Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flux HP stock wheel nuts

Using the stock flanged wheel nuts that came with the Flux HP, one of them keeps falling off about every 5 minutes of driving. There aren't many wheel nuts that fit these wheels because the centerhole is too big. Is there a solution for this?

-Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flux HP stock wheel nuts

Crank the nut as tight as you can get it or use blue loctite on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have tightened the hell out of these things. We also used loctite once but I don't think we let it set long enough. Next run will tell. Just wanted to see if people were having the same issue and what they did to fix it

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the issue a couple of times.. But it hasn't happened lately but I also use a screw gun to tighten the with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Geea, how much torque can these things take? You should throw a torque wrench on them and see what the number is lol

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, let's just say when I take one off it takes some torque to get it off.... I have a video clip on youtube of mine coming of while I am driving it....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well after suing locktite and cranking them down, those ones stayed on. Now a different wheel nut came off yesterday after about 10 minutes and we lost it. Back to order more or figure something else out. You know what really gets me? HPI supplied what seems to be extra wheel nuts, but they don;t have the big flange on it, so they don't fit!

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeh, those nuts are for the old Savage X wheels which have a different hub.

There is a video on youtube, how to bashproof your savage, it has the fix for the wheelnuts. The other very expensive alternative is to do a Truggy CVD conversion like I did, but for that you need like 60 bucks of universals/CVDs, 30 bucks of diff outdrives, also get the 7.5mm OFNA CRT extended hubs. It's expensive, but then you have truggy style fitment, bulletproof CVDs and the wheels don't fall off anymore.

Here's the vid with the ghetto but highly effective pin fix which will also work fine (it even can make old stripped wheels usable again)... the video I refer to and some other titbits of advice I gave you which you might have forgotten, are in your old thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11158480
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, I still remember that thread. The downside is that he isn't really looking to spend that kind of money on the truck. I mean, the wheel  nuts should be a simple fix. That as of right now is the only issue he is having. It's an extremely annoying issue. I cannot find any other wheel nuts that would seem to work without having to uprgad the hubs/rims to accomodate a different wheel nut.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm gonna shout, sorry, at this point I feel its necessary.

IT IS A SIMPLE FIX, WATCH THE VIDEO!!! USE THE PIN METHOD!! ITS FREE! lol. Come on man, that's like the 4th time I've told you that. It works, I've done it, it keeps the wheels and nuts on and even revives stripped wheels, plus you get to feel all homebrew cos you modified it yourself.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yeh, those nuts are for the old Savage X wheels which have a different hub.

There is a video on youtube, how to bashproof your savage, it has the fix for the wheelnuts. The other very expensive alternative is to do a Truggy CVD conversion like I did, but for that you need like 60 bucks of universals/CVDs, 30 bucks of diff outdrives, also get the 7.5mm OFNA CRT extended hubs. It's expensive, but then you have truggy style fitment, bulletproof CVDs and the wheels don't fall off anymore.

Here's the vid with the ghetto but highly effective pin fix which will also work fine (it even can make old stripped wheels usable again)... the video I refer to and some other titbits of advice I gave you which you might have forgotten, are in your old thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11158480
    That's what I read and I though that fixing the wheel nuts was going to cost money. My bad Foxy lol. It's already been a long week for me. I'm wiped. I willwatch the vid during my lunch break and I will post to let you know I watched it lol.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm gonna shout, sorry, at this point I feel its necessary.

