Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Getting gears to mesh straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Mysterious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting gears to mesh straight

My friends kid ruined the gear on the motor and the one it meshes with on my Savage Flux....I changhed both but I'm having trouble getting the motor lined up straight with the brackets and screwed down... it keeps ending up a tad turned because when I rotate the gears without the set screw tightened it gets pushed down the length of the shaft after some rotations. I don't want to tighten it down crooked cause that'll wear the gearings down. Is there a triclk to getting the motor and brackets square?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Mysterious

Default RE: Getting gears to mesh straight

no suggestions?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Read it twice, sorry I run nitro.
Did the kid crash it and bend anything?
How did the "kid ruined the gear on the motor and the one it meshes with on my Savage Flux." happen?
This don't happen from just driving it unless it wasn't set right in the first place, I would imagine...
Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Mysterious

going reverse and punched throttle, tore up the teeth on the 2 gears
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
The Mad Modder

I don't think I understand the situation. When you tighten the pinion(the gear on the motor), it looks crooked comparing it to the motor plate?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
llkoolskillet

Sounds like somethings bent or cracked. Pull the motor and check the motor plate, it could be cracked causing the mill alignment. Same thing with bent TVPs.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having difficulty understanding the question also.  The way I interpret it is that he's referring to the hex-head screws that hold the motor clamps to the chassis plate.  If you crank them down in the same spot over and over then they can create small indentations in the plate.  So, when you need to shift the motor the screw tend to work their way back into the old position which can make aligning the motor and setting mesh more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I'm having difficulty understanding the question also. The way I interpret it is that he's referring to the hex-head screws that hold the motor clamps to the chassis plate. If you crank them down in the same spot over and over then they can create small indentations in the plate. So, when you need to shift the motor the screw tend to work their way back into the old position which can make aligning the motor and setting mesh more difficult than it needs to be.
More of less yes... I'm trying to re-tighten the motor in place and the pinion just seems to be at the slightest angle to the other gear it meshes with... can't seem to square it away perfectly...worried it'll wear those 2 gears over time.......don't think anything is bent, both gears are brand new.... just have trouble lining everything square and screwing it down as so
Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing to do is just get the motor mount JUST snug and then twist the motor so its alligned and meshed, and then tighten it down.

very common issue that t-maxxes have, there is just a bit of side to side play so you have to finagle it to get it right.

a little bit of a angle wont hurt, just make sure the mesh is right with just a TINY bit of play.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I'm having difficulty understanding the question also. The way I interpret it is that he's referring to the hex-head screws that hold the motor clamps to the chassis plate. If you crank them down in the same spot over and over then they can create small indentations in the plate. So, when you need to shift the motor the screw tend to work their way back into the old position which can make aligning the motor and setting mesh more difficult than it needs to be.
More of less yes... I'm trying to re-tighten the motor in place and the pinion just seems to be at the slightest angle to the other gear it meshes with... can't seem to square it away perfectly...worried it'll wear those 2 gears over time.......don't think anything is bent, both gears are brand new.... just have trouble lining everything square and screwing it down as so
Take a piece of emery cloth and sand it smooth again so the indents from the old mounting spots are gone, install washers so the bolt heads don't sink back to the same spot.

When I tighten engine mounts, I snug them in place and get perfect gear mesh, fully tighten, recheck the mesh, then remove one at a time and loctite.
Let dry overnight.