Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Savage Flux not going

Hello guys,

I just received my hpi savage flux yesterday in the mail. This is my first electric truck so I am a little bit lost. I charged the batteries and followed all the instructions. Later I took it for a quick spin and after like 3 or 4 mins the car just stopped running. It seems like the engine is still spinning but just not hooking up to the transmission. Now when I accelerate I just here the noise of the engine but the car does not go. Does anyone know what is going on?

RE: Savage Flux not going

Your pinion gear has moved and is not making contact with the spur gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why does that happen? How can I fix it?

Thanks for the help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Easy basically the pinion gear which is the one on the motor has a very small screw in it holding it to the shaft. It walks out over time happened to me 5 mins after Igot the thing. Pull the screw all the way out you can do this without taking the motor and everything off. Use some red loctite and screw it back in just make sure your gear it properly lined up with your spur gear, also on the shaft of the motor there is a flat spot make sure that flat spot is lined up with the little set screw. Like Isaid use red loctite and let it sit for about 24 hours and dry and you will be good to go.

Don't use the "RED" loctite, if you do you won't be able to get it off. You want to use "BLUE" loctite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys.. i appreciate the help..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Red loctite is fine you will be able to get it off blue is way to weak for the kind of power this thing has. I have been able to get it off without using heat no problem well over 20 times. Even after some good bashing with red loctite it will eventually come loose by itself so dont worry about it and use red trust me on this one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 209mark123

Red loctite is fine you will be able to get it off blue is way to weak for the kind of power this thing has. I have been able to get it off without using heat no problem well over 20 times. Even after some good bashing with red loctite it will eventually come loose by itself so dont worry about it and use red trust me on this one.
    20 times? what is requiring you to fidget with the set screw so much?
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

20 might be a exaggeration Ihave taken it apart quite a few times messing with different gearing options though probably more like 15. Also had one pinion strip out once point is that red loctite if fine for the pinion gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wouldn't use any thing less than red loctite on the pinion screw,

Mine even came loose once with red loctite applied,

Put a small amount of loctite onto the shaft before sliding on the pinion stopped it from coming loose since,

For removal, unwind the grub screw,
    grab the motor shaft with pointy pliers and vice grips on the pinion and twist back and forth,

Comes off just fine,

Its me is that you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it comes loose eventually no matter what you use, it will just take longer with red. mine went about 4 months though when I used red but it finally backed off. The trick is letting it sit for about 24 hours before you run it after you apply the loctite gives it a chance to dry.

I agree with the pinion issue, however, could it be that the slipper has worked it's way loose?  The clutch on a Flux is finnicky at best and works better when you crank on the tension nut.
    Part-time RC Mechanic
    RDD Raceway Hobby Shop / Madera, CA
    Slot Cars - RC - Models - Toys

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with what has been said above and its the exact same issue i had with mine about 15 minutes into my first run. Im guessing the little screw with holds the pinion to the motor shaft has come loose. 

What i recommend you do which is the same thing i did after this happened is to take the tuck inside and start pulling parts apart and putting lock-tite where required. 
    The truck is going to probably continue to fall apart unless this is done. I know it sucks to have to do this since you just bought it and cant wait to rip it up with it, but its something you must do by choice or something you will have to do anyway and have to purchase the parts that come loose and you will then have to order them.

Another important thing i did rite away when i heard it was tighten the slipper clutch all the way. Im lucky i caught this in time and am sure many who dont have a little experience with just keep on driving and fry their slipper.

Its recommended to do this with any RTR you purchase especially one like the Savage Flux which has so much torque and power out of that brushless system it comes with.

Besides that its an amazing truck and one of my top 3 ever purchased off roaders.

Enjoy it!!!!