Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A Newbie has a problem

Hi,

I am totally new to RC cars and trucks. I happened to buy a Savage X 4.6 a few days ago.
    In the break-in process, if I accerlate it with my controller, the engine suddenly stops.
    It keeps idling well, if not I try to accerlate it (I went through two tanks so far).
    Please tell me what the problem is and how I can solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A Newbie has a problem

Are you saying that it idles ok, but every time you try to accelerate it cuts out? If so, you need to adjust the 'high speed' needle on the engine. Without hearing it or seeing it, it's hard to say if you need to richen it (turn it counter-clockwise) or lean it (turn it clockwise).

Listen to the engine, when it cuts out, does it seem like it is getting drowned in fuel, burbling before stopping, or does it sound like it's starved? Most likely its too rich. When you adjust that needle, turn it in only in 1 hour increments (imagine the screw is a clockface, only turn 1 hour at a time). Start by turning it IN (clockwise, leaning the engine) 1 hour, then try accelerating again. If it gets worse, you're going the wrong direction, repeat but this time turning counter clockwise. Don't get frustrated and start making large adjustments, as this will just cause you to go past the 'sweet spot' and may make the whole process a lot more time consuming.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Are you saying that it idles ok, but every time you try to accelerate it cuts out? If so, you need to adjust the 'high speed' needle on the engine. Without hearing it or seeing it, it's hard to say if you need to richen it (turn it counter-clockwise) or lean it (turn it clockwise).

Listen to the engine, when it cuts out, does it seem like it is getting drowned in fuel, burbling before stopping, or does it sound like it's starved? Most likely its too rich. When you adjust that needle, turn it in only in 1 hour increments (imagine the screw is a clockface, only turn 1 hour at a time). Start by turning it IN (clockwise, leaning the engine) 1 hour, then try accelerating again. If it gets worse, you're going the wrong direction, repeat but this time turning counter clockwise. Don't get frustrated and start making large adjustments, as this will just cause you to go past the 'sweet spot' and may make the whole process a lot more time consuming.
    agree 100% with that statement I found HPI's stock settings are way too rich on the engines I've owned from them. My one (K4.6) I couldn't even get started cause it was too rich when it was new.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your helps. 
    The problem was solved. Yes, you were right. It was way too rich, and I leaned it out by almost two full rotations.
    Now it works great, and I am having fun with it.
    Thank you so much for your helps guys!