Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Advise on clutch shoes for my Savage??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on clutch shoes for my Savage??

I ran my Savage 25 yesterday for the first time in about year and a half. It needs new clutch shoes but not sure what to get, I have been away from my RC hobbies and have forgoten even some of the very basics. I know the ones I have are cheep aluminum ones and I have never been happy with the way the truck launches at the start. What is a good clutch that will grab out of the hole for wheelies and hill climbs and such? I have a stock HPI 25 engine and a steel spur gear.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
sparky 25

Default RE: Advise on clutch shoes for my Savage??

I ran a set of hongnor long life alloy shoes,

Along with kyosho 1.1mm clutch springs on my last savage,

This combo Worked good for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried various aluminum shoes in the hope they'd last longer than composite, but the opposite happened. I was always shaving the shoe edges and cleaning up the inside of the CB. So I went back to composite. And I'm happy with them.

However, I had heard good things about Dynamite Max-Life shoes (P/N DYNP5180), so I tired a set. I must admit, they seem to hold up very well. I havn't had to change them or trim them since I put them in.

As far as performance, all I can say is I have no problem with wheelies, and they seem to work just fine.

Here's a link:

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...rodID=DYNP5180
Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM
sharkattack99

these are what i use http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tchClutch-Shim love them easy to install and i have over a gallon of fuel through the engine i have them on and they still look like new they grab nice still wheelie like theres no tomorrow. a little spendy but i think well worth it.

also need this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-TTR-OFNA-etc im sure they can be found else were.

just my .02 cents
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 AM
llkoolskillet

Got almost 3 gallons off a set of integy 7075 clutch kit, Ive ran the OFNA long life shoes with 1.0mm springs, they lasted 20min. The Maxlife shoes are awesome!!! Tons of grip and power transfer, bad thing is with my geaing of 20/47 I burnt the clutch up in about an hours run time.

There is almost no difference between the integy shoes, ofna, or maxlife. Your springs make the most difference in longevity and wear. 0.9m will pop off the line quickly, 1.0mm is like the happy medium. 1.1mm take a little rpm to enguage. You will wear the shoes down faster consantly doing HS runs. Something different you can mount the shoes backwards and they last a little longer! No joke