Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 25 Diff upgrade to bullet proof

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 25 Diff upgrade to bullet proof

Hey All,
I have upgraded my diff and put it back together the spider gears are smooth and no binding. But when i hold it and pull on hte cup joint it has quite a lot of play i have searched hi and low all over and emails HPI with now response back. Has anyone found just the big washer/shim 6X19X0.2MM 86827c? i am going to call HPI Tuesday to see if they can send me some..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20793.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1797773  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Savage 25 Diff upgrade to bullet proof

I can't find those by themselves online. Did the new diff include a set? Ihave the 29/9 BP diffs in my Flux and there is some play in the outdrive cups. It's almost impossible to shim out all the slack. They don't have issues when I run my truck.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM
ace@

I just bought the ring and pinion and that didn't come with the washers. If i buy the whole aluminum diff cup it comes with the washers but i have a sweet flat black aluminum diff cup made by maximizer. They don't even make them any more and are very strong. But every time i go in to clean and over haul them the diff fliud would be gone so that washer also holds the O-Ring in place nice and tight. the washer is only 0.2MM thick so i hope it takes out some play also.

I am calling HPI firts thing in the mornng to see if they will ship me a couple so i can rebuild my diffs...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
ace@

Called HPI and they are looking for some spare ones in the back. They are not for sale seprate and that sucks!!!

But hte guy at HPI is looking he sent me emails that he will keep checking!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
ace@

call HPI and spoke to Scott he is looking for spare ones for me
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM
llkoolskillet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitro-Sa...item2ec17976fa

Just do the Vorza/Savage Diff mod and make a real BP diff... it eliminates the weak link, the 10mm bearing on the alloy cup. Plus you dont need that washer for the mod

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=94304
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
ace@

i just went out and bouthgt the Diff cups just for the washers!!!! HPI said they will look in the back but can't guarantee anything... Let see how they hold up i will post sone pic later tonight.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
pitbull14218

I need to do this to my savage, it's the main reason I haven't driven it lately, I blew my front diff and I already replaced my rear diff but now I'm concerned because I don't remember if I used a flux diff or an X diff in the rear... I don't want to have two different gear ratios, although I don't know if they changed the ratios from savage to savage. I have an old savage 25 with a losi Mach 427 (teal head) so I basically blew up the rare diff on day one with the new engine lol
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM
pitbull14218

I used an old X diff so apparently I need an X SS diff.... Now if I do the Vorza setup can I do it to any diff or do I need matching diffs? Sorry I'm a noob on this stuff.