IT IS A SIMPLE FIX, WATCH THE VIDEO!!! USE THE PIN METHOD!! ITS FREE! lol. Come on man, that's like the 4th time I've told you that. It works, I've done it, it keeps the wheels and nuts on and even revives stripped wheels, plus you get to feel all homebrew cos you modified it yourself.
    Well Foxy, I have watched the video, but it doesn't really point me in the right direction. The hubs are not stripped, the wheel nuts keep unthreading and popping off and then the wheel flies off.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah ha, you are looking at effect, not cause. The nuts get undone because the center of the wheel hub deforms on acceleration, braking and hard landings (the hex is stopped mechanically, but the soft plastic rotates on the hex just a little bit before returning to its original shape). Since the nuts are flanged, and the hexes are not, the deformation of the wheel turns the nut a little, then a little more, then it comes off. By using the pin fix mentioned around the 8th minute of the vid, you ensure that the wheel is more secure to the HEX than it is to the nut, therefore, less deformation, but more importantly, the nuts don't undo because the wheel is strongly united to the hex. It's all caused by the ability of the wheel hub to rotate on the hex, which is totally prevented by the pin fix. If you continue running it without doing the fix, the wheel will eventually strip. I bet 20 bucks if you look carefully, you can already see evidence of this happening, and just like a stripped screwhead, once it starts giving way, it completely fails very very quickly.

I promise you the pin trick will solve your problem.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah ha, you are looking at effect, not cause. The nuts get undone because the center of the wheel hub deforms on acceleration, braking and hard landings (the hex is stopped mechanically, but the soft plastic rotates on the hex just a little bit before returning to its original shape). Since the nuts are flanged, and the hexes are not, the deformation of the wheel turns the nut a little, then a little more, then it comes off. By using the pin fix mentioned around the 8th minute of the vid, you ensure that the wheel is more secure to the HEX than it is to the nut, therefore, less deformation, but more importantly, the nuts don't undo because the wheel is strongly united to the hex. It's all caused by the ability of the wheel hub to rotate on the hex, which is totally prevented by the pin fix. If you continue running it without doing the fix, the wheel will eventually strip. I bet 20 bucks if you look carefully, you can already see evidence of this happening, and just like a stripped screwhead, once it starts giving way, it completely fails very very quickly.

I promise you the pin trick will solve your problem.
    I was actually thinking aboutthis last night. It makes sense. And now that you say it, I have looked at the hub and I thought to myself "Are these hubs showing sings of being stripped?" It sounds like that is a clear indication that this is what is happening. You are a genius Foxy! Good thing you yelled at me, I would have never understood lol

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Always welcome dude
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now just comes the part of getting the pins, in which I think the truck came with extras, and getting my father inlaw to accept the fact of drilling a hole in his rim lol. This ought to be good.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well tell him if he doesn't he'll be replacing the whole set including tires very soon.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive had the same problem if you wanna save money I suggest RED loctite and let it dry for 24 hours should fix it no problem. But as someone who has had the same problem I ended up ordering a set of integy 17mm hex's. Gives the truck a little more width and seem to fit in the rims far more snugly. The use of the bigger nut on these also cover a lot more space than the stock ones so more overall surface pressure. Dont know if this helps but I thought I would throw it out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 209mark123

Ive had the same problem if you wanna save money I suggest RED loctite and let it dry for 24 hours should fix it no problem. But as someone who has had the same problem I ended up ordering a set of integy 17mm hex's. Gives the truck a little more width and seem to fit in the rims far more snugly. The use of the bigger nut on these also cover a lot more space than the stock ones so more overall surface pressure. Dont know if this helps but I thought I would throw it out there.
    That's a good option, I didn't realise they were a direct fit. The problem I've had with other 17mm buggy hexes is that they need the axle to be hollow and accept a grub screw to hold the pin in. I guess the Integy ones are different? You got a link?
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ERCM Picco/ Endbleed power should be the only combo allowed in a Savage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes these are specifically for the savage www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C22926-Aluminum-Hex-Wheel-Hub-17mm-Savage-New-/290767531251. They seem to fit a lot tighter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw some bad reviews on those integy hexs, personally I like the AE buggy style and you can buy them with the serated edge to lock them onto the rim like the Baja wheels
    ERCM Picco/ Endbleed power should be the only combo allowed in a Savage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here's what i have done, best part is you can still use the large flux dogbones/outdrives/axles. I have yet to lose a wheel.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11072380/tm.htm
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So far Ihavent had any problems with them. Time will tell Iguess normally Idont use anything integy but Ithought Iwould give these a shot.