Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Flux battery Minimum Amp question

Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Mysterious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flux battery Minimum Amp question

Like everyone after puffing out a battery, learning what actually means what and does what seems so much more important.

I read that the minimum amp for Flux's should be 120-125amp. But I see everyone on here including myself using hobbyking Turnigys rated 5200mah 2S 20C.... now the math on that is:

5200 x 20c / 1000 = 104amp

So at least 16-21amp below the minimum recommended.

So is it unsafe to use these batteries then? Is that "close" enough? Or....? I never see high mAh capacity Turnigys with 25C or greater sold on Hobbyking... 20C seems to be the norm.

Explanation?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flux battery Minimum Amp question

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14991
there 30-40C :P
ones I use with my savage with a 150A ESC/motor combo, and on my truggy with the CC MM 2200kv combo in it

as I put in your other thread your batteries mainly puffed due to storage, and if they were 20C yes you probably taxed them too much specially after they were damaged.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14991
there 30-40C :P
ones I use with my savage with a 150A ESC/motor combo, and on my truggy with the CC MM 2200kv combo in it

as I put in your other thread your batteries mainly puffed due to storage, and if they were 20C yes you probably taxed them too much specially after they were damaged.
My bad, I reread the rating... it is 30-40C so the amp calculation works ... thanks for correcting me
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM
jjonesfla
My Feedback: (46)

Without onboard AMP meter there is no way to know the load while the truck is running, all you can do is monitor ESC and Motor temps to guess at the load. So yes a 20c Pack is a little light for 1/8 scale Truck on off road conditions, lowering your pinion would give a little headroom for Amperes if you already own the 20c's.

I shoot for 135 F on both Motor and ESC under heavy load for several minutes to ensure my batts will survive, WOT runs again and again for long distances give a good test for batts and Pinion combination. High quality batts can take abuse far better but I opt for thoses chinese noc-offs and am having great success at 50% savings in cost.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjonesfla

Without onboard AMP meter there is no way to know the load while the truck is running, all you can do is monitor ESC and Motor temps to guess at the load. So yes a 20c Pack is a little light for 1/8 scale Truck on off road conditions, lowering your pinion would give a little headroom for Amperes if you already own the 20c's.

I shoot for 135 F on both Motor and ESC under heavy load for several minutes to ensure my batts will survive, WOT runs again and again for long distances give a good test for batts and Pinion combination. High quality batts can take abuse far better but I opt for thoses chinese noc-offs and am having great success at 50% savings in cost.
well you can go by the max the motor can pull, and go over that.
For example if a battery is rated 160Amps if a MM(what is in the savage flux its rated 120A) pulls 130A's continually either the motor or esc will burn out.
Its when you cut it close that there could be that room where the batteries might not be good enough.