Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Electric Savage conversion BIG THANKS TO DAN FROM KERSHAW DESIGNS

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Electric Savage conversion BIG THANKS TO DAN FROM KERSHAW DESIGNS

Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Vortec_Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Savage conversion BIG THANKS TO DAN FROM KERSHAW DESIGNS

My electric Savage project is nearing completion. She started out as a Savage 25 RTR back in 2003. Two engines and thousands of dollars in mods (literally like almost $2g's) later I decided that I wanted a simple electric truck. Charge it and go. I'm hooked on my Savage XS's simplicity but the XS is too small for my tastes. The death of the Sirio .27 gave me the perfect excuse. I figured I'd take the twin 550 motors and ESC from an E-Savage and I'd be done. Boy was I in for a rude awakening.

I want to thank Dan from Kershaw Designs for the help in solving some of my gearing issues and for making great products for the Savage. If anyone needs any help on a project like this, Dan is the go to guy.

Recent modifications:
Savage XL Chassis kit (with longer rear dog bone)
Kershaw Designs dual engine mount
Twin HPI GT550 motors
Kershaw Designs 15T hardened pinions and adapters
Robinson Racing 52T steel spur (I already had one on the truck but it was a little worn so I replaced it)
HPI GT309 speed control
Dual Venom 5000mah packs
Battery leads converted to Dean's connectors
Trans brake eliminated
Trans converted to direct drive (brakes and reverse through ESC)

I haven't measured the top speed on her yet but she flies around the back yard. Mounting the battery packs next to the servo box up front makes for a near perfect 50/50 weight ratio so no wheelies but no matter how I come off the lip, she lands the same way. I'm making a Grand Cherokee body from an Excalade body kit so I'm not quite done yet. More pics and video to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Savage25electricconversion.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	2236436

Name:	Savage25EC.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2236437

Name:	Savage25XLEC.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2236438
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Vortec_Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Savage conversion BIG THANKS TO DAN FROM KERSHAW DESIGNS

She's finally done. I picked up a set of Flux HP battery boxes off Ebay and mounted them to the XL chassis.

That was it for mechanicals. The Grand Cherokee body proved more difficult than I wanted to attempt. Besides, it's for bashing around anyway. I ended up trimming out and painting an Esclade body to resemble my Jeep.

Unplug it and go!