Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hpi 3savage 3 speed tranny

hi all, i hav recently built the savage x ss, it came with the 2 speed tranny so i upgraded to the 3 speed, purchased the complete 3 speed tranny and installed it in my truck, question is when i run my truck i dont notice a shift from 1st to second but i hear it shift from 2nd to 3rd, it may just be me .seems like it takes off good but cant get a wheely yet im still breaking the engine in, after break-in and fine tuning maybe it will or could it possibly be taking off in second gear

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: hpi 3savage 3 speed tranny

It wont take off in 2nd but it will shift from 1st to 3rd. My advice is to finish your break in then start messing with the tranny. The motor is more important than the tranny right now.

When you are done, adjust the 3rd, turn the screw in clockwise about a quarter turn then drive the truck. What this is doing is lengthening the time it takes to shift.

In order for you to adjust 2nd gear you have to pull 3rd gear off to do this and its easy but a chore at the same time.

Start with 3rd then move to 2nd. It will take some time a patients but rememeber to make it shift later turn the screw in. If you want it to shift sooner turn the screw out

You will want to do this mod because the idler and drive gears are crap and will explode.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm
    ERCM Picco/ Endbleed power should be the only combo allowed in a Savage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hate my 3 speed trans, so much that it is now in a box with the stock servos. I did not have the patience to ajust it.
    HPI Savage X SH .28 P8
    HPI Savage X Picco .28
    OFNA Picco .21 off-road buggy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes its a time comsuming thing but so worth it when you get it set up properly
    ERCM Picco/ Endbleed power should be the only combo allowed in a Savage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok engine broke in and tuned, it wheelys off the line now so it has to be in 1st, dont hear the shift to second but hear it shift to 3rd.   it must be shifting to second or 1st gear is 1 heca long gear gear. it must shift to second off the line really quick, im thinking it will prolly do about 50 top in. i hav a dynamite big red im going to put on it, from what i here it has more power than the hpi 4.6. i guess ill find out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, i cant hear mine shift into second when im flooring it. Try this. Just take off kinda slow, dont floor it. Just let it build up speed slowly. You should be able to hear is shift then, although it is quite subtle. Not a big rpm drop from first to second. When i had the hpi .25 in it you could hear it, but not with a lrp .28....
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450