.6 Help

I went and bought new batteries and I got it started. Now I'm struggling to get it running smooth.  In order to keep it from bogging down and cutting out I need to run the engine fairly rich.  The biggest issue with that is the brakes do not work properly.  It takes about 30 yards to get to a stand still.