Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI NITRO MT

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
walkac3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI NITRO MT

What type of truck is it ? What traxxas model compares to it and how fast will she run? I seen one on craigslist for $70.00 and want to see if this was good for a first nitro truck ?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI NITRO MT

ORIGINAL: walkac3

What type of truck is it ? What traxxas model compares to it and how fast will she run? I seen one on craigslist for $70.00 and want to see if this was good for a first nitro truck ?
If you are asking which nitro monster truck is made by HPI, it is most likely a Savage X.

The comparable TraxxasI believe is the T-Maxx.

As far as howfasr the Savage Xruns....it's fast enough. Seriously, you can only get a MT so fast beforeyou begin to loose control (at least in my experience). and theSavage reaches that speed.If you found one for 70 bucks, I'd buy it but be prepared to sink a lot of money into it as it must have massive problems to be sold for 70.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wouldn't recommend it as a 1st seeing it was stopped production in 2001 parts for it are scarce, you can use MT2 parts on it but most of the time it needs extensive mods...

I started with a MT1 used a few years back, and honestly in the 1st 2-3 months of owning it I sunk prolly 20% more into the truck then buying a new one from the hobby shop

if you want a good nitro for a beginner look to see if you can find a hyper 7, or a jammin X1 they will blow the MT1 and MT2 away in durability, and performance

Side note I don't recommend a used nitro as a 1st RC/1st nitro deal cause more often then not the engines are trashed (like my MT1's), and as being new to nitro you will sit there thinking you are the problem get frustrated, and quit (I almost did).
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
walkac3

Thanks for the input. i decieded not to go with the HPI. Instead a buddy sold me a t maxx 2.5
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uhhhh... wish I could say you got the better deal but... the t-maxx's are extremely notorious for breaking easily.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM
walkac3

I know my brother brought a brand new t maxx from the hooby shop for $500.00. AS soon as the broke her in control arms were broken, replaced and broke again. For my first truck only paid $100.00 bucks for it. Iwent to order a new motor for it so just waiting to get her out the shop. will post pics soon
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM
mdh1979

Good luck,

Matt
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 AM
pitbull14218

I have an old hpi nitro mt and its been good so far, I broke the throttle linkage in the winter since it was cold out, so I fabbed up a metal one. Haven't broke anything on it yet, runs good for having a .15

Thinking of putting a bigger engine in it.