Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

First Savage Broken Part

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Savage Broken Part

This morning, I took the Savage out for a "pre-bash" outing (see my YouTubechannel below).

While I'm still a newbie, I HAVE learned that it ;'s best to "pre-bash" new vehicles so you can weed out some weak-points before you really go balls to the wall..

My Savage held up well. Again, it was a light run (video below) but I was happy with it.

Unfortunately, the front steering rod end popped out. I was able to fix it no problem, but it happened again after I put it back on.

My questions:

1. Is this typical with theX 4.6?Please notethe rod enddidnot tear open...instead it just keeps popping out.
2. Is there an aftermarket part I can get (preferably one with a metal bushing?

All in all it seems pretty tough, buy little dissapointed in the rod-end. Looks like I have to buya parts-tree just to replace it.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First Savage Broken Part

use a washer to hold it on with the screw

I had that issue on my flux in the rear but there I just went with one piece carriers which is not an option on the front.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
JohnP2

Thank you, sir. I like the idea...hopefully it will still provide it the needed play. I was hoping RPM made some rod ends for the Savage, but it does not appear so.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If rpm made rod ends it would be the worst product on the market. Their plastic is so malleable it's ridiculous. I have a love hate relationship with rpm, yes they don't break to often but I guess not
Being that soft.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: steed2

If rpm made rod ends it would be the worst product on the market. Their plastic is so malleable it's ridiculous. I have a love hate relationship with rpm, yes they don't break to often but I guess not
Being that soft.
dunno on the MT2, and a few other HPI's I've had I found the HPI cups to pop off if you looked at them the wrong way
The RPM ones (yes they DO make them) on the other hand I found to be extremely tight, and hard as hell to get over the ball stud. Also they would bind up due to their tightness and before use you pretty much had to move them a lot to get them a tad looser.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
steed2-inactive

I stand corrected syco. I would have to agree with you as I have no experience with them. I just figured being soft but like I said I never used them. Cheers bud
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

+1 to the washers.

Also, get yourself some cheaper arms by getting the original Savage 25 arms. They are much thicker and more durable than what is on the current X. I have not broken any arms on any of my Savages, but I have read that that is a good upgrade.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: steed2

Being that soft.
The RPM ones (yes they DO make them) on the other hand I found to be extremely tight, and hard as hell to get over the ball stud. Also they would bind up due to their tightness and before use you pretty much had to move them a lot to get them a tad looser.
So you are saying RPM DOES make them? If so, do you have a part number? I'll buy them immediately.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
jamesfarrell

I'm out of RC about 10 years, come back and there's still no decent ball and cup out there.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Borneoben

Dont forget that the balls are designed to pop off to limit the damage

They could have engineered a much stronger ball link but that would just send the impact force some where else and break something else.

If you take away this week point you could end up breaking something else more expensive probably the servo??

just my thoughts