Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Can't get my Savage X 4.6 tuned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM
mudfrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my Savage X 4.6 tuned.

I bought a used Savage X 4.6. I'm having a horrible time getting it tuned. I had it running briefly but it would idle way to fast and moved without giving it gas. It seems no matter what I do it has a negative affect on the tune. This is my first Nitro RC so I'm learning. I've replaced the glow plug, the local hobby shop gave me a Duratrax Carbon Speed Glow Plug.

Currently as it sits it will not run more than a couple seconds idling. If I start off it dies. From what I read this means it's too lean so I backed off the low speed ratio mix, It does not seem to make any difference though. Should Iturn all 3 screws all the way to the left (counter clockwise) till they stop then proceed to dial it in from there? The HPIvideo said you can not hurt the engine by giving it to much fuel, only by to little fuel.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
powpow

Default RE: Can't get my Savage X 4.6 tuned.

1) return to stock neddle settings. Just google it. probably like 3-4 out for hsn and flush for lsn
2) take off air filter. look through the venturi and see how wide the valve is while pressing on brakes. turn idle screw clockwise to make it wider. make it about 1-2mm
3) dont screw with the neddles to much!!!!!!!
4)dont screw with the neddles to much. 1/8th turns at most!
5) look at squirlod's channel on youtube on how to tune.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. You bought a used Savage with a used engine. Who knows how it was maintained, how many gallons are through it, etc, etc. The engine just might be done and you might have to end up getting a new one. If you do need a new one you have plenty of options from good budget engines to high dollar, high performance engines. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 AM
mudfrog

I got it to idle but was having issues with the wheels always spinning.  I pulled the engine and the clutch shoe springs are messed up.  I ordered new shoes so that should fix that problem.  While I have the engine out is there any maintenance I should do to it?