Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

hpi 3savage 3 speed tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM
lilhorsefly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi 3savage 3 speed tranny

hi all, i hav recently built the savage x ss, it came with the 2 speed tranny so i upgraded to the 3 speed, purchased the complete 3 speed tranny and installed it in my truck, question is when i run my truck i dont notice a shift from 1st to second but i hear it shift from 2nd to 3rd, it may just be me .seems like it takes off good but cant get a wheely yet im still breaking the engine in, after break-in and fine tuning maybe it will or could it possibly be taking off in second gear
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: hpi 3savage 3 speed tranny

It wont take off in 2nd but it will shift from 1st to 3rd. My advice is to finish your break in then start messing with the tranny. The motor is more important than the tranny right now.

When you are done, adjust the 3rd, turn the screw in clockwise about a quarter turn then drive the truck. What this is doing is lengthening the time it takes to shift.

In order for you to adjust 2nd gear you have to pull 3rd gear off to do this and its easy but a chore at the same time.

Start with 3rd then move to 2nd. It will take some time a patients but rememeber to make it shift later turn the screw in. If you want it to shift sooner turn the screw out

You will want to do this mod because the idler and drive gears are crap and will explode.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Alain2

I hate my 3 speed trans, so much that it is now in a box with the stock servos. I did not have the patience to ajust it.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
llkoolskillet

yes its a time comsuming thing but so worth it when you get it set up properly
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
lilhorsefly1

ok engine broke in and tuned, it wheelys off the line now so it has to be in 1st, dont hear the shift to second but hear it shift to 3rd.   it must be shifting to second or 1st gear is 1 heca long gear gear. it must shift to second off the line really quick, im thinking it will prolly do about 50 top in. i hav a dynamite big red im going to put on it, from what i here it has more power than the hpi 4.6. i guess ill find out
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
ejc34710

Yea, i cant hear mine shift into second when im flooring it. Try this. Just take off kinda slow, dont floor it. Just let it build up speed slowly. You should be able to hear is shift then, although it is quite subtle. Not a big rpm drop from first to second. When i had the hpi .25 in it you could hear it, but not with a lrp .28....