Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage 25 frozen carb

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage 25 frozen carb

I bought my son a trophy truggy for christmas. I decide to get my savage 25 up and running but my slide carb is frozen. I am having difficulty removing the carb so I could soak it in some fuel. my next option is to replace the engine with something stronger. I don't want to spend too much on getting it up and running because I could take that same money and get a new model.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: savage 25 frozen carb

So even when it is thawed, the carb slide is still stuck? Have you tried heating it up any? Regardless, I'd definitely flush it out once you get the parts moving correctly.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: savage 25 frozen carb

The slide is probably stuck due to gummed up fuel residue. Rubbing alcohol (or fuel) can loosen it. Once apart, you can clean all the parts with alcohol. And you can do this with the carb on the engine, but it's easier to work on if you remove the carb. Plus, then you can soak the carb body in alcohol to get it clean too. In fact, soaking the whole carb in alcohol for a little while is probably best before you start any dissasembly.

Before you remove the carb, loosen the Pinch bolt so there's a small space between the bolt head (or nut) and the side of the engine block. Gently tap the Pinch Bolt assembly from the same side. This will help loosen the "grab" in case the Pinch Bolt has wedged itself against the carb body.

If you are still running the Nitro-Star 25, try not to twist the carb when trying to loosen it. That carb has a metal band around the plastic carb body where it inserts into the engine block. The carb body has two pastic protrusions that line up with holes in the metal band. Twisting the carb can cause these protrusions to shear off. There is a fix for that, but it's not easy. So once you're sure the Pinch Bolt is loose, just pull straight up, maybe with a slight rocking motion.