Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Performed a few upgrades to the HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Performed a few upgrades to the HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performed a few upgrades to the HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy

I bought a HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy back in December and figured I would share my upgrades with you guys in case you thought about adding some better equipment to it.

I only suggest equipment that I would run in my R/Cs and fairly tied to certain brands that I trust than have been using for many years. You can use othermanufactures equipmentwiththis conversion.

First thing I did was install a 5 Cell Orion 1600Mah NiMH receiver battery pack into the battery box. Used some double sided tape to hold the battery packin place. To get it to work properly with the BEC connector on the power switch. I cut the BEC Connector off the 4 Cell Alkaline battery pack than I cut the leads on the new oneabout one inch from the battery pack and staggered the connections about 1/2 inch apart on a second cut. I did this prevent the leads from ever coming in close contact with each other even though the connections were sealed with electrical tape. Off Road running causes many partsto move around and better safe than sorry.

I soldered in the BEC Connector inline with the cut leads thanI taped up the staggeredsoldered connections andhung the Futaba style connector out of the battery box as a charge lead.. I did this so I can still use the stock switch and have a charge lead hanging out of the battery box so I will not have to open it anytime soon.

Next I installed a Spektrum SR200 Receiver so I could use it with the Spektrum DX3C radio system. The antenna lead was not as long as the factory lead so I drilled a hole in the battery box cover over the Receiver and with CA Glue glued an antenna shaft into battery box cover. I used 2 tie straps to hold it in place on both sidesand glued the tie straps to the antenna shaft in place. It does not move and is not glued to the Battery Box cover. The tie straps act as a collar on each side of the antenna shaft.

Next I installed a Spektrum S6030 Titanium Geared 278 OZ Servo into it because the stock servo would barely turn the wheels while it sat on the ground.. The stock servo bytes and would barely turn the tires when sitting on the ground.

With the power to the transmitter and receiver on I connected the servo horn. This is important when installing the servo horn to the steering servo becauseyou want it centered. While they were still on I made adjustments to the Toe settings to get a 0 degree toe and than adjusted the Chamber settings to 90 degrees. I have found it is better to adjust the Toe settings first then adjust the Chamber settings.

Next I used some body spacers on the posts because the body fit too loose and would jump around. I had some Rubber and plasticones laying around to adjust the spacing and the body now fits tight to the posts when I install the clips.

Now when spring time comes I can break in the engine and have it race ready