Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage xl owb problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
indianrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage xl owb problem

So the owb on my xl started slipping again,the last time it happened I had replaced the owb only.Does it makes sense to replace the shaft too this time?
I am tired of the roto start,would replacing it for an axial pull start work?Will it extend the life of my owb?
thanks
Abhishek
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: Savage xl owb problem

Yes when the OWB starts slipping and needs to be replaced, make sure you replace the shaft as well. Also when the new OWB comes in make sure it says germany on it. The ones that say japan are a bad batch and prematurely fail
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Also the bushing in the backplate can become worn on the K5.9 and engines with internal OWB's, misaligning the shaft in the OWB causing the OWB to slip whether the OWB and shaft are new or not.
I installed an o-ring on (the outside of the backplate) the OWB shaft to seal an airleak once, and in turn it fixed my OWB issue as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 AM
indianrc

Umm............what kind of an o ring? I didn't get you.
and will a pull start help me extend the life of my owb?
Can I get a replacement bushing for my backplate?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Just some random O-ring I had in my toolbox, the bushing is part of the backplate.

Sorry, I used to have a writeup on how to do it but it got lost on a website I used to manage.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:38 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Shoot some brake cleaner in the OWB to get any and all grease out of it.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

I had posted this a while back but I am just going to do a copy paste here, so i hope this helps some of you guys out here. Hey there Savage owners I've got some good news about the one-way bearings. As everyone knows these things have a nasty habit of breaking with the roto-start system, and we all know it's not cheap to fix/replace usuallly around $15.00 on ebay and $25.00 at your LHS. Well good news, I can help you get one for about $6.00 whenever you want. It seems that the one-way bearings have mutiple uses. The actual bearing itself is inside the hex shaped sleeve, so if you have a bench vise this step is easy for you. You will have to remove the bearing from it's sleeve by simply pressing it out, place it in your vice, use a small enough socket and hammer it out of the hex-nut sleeve, then press your new one in. Simple eh? Well be careful not to crack the casing. Now for the good part go to your GOOGLE search engine and type in HF0612, this will pull up a lot of sites that carry the one-way bearing we all need at some point or another. Don't believe me? Well look at the end of your one way and you notice that it has "GERMANY HFO612" on its end. The T-REX one way is only 5.97 plus shipping, at this price you can afford to by more than one, so your never caught off guard. Let me know what you think.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM
qaz393

loosen glow plug when starting. 1/4 can reduce stress by a ton.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Borneoben

Hear are some links to HF0612 OWB alternatives to the 22 Dollar HPI one.

This would be my no 1 choice as its rated for High Tourque and Boca is high quality 
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/One-Way-Bearings/19145/6x10x12-HF0612R

This would be No2 choice
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/6mm/Kit2054

plus there are these
http://www.rcbearings.com/6x10x12-hf0612-one-way/

And this one is handiny if you are already placing an order at A Main 
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_375_1483_1884/products_id/28580/n/Beam-One-way-Bearing-HF0612

Hopes this helps

Ben

Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
indianrc

Thankyou guys!Thanks a tonn!for the advice but now I am in 10th grade which is considered as the most important year of school(well atleast here in India it is) so all of my cars,planes,tools etc have been stored in the attic as they were considered as distractions.So,I am gonna be able to do anything related to R/C only after April 2013,goodbye then,see you in april.
Abhishek