Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Savage XL 5.9 break in

I just got a Savage Xl 5.9 & wondering how to break it in?
    What is the best way to break in the K5.9?
    I was thinking about using the Traxxas Method or Heat Cycle method, instead of lettting it idle.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Savage XL 5.9 break in

I pretty much did the HPI book method on my K5.9 and it's at 13 gallons and still runs good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the first 3 tanks did u just let it idle? Im a lil confused cuz the book and dvd say it supposed to idle and that ur supposed to adjust the throttle servo with ur finger, but are the tires supposed to spin if its just idling?
    Between these first three did u let it cool?
    How did u stop the engine, pinch fuel line, cover exhaust tip w/rag, or just let it run out, I've heard the last is bad??
    What temp did u keep it at for break idle and then actually breaking it in by driving in circles?? Is somewhere between 200F-240F ok?
    After it was broke in did u have to tune it alot? I think book says to just leave mid speed needle, did u adjust it at all or just the low & high speed needles?
    Does it start up good and keep running?
    Sorry about so many questions, this is my first nitro and i want a good engine and good experience. Thanks for any feedback, it s appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, I just tried to start up my new Savage 5.9.   Having some problems it won't turn over or begin to start at all.  It floods every time i try to start it. Please help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Take out the glowplug and remove the air filter and intake tube, then hold it upside down and crank it over to blow the fuel out of the engine.
    Then put the glowplug in the ignitor and leave it there until it glows bright and all signs of fuel are gone.
    (it usually crakles after being flooded)

Put the truck on a stand so the wheels hang free, and once you get it running adjust the idle just so it stays running and not too high.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I took the glow plug out and blew the fuel out.
    Actually I'm not sure if it was flooded or not, cuz the Rotostart would still spin and I read later that it wouldn't spin if flooded, correct? I think the problem was my glow starter. I don't think I had it charged completely, but I tried using a regular double A, didn't work, I thought a regular AA battery would work the same as a re-chargable nimh AA, guess not. The glow starter instructions didn't specify how long to charge for. It's a Duratrax ultra slim glow starter. Anyone know why this thing doesn't work with regular AA batts? It's the type you push down and twist to lock on. Maybe I should have gotten the type with the spring loaded lever near the handle instead, but this is what the LHS guy recommended.
    Anyways, getting back to staring the K5.9, just finished charging the glow starter, so will try it again tomorrow.
    Earlier when I tested the plugs they would just barely get warm, but now they glow red hot in a few seconds.

One more thing not sure about. Do u need to have the radio on when idling it? I tried moving the throttle servo with my finger like the guy did on the DVD with the switch ON & OFF, but the servo would go to its original position??
    Thanks for all the comments and help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just tried to start the K5.9 again for the first time to do break.  No success again. I know my glow igniter is working cuz it turned red when i tested the plug.  Flipped the truck over  removed plug, took off the gas line that goes from tank to the carb, then used the Rotostart to flush the fuel out. Do I need undo both hoses and take off air filter.  But the Rotostart would still spin, so not certain it was flooded.  Pz help, this killing me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know if someone helped you out yet... But if not follow these videos best you can and all should be well...

FIRST PART
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONj3hCENZvE

SECOND PART
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2Px...feature=relmfu

Hopes this helps.. GOOD LUCK!!!
    HPI SAVAGE XL - REDCAT MONSOON - OFNA HYPER 7 TQ SPORT - OFNA ULTRA GT LX - REDCAT TORNADO S3O

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I looked at those, thanks. Now I'm about finished with the 3rd tank breaking it in on the block.  Today it started fine and did a 3 min idle & stopped it. Then did it again but this time it dies after 30 seconds.  My HSN is almost 1 full turn lean.  Should I lean it more?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Put the HSN back to where it was, at idle on the bench the LSN controls fuel flow so you, well... here read this reply I made earlier on my forum.
    Then watch the vids.

Well when it's cold out you need to have a richer mixture to make up for the denser air charge - IE more oxygen molecules in a given volume of air need more fuel to maintain a correct fuel ratio.
    Don't think of lean and rich as causing higher or lower engine temps (even tho it does affect it), but as an engine lubrication thing.
    Outside temps may be low enough to keep the engine cool but you need that rich setting for lube during break in since fuel is the only place the engine gets oil from.
    Try setting the throttle slightly open either with the radio trim or with radio powered off and manually move the servo open just off idle to maintain an idle.
    Once it warms up a bit idle back down as low as you can and have it stay running.
    You may need to lean the LSN slightly to keep it idling but I would try the above first.
    It should be making a puddle of oil from the pipe during the idle tanks of break-in.

Just for kicks here's some vid of me doing some bench break-in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acH2A...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kys5...layer_embedded

Lol I say don't think about temps then I am checking temps constantly in those vids. :lol:
    IIRC it was 70F or so when I broke that engine in, but you can see the adjustments I make on the LSN and that engine (as mentioned in the vid) had no available factory settings so I was "winging it".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got it running decent now, thanks.  Sometimes it dies when i put the brakes on tho. suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another problem. It was running fine but when i went to restart it and i found a tiny black screw right next to the glow plug. It about 3mm long.  The plug was bad when i tested it, but when i put a new plug in i felt a click when it was tight that i never felt before.  I started it just to see if it would still start, fired right up, but i killed it right away to prevent possible damage.

What is this tiny screw?  Its just round in the hollow end, no allen size.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Screw came form the ignitor, still works tho. Didnt expect it was fro the ignitor cuz it worked on a new plug.  Seems like alot of things can go wrong with nitro and be tricky, I still dig it tho, just trying to get over the noob stage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any suggestions on how to keep it from dying when applying brakes?  Which needle should I adjust, idle, low, high maybe??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Common problem, check your inbox.